Olympics Coverage - History

Thomas Bach haven’t seen that GC2018 Closing Ceremony which was a bad end to what was great 2 and a half weeks of sport.

2 Likes

Don’t care.

2 Likes

Cannot wait for the Beijing 2022 Games!

5 Likes

Sorry. Disagree. The closing ceremony was woeful but everything else about the GC games was brilliant. I attended two venues, three times over two days and the organisation, presentation at the venues, facilities, transport, were all flawless.

6 Likes

Really? I don’t know about the Gold Coast area, but here in Sydney (and I suspect, most other places of Australia) there was zero buzz leading up to the Commonwealth Games.

From a TV ratings perspective the GC2018 Opening/Closing Ceremonies probably should’ve been by far the year’s biggest events on Australian TV, but they were eventually beaten by football grand finals & State of Origin matches from what I recall.

3 Likes

Streaming was a factor in the ratings and therefore not added to TV broadcast ratings

IMO GC2018 was, on the whole, a great success. Especially the TV audiences which even Seven said they were surprised with. Might’ve been nothing close to the last one in 2006 but for the current environment has to be applauded.

Even better overall than Rio 2016 Olympics (yes time zone affected it) and miles ahead of ONE HD’s failed Delhi 2010

5 Likes

Yeah, but that still doesn’t explain why last year’s NRL Grand Final & State of Origin (both of which were available via 9Now streaming) got higher ratings than the GC2018 Opening Ceremony in Sydney. Similar deal in the Brisbane/SEQ market, aside from the “dead rubber” 3rd SoO match.

IMO it’s a bit too early for Australia to have another Olympics bid, taking into consideration the 44 year wait between Melbourne & Sydney + the fact we’ve hosted the Commonwealth Games twice just in the last 15 years. The AOC would be wise to allow other countries within the Asia-Pacific region to bid for the Olympics before we try and make an SEQ Olympics happen, I think.

At this stage we do not know what time the Opening Ceremony of the Tokyo Olympics will begin, but what we do know is that the AFL rounds which will be affected are rounds 18-20.

Round 18 will be the most interesting because the Opening Ceremony will be Friday July 24. Do the AFL:

1. not schedule a Friday night match so as to avoid a clash; and instead put a match on Thursday night, or
  2. go ahead with a Friday night match, but put two low-drawing clubs knowing it would very likely get hammered in the ratings, and put it on 7mate nationwide (assuming the OC gets shown on the main channel)?

All AFL matches will very likely shift to 7mate for rounds 18-20, as it was during Rio 2016. All wraparound programming (Talking Footy, AFL Game Day, Roaming Brian etc.) will also very likely take a break.

FWIW, Round 20 is the same weekend as the closing ceremony.

5 Likes

For the commentators with no VFL broadcast, 7 could use Jason Bennett and Georgie Parker to fill in some matches during the Olympics.

2 Likes

and Nigel Carmody too. He called the Hawthorn vs Carlton match recently.

Likely teams for AFL commentary during the Olympics
Friday nights will very likely be James Brayshaw and BT (or if Brayshaw is required in Tokyo then Jason Bennett)
Saturday nights Jason Bennett and Luke Darcy
Sundays Jason Bennett/Nigel Carmody and BT

Jessica Ridley on Footy Central (if Jacqui Felgate is required in Tokyo)

Hamish will very likely be required in Tokyo.

1 Like

how was ONE a failed attempt in 2010.

I Would have thought that One HD was a failure of 2010 Games because Having One HD as a sports channel is a waste of money

2 Likes

For the closing ceremony might (aug 9 2020) channel 7 will see it live in HD.
Last year’s Pyrongchang 2018 Games and GC2018 saw channel 7 put premiere of Australian Spartan & Resumed new episodes of MKR. Seven delayed closing ceremonies in Perth!
I hope that Perth sees Tokyo 2020 closing ceremony live on HD.

6 Likes

Delhi 2010 failure or problems for want of a better word had nothing to do with One HD’s coverage but in the organisation of the games.

Obviously for those who worship the Murdoch altar, they would see One HD as an annoying distraction in the quest for their monopoly.

6 Likes

Wouldn’t complain about how Seven handled the Gold Coast Commonwealth Games - frankly, it was a complete waste of time, and the shambolic closing ceremony showed that the most

1 Like

One HD didn’t rate at all as a sports channel showing US sport well outside prime time

1 Like

Besides ONE couldn’t show what Ten wasn’t airing, as it all had to be simulcast. Annoying at times.

But from what I can remember, they would re-play AFL matches on Monday or Tuesday afternoons.

1 Like

Michael slater has called diving events during The 2012 Summer Olympics on Nine. I think Slater will be used for diving or gymnastics for Tokyo 2020

5 Likes