Olympics Rights 2024-32 (Nine)

What do they mean by this?

I feel like Seven will get rights if Nine get both Tennis and Cricket. However I think Nine is still in the running for Olympic rights. I doubt Ten, ABC or SBS will get rights due to their lack of interest, and if the former did I reckon they would want worldwide rights, so they might wait for 2034 and beyond.

3 Likes

I 100% think that one of Paramount, Discovery, Amazon or whatever the next big player that emerges in the next 8 or 10 years is will buy global rights to the Olympics.

There were Covid related contract changes, a number of TV deals for 2020 were discounted

1 Like

Given it’s a 3 game summer game package with 2032 in the mix all three networks will go hard for this. 9 and 10 are the dark horses to wrangle this off the woeful 7.

5 Likes

7 is the home of the Olympics and they’ll never want to let go of the Games with Paris and LA the two most important Olympics for Australia in the lead up to 2032

4 Likes

The home of the Olympics is whoever bids highest. Doubt the IOC will favour one network over another, they just want the bid with the most money.

6 Likes

The 2032 component will push this over the edge. Otherwise I could see the other two going but not hard and Seven winning out. This will be an interesting balance as to how much is the home Olympics worth?

1 Like

Two of them arent particularly friendly for Australian audiences either - you’re really bidding for a home games predominately and having to get two others as part of the deal

3 Likes

They won’t. But they might not have enough money to do so.

The only good thing about the LA games is that they’ll have the prime time US time zone here during the day time.

7 claim to be the home but other networks have aired both summer and winter games. They don’t have some sort of divine right to them.

Their coverage has been terrible for a long time. They spend too much and then skimp on the actual coverage. Hopefully they have blown their brains out on the AFL and they can’t go as high without the backing of subscription that both Stan and P+ offer their respective parent companies.

2 Likes

Exactly. Whichever network has the 2028 LA Olympics will be able to show live action from breakfast right throughout the day before being able to package up the best of the day’s action into an NBC-type primetime program.

5 Likes

I think by 2028 it will be about the streaming (pay or free) rather than the FTA TV.

They’ll be a highlights show in prime time before live coverage commences overnight into the next morning

1 Like

Nine for the unforeseen trifecta? Tennis, cricket and Olympics :wink: and watch Seven and 10’s jaws drop! Making up for their AFL loss. Surely this is highly unlikely though and the financial risks and ramifications would see the ASX light up and shareholders getting the pitch forks ready.

3 Likes

They’ll have to offload NRL in 2027 when the rights come up for auction

They’d only do that if they were in financial crisis or ruin surely

1 Like

With IOC coming here there must be significant interest to field tenders from a variety of media companies. Let’s hope it is a corrupt free process.

3 Likes

Says who?

There’s no reason why they would.

What, be in money woes? Well signing three major and very expensive sports deals might be a start.