Orange is the New Brown

Orange is the New Brown

Behind the scenes on Orange is the New Brown with Broden Kelly, Nazeem Hussain and Urzila Carlson / Photo credit Tony Mott

Screen Australia has today announced a slate of production funding including new comedy series Orange is the New Brown for Channel Seven.

It is a six part comedy series that will reflect contemporary Australian life using one-off sketches, original and recurring characters and TV parodies. Orange is the New Brown is a groundbreaking new series that turns the sketch comedy genre on its head featuring rising stars of local comedy as well as some special guests.

Produced by Jack Kain, executive produced by Johnny Lowry, directed by Hayden Guppy and written by Nazeem Hussain, Joel Slack-Smith, Sophie Braham, Richard Thorp, Penny Greenhalgh and Heidi Regan.

Details

6 x 24mins
Screentime Pty Ltd
Producer: Jack Kain
Executive: Producer Johnny Lowry
Director: Hayden Guppy
Writers: Nazeem Hussain, Joel Slack Smith, Sophie Braham, Richard Thorp, Penny Greenhalgh, Heidi Regan

ORANGE IS THE NEW BROWN is the hilarious new sketch comedy series from Nazeem Hussain , featuring an ensemble cast of this country’s hottest comedy stars plus some big-name appearances.

Nazeem is joined by Urzila Carlson ( Have You Been Paying Attention? ), stand up sensation Becky Lucas , Matt Okine ( The Other Guy ) and Broden Kelly , one third of comedy group Aunty Donna .

Also making regular appearances are the most seasoned and popular performers in the country including Kat Stewart , Claudia Karvan , Tim Minchin , Gary Sweet , Firass Dirani and Sigrid Thornton.

“This was a really fun show to make” said Nazeem. “I got to see things I thought I’d never see. Kat Stewart dating a 95-year-old man, Tim Minchin arguing with Kamahl and Sigrid Thornton getting frisky with a skeleton.”

“But to be honest I’m just using this show as a stepping stone to Home and Away . Any role will do. I’d even settle for the Uber Eats driver at the diner.”

Following on from Nazeem’s cult hits Salam Café and Legally Brown , ORANGE IS THE NEW BROWN continues the comedian’s brand of race, politics and pop-culture with a twist.

From a Real Housewives-type melodrama set in a prison to racial stereotypes when playing charades, this is the show that believes the biggest laughs can be found right under your nose, shamelessly poking fun at real life and modern Australia.

ORANGE IS THE NEW BROWN is a Screentime Production and coming soon to Channel Seven.

2 Likes

Video here:

2 Likes

Good to see Seven trying comedy. The odds are against it but I hope people give it a go.

6 Likes

Pretty strong cast.

1 Like

Good to see indeed but they need way more content than this in order to fix the Ten-style hole they have this year.

That is so over the top. They are the number one network and don’t have nowhere near the problems Ten do.

2 Likes

mp4_000001560mp4_000007120mp4_000033520mp4_000043480mp4_000018000mp4_000035960mp4_000052840mp4_000056000mp4_000057960

1 Like

Sketch comedies are so hard to get right.
Why can’t the commercials take a risk with a legit scripted comedy/drama something in the vein of Rosehaven, Please Like Me, The Family Law all brilliant Australian comedies.

Like Here Come The Habibs and StreetSmart? :wink:

1 Like

I am really looking forward to this.

I’ll give you Habibis but not StreetSmart that show was so absurd it may as well have been a sketch comedy.
Even Stan have taken a punt with The Other Guy.

Don’t forget Russell Coight’s All Aussie Adventures.

Also coming up on Ten are How To Stay Married and Mr Black.

Nothing about this show says 7 to me, but good on them for giving it a go I guess cause not much else is working for them currently.

4 Likes

Are they allowed to use names that are similar to other shows I mean Brown instead of Black almost sounds like the show on Netflix…

Completely intentional and a play on words and themes.

It has nothing to do with the original show so why can’t they use it?

3 Likes

No mention of this at the up-fronts - hopefully just because it will be on air in 2018 soon. It is excellent - funniest skit show in 10 years.

Has it started already?

I’d say it’s likely TV.Cynic may have been privy to a advanced copy…

1 Like

No timeslot yet - still waiting. I hope they treat it well - please not Thursday at 8.30 though!! I’ve seen the first episode that Seven released for preview.

6 Likes