Olympics Coverage - History

Some more images from this morning

6 Likes

Seven partners with Samsung to deliver 100 hours of live and on demand virtual reality and 360 video from the Olympic Games

The Seven Network and Samsung Electronics Australia today announced a new way for consumers to experience the excitement of the Olympic Games.

For the first time ever, Virtual Reality (VR) and 360-degree video will be available to selected Samsung Galaxy smartphones compatible with Samsung Gear VR via the ‘7Rio VR 2016’ app. Selected daily highlights on demand will also be available via Redirecting....

The ‘7Rio VR 2016’ app will offer up to 100 hours of VR and 360° programming and include the Opening and Closing Ceremonies, men’s basketball, gymnastics, track and field, beach volleyball, diving, boxing and fencing as well as highlight packages of those sports.

Key features of the official VR Olympics app, 7Rio VR 2016 include:

• Experience Virtual Reality and 360° video of up to 100 hours of live events from the Rio 2016 Olympic Games on selected compatible devices
• Relive daily highlights of amazing moments in VR and 360° video
• Choose between multiple camera angles on live streams of selected sports
• Share highlights on your social media channels
• Watch 360° video without the need for goggles

For more information on Samsung’s Olympic VR offering visit:
7rio2016.com.au/articles/seven-and-samsung-partner- rio-virtual-reality or go in store to
experience the VR first hand.

1 Like

Copyright notice and opener seen at 1:50 am this morning (note that the audio is copyright so is monetised on You Tube).

2 Likes

The Opening Ceremony would actually start at 9am (AEST) correct? I’m getting mixed messages on Sunrise making out like it starts at 6am but I assume that’s just the coverage.

The app/online is a waste of time. Looks all SD.

ios app

2 Likes

Correct.

Thanks I assumed it started at 6am as well. Alarm goes off. Not that I would have gotten up anyway.

I’ve had slightly better quality streams through the website but they’re not as good as the streams provided through 9Now.

It might be something out of Seven’s control though since it seems they’re using an app which is designed by OBS (the host broadcaster) for rights-holders to use if they wish. For example, Sky NZ has a virtually identical app available for their customers.

1 Like

“Olympics Studio”:

4 Likes

Why not call it “Rio Central”

Foxtel EPG is still showing 7mateHD for Perth on Saturday morning at 7am. Someone flick the switch please

all online rights holders are using the same app (localised for each market)

1 Like

Since the official start of the Rio 2016 Olympic Games are just only 3 days away (time flies fast!), here’s something I found around March, but have held off showing you guys since I’ve been extremely busy with assessments during my last year at School. Here’s a possible sneak peak of the On-Air Presentation that may be seen during the duration of the Games. The Motion Graphics work was done by Chris Penn Designs, who was also credited for doing Seven’s current Sports packaging from 2012, and the current Seven Productions title-card, as well as other work for Plus7 and The Morning Show.

You can find Chris Penn’s other work at: http://www.chrispenn.com.au/

And “Seven HQ” which is now the “Olympics Studio”:

It’s interesting because it seems they may be doing a completely route with the presentation from what we’ve seen.

8 Likes

The logo treatment looks cool but I think they’ve ended up going in a different direction.

The graphics overnight looked nothing like that white theme and the glimpses so far of the studio look very different to the 7 HQ space.

Would like to see that white theme used for the winter games though!!

2 Likes

if Seven continues its past habit of showing a few minutes of one event then crossing over to another event for a few minutes, then five minutes of ads, three minutes of another event etc., as well as replaying the swimming events several times, and showing ONLY events where an Australian athlete or Australian team is playing then the premium Olympic package is justified. That was why at the last Olympics in London I watched all the action on the BBC website via a VPN!

1 Like

The premium version of the app is free for Telstra customers

Any idea how to activate this if you’re a Telstra customer?

I did it my downloading the app to my phone. It asks you to sign up and then it gives you the option to verify with Telstra instead of paying (you don’t really have to do anything here - it just loads a page and automatically verifies everything it needs to - this needs to be done over 3G/4G, not WiFi, but you can go back to WiFi once it’s verified), then you’re good to go.

You’ll have created a username and password in this process that you can then use to connect on other devices.

1 Like

Ah I downloaded and subscribed on wifi. Bummer!

Is it possible that the Olympics studio in Sydney uses the same space as Kitchen HQ in My Kitchen Rules?

3 Likes