Olympics Coverage - History

IMO I don’t care what they do, they need to pay the IBC to have a decent set overlooking Tokyo. I don’t want to see Seven falling further and further behind in sports coverage.

“Seven falling further and further behind in sports coverage” ? :face_with_monocle:

In quality. Their cricket and AFL coverage speaks volumes. Compare their cricket coverage to Nine’s tennis coverage, and you realise how far in quality Seven have fallen in quality.

Heck even 10 did a good job in Sochi and Glasgow.

1 Like

I thought that Peter Donegan was in Pyeongchang calling the speed skating as well as the Opening & Closing Ceremonies on the world feed. Mel McLaughlin was also in Pyeongchang hosting the events.
I would think that Channel Seven will have a few presenters in the Melbourne Studios e.g. Hamish McLachlan, Kylie Gillies, Jason Richardson, Rachael Finch hosting the duties.
Michael Slater was used in the London 2012 Games to call the diving events with Michael Murphy on Channel Nine. With him at channel 7, I wouldn’t be surprised if he would be used in the Tokyo 2020 games (as he is a cricket commentator.).

3 Likes

Yes eventhough they were at location on the gold coast, i would have preffered a big desk set up maybe in surfers or broadbeach like what nine did for the tennis. I find that type of broadcast more better tbh

Firstly, should’ve read “falling” not “flaking”, fixed. Sorry.

Secondly, in terms of quality, no way could I fully agree with that view, I’d still easily put Seven ahead of any other FTA network. They’ve made it clear they have a focus and passion for sport ahead of the pack. And it is seen in their securing rights and in turn their coverage.

Especially things they’ve done digitally for tennis, Olympics, Comm Games in recent years really stood out, apps have been fantastic options.

And I don’t think Nine’s tennis coverage was any better than Seven’s. The new studio was ace (pardon any pun), refreshing on air talent (some were really good) and new technology, but I was actually a big fan of Seven’s too, IMO the best event they did.

4 Likes

Here’s a wishlist that I hope Seven achieves:

1. Stop showing bloody replays of just Aussie events. Their reach and ability to have app and four multichannels at their disposal means that they can easily cover many more events instead of circulating repeats. I mean, show some other events even if Australians aren’t participating.

2. Get a good set, since they’ve been saving up so much money, they should be getting a good set in Tokyo and put themselves in line with global broadcasters.

3. Get some capable hosts. Bruce McAvaney will be ideal and the likes of Kylie Gillies, Mark Beretta, Jim Wilson, Joh Griggs, Basil Zempilas and Simon Reeve should also be hosting instead of that useless Hamish McLachlan and Mel Mclaughlin. Get some good Australian commentators and boundary reporters too.

4. If they’re going to promote, they need to launch some good new shows out of the games rather than crap like Zumbo. A few decent shows coming out of the Olympics would help Seven in the 2nd half.

10 Likes

Tokyo 2020 teaser during AFL post game

8 Likes
2 Likes

Another

5 Likes

500 days until 2020 Paralympic Games

3 Likes

Geez that’s ugly.

1 Like

You watched School of Rock after the news?

1 Like

What School of Rock?

Look at the photo…

oh right. Didn’t see that. I thought the user meant “After the News”.

International Olympic Committee members were in Brisbane today encouraging a bid for the 2032 games.

https://twitter.com/9NewsQueensland/status/1125312697401106439

IOC President Thomas Bach encourages Brisbane 2032 Olympic Games bid

In Australia for the SportAccord Gold Coast event, which opens today, International Olympic Committee (IOC) President Thomas Bach has stated words of encouragement for Brisbane and south east Queensland’s possible bid to host the 2032 Summer Olympics.

Speaking as he arrived in Australia over the weekend, Bach said Brisbane’s feasibility study perfectly reflected the requirements of the IOC, particularly regarding the use of existing facilities.

He told a press conference in Sydney that if the region improved its transport network, “(it) would lead to, I think, a pretty strong candidature”, stating “the first stage is for the Australians and for the Queenslanders, to say ‘yes we want to be a host to the entire world’.”

Bach will be in Brisbane today (6th May) where he will meet the Lord Mayor and visit many of the city’s current sporting facilities.

Bach who became IOC Ppresident in 2013 is mindful that finding cities willing to incur the expense of holding an Olympic Games is becoming increasingly challenging.

The selections of Paris and Los Angeles for the 2024 and 2028 Games came after numerous cities, including Budapest, Rome, Calgary, Boston and Hamburg, expressed interest then dropped out, several after being officially accepted as candidates.

The problem is continuing in finding a host for the 2026 Winter Games, with the IOC to choose between Milan/Cortina and Stockholm/Are on 24th June after local opposition forced Sion in Switzerland and Graz/Schladming (Austria) to withdraw.

Agence France Press quoted an unnamed Games consultant as saying, "the current batch of high profile cities/nations expressing interest for 2032 has been quietly and efficiently orchestrated by the IOC to help counter the received wisdom that the bid process is in trouble.

“It is still very early in the 2032 bid process as technically the decision does not need to be made until 2025 so normally you would not start the bid process until 2023. However, the process is changing with greater concerns on making it easier and cheaper and more transparent for cities to express interest in bidding and stay in the race.”

Bach, who is expected in Gold Coast on Tuesday, was in Sydney at the invitation of John Coates, President of the Australian Olympic Committee.

Speaking in the 2000 Olympic host city Bach said that he does not want “too many losers” among the candidates, suggesting that some cities might be discouraged from continuing their bids.

Brisbane is using this week’s SportAccord Gold Coast event to further promote its possible bid for the 2032 Summer Olympics.

With the next two Olympics in Europe and North America, the 2032 Games should logically take place in the Asia-Pacific region.

Because Paris, in 2024 and Los Angeles, in 2028, were selected unopposed in 2017, it has been suggested that the IOC also needs a healthy number of bidders to restore faith in the process.

The IOC will not select a host until 2025, but already several cities have bids in various stages of public development.

The Indonesian capital of Jakarta, which hosted the last Asian Games, has officially applied while the Indian city of Mumbai has also expressed interest.

In February, the IOC encouraged a joint bid from the two Koreas, to continue the rapprochement Olympic officials believe was initiated at the Winter Games in Pyeongchang in 2018 where the two Koreas marched under a common flag.

The five day SportAccord convention, which brings together the international sports federations under the patronage of the IOC is being held until Friday 10th May.

With Agence France Press

3 Likes

Your thoughts on bid for Brisbane 2032 Olympics?

• Yeah, that would be good.
  • Nah. Rather have other cities instead

0 voters

1 Like

I’d love a 2nd Olympics hosted in Australia in my lifetime. Was lucky to be alive to witness Sydney 2000 as a 6 year old kid.

3 Likes

Personally, I think last year’s Commonwealth Games (particularly the infamous Closing Ceremony) set the SEQ Olympics movement back about 30 years.

2 Likes