On This Day

And what a great idea that turned out to be.

2 Likes

10 would go into receivership just over a year after the relaunch and relaunch again as “ten” with the 1991-2018 logo

2 Likes

10 really had had it rough following the 1988 Olympics.

1 Like

I mean seriously, 10 TV Australia?

Blame Bob Shanks, he wasn’t a fan of the X TEN logo.

Two years ago 26 July 2020 Seven News tweaked their graphics which saw the Media Spy Seven News topic break!

3 Likes

26 July 1965: SAS10 Adelaide is officially opened as the city’s third commercial station. Although part of the Independent Television System (now the Ten Network), the station was in dispute with its eastern states partners over program supply deals and costs – seeing some network programs and movie purchases instead picked up by other Adelaide channels, in particular NWS9 – and the channel itself launching two weeks later than originally planned.

The channel switched frequency and affiliation to Seven in 1987.

Source: The Advertiser, TV Times

3 Likes

Who knew Pennywise the Clown presented children’s television in Adelaide before he made the “It” movies?

“Penetrating probe”. Is Roger doing a rectal examination or presenting the news?

3 Likes

27/7/2003 The Mole returns to Channel Seven with the new subtitle: “in Paradise”. That same evening, Australian Idol premieres on Network Ten.

3 Likes

28 July 1984: Network Ten begins its coverage of the Los Angeles Olympics. The Opening Ceremony, broadcast here on a Sunday morning, rated a 56 in Sydney and 59 in Melbourne. Daily coverage then consisted of live coverage from 12 midnight-4pm with highlights from 9.30pm to midnight (AEST) although these hours varied slightly on weekends.

In Perth, where there was no Channel Ten, Ten’s coverage was split between TVW7 and STW9. The Opening Ceremony and first week of the Games was broadcast on Seven, with the second week and Closing Ceremony on Nine.

4 Likes

Was there really no TEN in Perth even by 1984? That just seems kind of crazy to me. How were 10 programs broadcast in Perth before TEN has a presence in the city.

I believe it was 1988 when Perth finally saw the arrival of Channel 10 (NEW10).

Correct.

Network Ten shows were often split between Channels 7 and 9 on a case by case basis, though that inevitably meant some Ten shows missed out appearing in Perth, or would be delayed by a long time.

Despite the 7/9 split, in most cases it was 7 that got the Ten shows. This was possibly related to TVW7, while not affiliated to Ten, having ties to Ten through owning SAS10 in Adelaide. Also, STW9 was a Nine network member so it may have had less scope for slotting in Network Ten shows. Just speculation on my part.

2 Likes

29 July 1981: The wedding of Prince Charles and Lady Diana Spencer dominates the day on TV, with live coverage on ABC and almost every commercial station in Australia.

Despite the networks basically carrying the same BBC vision but using their own commentators, ratings for the night showed that viewers easily preferred the Nine Network’s coverage, with Melbourne’s GTV9 scoring a rating of 34 points in the prime time of 8-8.30pm, followed by ABV2 (20 per cent), HSV7 (15 per cent), ATV10 (10 per cent) and 0/28 coming last with zero per cent. An hour-and-a-half later, GTV9 was still in front on 31 per cent, followed by ABV2 (17 per cent), ATV10 (15 per cent), HSV7 (13 per cent) and 0/28 (one per cent).

In Sydney, TCN9’s prime-time coverage peaked at a score of 41 per cent, followed by ABN2 (16 per cent), TEN10 (14 per cent), ATN7 (11 per cent) and 0/28 (one per cent).

4 Likes

1 August 1964: Melbourne’s new TV station, ATV0, is officially opened. The first city in Australia to gain a third commercial station and the first station in what is now Network Ten.

YouTube: Australian Television Archive

4 Likes

Yep and the original ATV0 site might have just ended its last television production. It will be interesting to see what happens to it.

2 Likes

Studio 10 today also had a montage on how Network Ten began in 1964 and the station IDs over the years.

7 Likes

Here’s a 40th Anniversary special 10 aired in 2004 hosted by Bert & Rove (courtesy of Jason Kelly on YouTube)

3 Likes

I believe the building is heritage listed but I think that only covers the main building. All the other fixtures around it, e.g. the outdoor sets used by Neighbours, I gather will be turfed out and whatever other land remains will be sold off. A bit sad, really. Given the building’s intrinsic and physical links to iconic productions like Prisoner and Neighbours it would have been nice to see it turned into some sort of TV museum, like was also proposed (but never happened AFAIK) at 22 Bendigo Street, Richmond.

1 Like

It may be still be used for Televisions productions. Does NEP still own it?