Olympics Coverage - History

The delay in Hawaii for the Opening Ceremony is 6 hours, it appears. Coverage starts at 5:30pm local time.

I’m sure Seven will have either Basil, Bruce or Joh in the IBC do to any interviews or present stuff in the olympic studio there.

1 Like

Basil and Bruce will be calling. No time for interviews. Joh might do it. But have they even built a set over there or are they just using the IBC for the technical stuff and offices etc.

Has there been much promotion of the women’s soccer match between Australia and Canada tomorrow, which actually opens Seven’s live coverage? I have only seen mentions on the Twitter accounts of the Matildas and 7Olympics.

I just got a notification on my phone

From 11.50 tonight perth time until 11am tomorrow on 7mate the olympics begin with football preliminary’s

Always watched some of the football as it’s the first time you see the network graphics, the opener, studio and IOC graphics.

1 Like

I always wonder if Australia is the only country which shows IOC copyright warnings at the start and finish of each day’s TV coverage? When I was in Hong Kong in 2004 I saw Athens Olympics on local stations TVB and ATV and there were no copyright messages during the telecast.

Im not sure if there were any copywrite images when I was in London for the London Olympics. I didnt watch to be honest so couldnt say 100%.

My memory is a bit hazy here, but I don’t seem to recall any of these copyright notices being used before the Openers of Olympic Coverage prior to Beijing 2008.

I think it’s quite possible that the copyright notices are something Australian networks get told to do by the AOC, rather than the IOC. That would certainly explain why Seven, Nine and Ten have all run such disclaimers before the Openers of Olympic coverage in recent years while international broadcasters might not have!

There is an IOC copyright notice at the end of this.

1 Like

Yeah but it’s a bit different to the very wordy pre-Opener “This broadcast is produced in association with the International Olympic Committee and may not be reproduced or retransmitted in any form without the express written consent of the Network” (or something similar among those lines) spiel that all three Australian commercial networks have used before Olympics coverage since at least 2008, isn’t it?

2 Likes

If I remember correctly, the wordy copyright notice has been used in Australia since Seven showed the Barcelona Games in 1992. It actually goes something like this:
"This broadcast of the (host city and year) Olympic Games is produced in association with the International Olympic Committee and the (host city) organising committee of the Olympic Games and may not be reproduced or retransmitted in any form without the express written consent of the International Olympic Committee."
For London 2012, the copyright notice on Nine’s telecast was:
“This broadcast of the London 2012 Olympic Games is produced by the Nine Network in association with the International Olympic Committee and may not be reproduced or retransmitted in any form without the express written consent of the Nine Network.”

4 Likes

About as useful of CTC 7 Canberra that started their broadcast day by reminding viewers that it was an offence to record programs using a VCR :grinning:

5 Likes

Ann Sanders does the Copyright VO.

1 Like

IOC graphics are mostly unchanged from London. It’s more green now than blue.

3 Likes

Prime 7mate has the Live & Free 7 logo rather than the 7mate logo on that’s on 7, as above.

Prime 7mate doesn’t look as clear as 7HD, but is better the Seven’s 7mate.

Not a fan of the graphics at all.

Four years since the last Games and all they can come up with is the same template but with a hideous green colour and Helvetica? GTFO.

The IOC’s broadcast division appears to have the same lackadaisical approach to its graphics that the main organisation does to Russian doping.

They were dreadful four years ago and are worse now. Little evolution in them in the last few Games.

5 Likes

So the Sydney Fetch EPG is showing 70 as 7mate for the next week. Yahoo7 guide is the same and YourTV

Is the OTA 70 epg showing HD moving to the main 7 channel or sticking with 7mate?