Olympics Rights 2024-32 (Nine)

Whilst I’ve no doubt the costs quoted are true I’ve no doubt Seven would have coughed up if they’d kept the rights and talked up the benefits on the rest of their schedule. Feels like they’re only claiming they’re too expensive because they were outbid - although it is usually good business sense to pay what you’re willing to pay rather than what your competition is willing to pay.

2 Likes

Really not sure why this would be highly unlikely.

They have the AFR which is national.

# Seven’s James Warburton on avoiding bad deals

But happy to sign up too cricket again, in which you wanted to sue CA, pay even more for AFL with less games on Saturday Night prime time, see only half the V8 Supercars races, BUT THE olympics… oh please.

They cost money, but it’s viewers for the network, seven was watched more than ever with Sydney 2000

3 Likes

Twice bitten, thrice shy.

2 Likes

Hugh Marks to negotiate based on his success* with the NRL and the RLPA recently.

1 Like

7 won the new cricket deal, they got it cheaper than in 2018 for basically the same % of games + streaming. I agree with the rest of your examples tho

4 Likes

Seven had a right of last refusal option to match Nine’s bid but they made an active decision not to exercise it.

akymbo’s AFL example doesn’t make sense either considering the tradeoff for less Saturday night games is an increase in Thursday night games. Not to mention that the increased rights fee gives Seven digital rights.

1 Like

I’m just thinking of what they did in Sydney, would Nine risk its home audience for the sake of extra eyeballs internationally?

Nine won’t have a choice - NBC pays so much money the schedule will be bent to their will. Beijing 2008 was the tipping point.

5 Likes

Guess we shall have to wait 9 years to find out :sweat_smile:

The AFL deal is worse for them based on the extra $$ they have had to put up to keep AFL on Fox.

Yes they got bargain with CA at the end of the day due to fox not wanting to let go of cricket, but even on the current summer and the ratings, it’s not profitable.

1 Like

I disagree, I don’t know what coverage you’ve been watching but Todd has been an asset to Nine & TA. He’s done a great job of helping past players transition to the media side of tennis such as helping Jelena Dokic find a job through TA and Nine (incl. being a mentor to Sam Groth, etc)

1 Like

Cool, I truly don’t see it. He makes numerous mistakes in the hosting chair. However, he will most likely be involved with the Olympics coverage obviously as the execs seem to love him. Won’t be the first, won’t be the last.

Sam Groth was pretty ordinary too before he went to politics.

They also don’t have the money and are still in debt in comparison to Nine who have deep pockets as reported

2 Likes

It’s hard to tell whether they will make a large profit on the cricket, but based on the current numbers, duration of the deal and overall inflation trends, it’s more probable that this deal will come to be regarded as a total bargain. The reduction in the BBL games will reduce production expenditure as well so I can easily foresee a scenario where 7 makes a profit overall. There is really no comparison between the cricket deal and the Olympics rights, 7 have made the right decision. It’s totally on CA that they negotiated a bad deal again.

3 Likes

The Age is widely available in Adelaide, I’ve seen it in petrol stations and convenience stores whilst there.

1 Like

Unsure of which servos you are referring to, as a citizen of Adelaide and former manager of a servo - we only stocked the Advertiser and the Australian newspapers.

Maybe regional areas stock the Melbourne newspaper.

3 Likes

I spotted them at a BP on Glen Osmond Road, and at the IGA in Hutt Street. But that was 10-15 years ago. Not sure about now. There was also a newsagency just off Rundle Mall that sold interstate and SA regional newspapers.

1 Like

Some Metro newsagents stock them

1 Like