Operation: Live

OPERATION: LIVE

Heart-stopping Australian TV first coming to Seven in 2019

Coming to Channel Seven in 2019, OPERATION: LIVE is a unique TV event broadcasting life-changing operations live in their entirety from Australia’s leading hospitals.

During the two-night event, audiences will witness open-heart surgery and the birth of a baby, both in real time with a multi-camera set up capturing every compelling moment from the first incision to the very last stitch with the patient’s life in the surgeon’s hands.

Commenting on the upcoming TV event, Seven’s Director of Programming, Angus Ross, said OPERATION: LIVE would demystify exactly what unfolds during surgery and underline the brilliant work that takes place in our hospitals.

“This event will give audiences a front row seat to a fascinating world that’s normally off limits,” he said. “When the format aired in the UK, social media was flooded with questions and overwhelming praise for the medical teams involved with people completely in awe of what they had seen.

“Working with ITV Studios Australia and some of Australia’s top-tier hospitals and their elite surgeons, we’re privileged to present this innovative experience for Australian audiences.”

OPERATION: LIVE will feature expert commentary from Australian trained cardiothoracic surgeon Dr Nikki Stamp FRACS. Dr Stamp will explain the stages of the operation as they happen, working with the surgeon performing the operation.

One of only 11 female cardiothoracic surgeons in Australia and a leading advocate for heart health, Dr Stamp’s research has been published in numerous leading medical journals including the ANZ Journal of Surgery and the British Medical Journal. She also teaches medical students and surgical trainees.

Alongside the drama and intricate theatre process, audiences will share the nerve-wracking wait with the patient’s closest family as they sit outside the theatre while their loved one undergoes surgery.

OPERATION: LIVE is an ITV Studios Australia production for Channel Seven. OPERATION: LIVE was created by The Garden Productions, part of ITV Studios.

Obviously Emergency Call failed to fire so they’re trying something like this.

Ah no thanks :nauseated_face:

4 Likes

Yuck. :face_vomiting:

The birth of a baby timed for exactly 7:30/8:30pm? Would have to be induced or a c-section, I would assume.

1 Like

Worst part:

1 Like

Most operations would be minor with no nerve-wracking wait. When I had mine earlier in the year my friend dropped me off at 8:00am then visited me in hospital at about 7:00pm. The chance of anything happening was minimal.

Not a natural birth then? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Hopefully they don’t send a roaming Brian Taylor into the operating theatre.

8 Likes

Saw a bit of this (or similar) when I was in the UK a month back. Oddly fascinating for about 5 minutes then it’s grim.

1 Like

Don’t think i’ll be watching this. Understand that some people may like this sort of thing, but it sounds pretty awful to me.

I mean, we could compete with Netflix and Stan’s catalogue of world class series and offer our audience the same quality content in an attempt to revive our dying medium.

Or we could just, you know, sʜᴏᴡ ᴀ ᴡᴏᴍᴀɴ ɢɪᴠɪɴɢ ʙɪʀᴛʜ ʟɪᴠᴇ ɪɴ ᴘʀɪᴍᴇᴛɪᴍᴇ.

Either/or.

2 Likes

I think it’s an innovative idea that will spark curiosity and draw a big audience.

1 Like

It’s probably just bogans playing this - Live.

1 Like

Channel 4 in the UK did this almost 10 years ago (Surgery Live, IIRC SBS aired it here)… not exactly a new concept.

1 Like

They have not claimed it to be a new concept.

Has any Australian television network done it before?

Wasn’t there a show on SBS where they dissected dead bodies live ? Guy was Gunther or something?

So what happens if someone dies live on the operating table? Do we all become witnesses to involuntary manslaughter?

1 Like

Would there be a delay, say 30 seconds to 1 minute, just in case?