Overseas TV History

Interesting use of a Phil Collins song!

4 Likes

According to THIS bio, Childs joined the ABC in mid-2004.

2 Likes

MTN made a very good choice when they picked “Something Happened on the Way to Heaven” as the theme for its news programs. It’s a marvellous, catchy song that builds up a tension that captures the attention of viewers.

3 Likes

Today is Election Day in the U.S., so here’s some election night coverage from 1952 as seen on CBS:

3 Likes

Election coverage from NBC back in 1948, one of the first election coverage in America at the time I believe.

3 Likes

And for a different perspective, here’s a report from ORF in Austria about their coverage of U.S. elections through the years:

2 Likes

NBC Movie intro for The Empire Strikes Back premiere 22 Nov 1987. (Movie opener also used by Seven here in Australia).

Better quality

5 Likes

And also used as the ident for the BSkyB’s The Movie Channel in the UK in 1991

3 Likes

And, in a modified form, by the (defunct) La Cinq in France:

3 Likes

Is anyone else getting serious Deja Vu vibes?

Here’s what happens when a station has no money or technology of its own to produce or commission CG animation. In 1988, Canal 9 Buenos Aires stole a movie opener from ABC (US) and used 20th Century Fox’s famous fanfare for one of its flick strands :rofl:

3 Likes

One movie session that it’s still remembered by many people here in Buenos Aires was Canal 13’s El Mundo del Espectaculo, a staple of Monday night’s viewing for years. This program ocassionally aired other kind of events, such as awards or music concerts. They used Wagon Wheel Watusi (soundtrack of the 1965 movie “Baby the Rain Must Fall”, composed by Elmer Bernstein) as its theme between the early 80s to 1993. Here’s an opener from 1992, just before they aired the flick “The Name of the Rose” (1986).

In 1994, Canal 13 ordered a new version of the theme (composed by Eddie Sierra) and combining it with modern animated graphics to improve its identity. Here’s a snippet from that same year, where the Chuck Norris film “Braddock: Missing in Action III” (1988) is introduced.

2 Likes

Providence, Rhode Island, early 1990s:

“So, team, did you come up with some slogans we could use?”
“This is what I have: ‘From the cornerstone of Southern New England broadcasting.’”
“I’d keep it short and snappy: ‘First with the news.’”
“I thought long and hard, and I think this historical reference might work: ‘From generation to generation.’”
“Well, it’s the early 1990s, so what about ‘Into the nineties and beyond’”?

“Hmm. I can’t decide. I know, why not use them all and put them all in the open?”

2 Likes

“Coming next” slides and program lineups from AFN Europe, 1980s and '90s:

2 Likes

From 2009, a brief, five-minute history of KHON in Hawaii:

2 Likes

I’m bit sceptical if were even possible for tv to be picked up across the altainic like this, but according to this description from the video it is.
“This four-minute compilation from 1938 exists only because of a technological fluke and the enthusiasm of two television buffs, one in Britain and the other in America where, thanks to freak atmospheric conditions, it was picked up and recorded on a cine camera placed in front of a television screen as the images came in.
Andrew Emmerson, the British enthusiast, spent five years tracking down the recording and believes it is the only surviving example of pre-war live high-definition British television.”
If this is correct it might make the first time television from Britain reached the Atlantic live.

4 Likes

Here’s more about transatlantic long-distance (DX) TV reception from that era:

2 Likes

Given the sort of frequencies they were using to transmit BBC TV back then, it would have been possible. Heck, the old 405 line low VHF transmissions have been picked up as far away as Melbourne. It’s called F2 propagation.

4 Likes

A historical compilation of news opens from GBC in the tiny (pop.: 34,000) British overseas territory of Gibraltar since the 1980s:

2 Likes

The news from Channel 9, Andina de Televisión, in Peru, 1984:

2 Likes