Olympics Coverage - History

Basil called Short Track in SLC 2002 with Bradbury’s gold as well as some basketball

2 Likes

At the winter Olympics? :wink:

1 Like

He is referring to Winter Olympics in 2002 and the Summer Games - Athens games in 2004 and Beijing games in 2008

You reckon?

I’m right.

Basil has called basketball in 2008.

He’s still going! As discovered last summer of tennis on Nine

Does Garry Wilkinson still host the horse racing on Sky Channel?

Rowing

Correct. The AFL did the right thing by allowing Seven to broadcast the Carlton v North Melbourne match live into Victoria, South Australia and Tasmania, rather than on regular delay, and having Foxtel provide a live broadcast of the same match from Telstra Dome on its Main Event Channel (Channel 518) for subscribers in the ACT, NSW and Qld. If Seven had 7mate then, maybe have the Carlton v North Melbourne match live on 7mate in all markets(and on Fox Sports.)

4 Likes

More of Seven’s Beijing 2008 set, this time with a daytime shot. Has anyone got caps from 7’s sets from Sydney 2000, Athens 2004 and 9’s London 2012 set?!?

7 Likes

and as I remember the picture quality of those live streams on TenPlay were shocking! Worse than an amateur youtube video!

Am I correct in saying all Olympic sets up until Rio were built in the host city, or is that a figment of my imagination? I remember Nine’s 2012 one definitely was in London as they had Harry and Will on set at one point.

2 Likes

Nine’s coverage of the London 2012 Opening Ceremony was criticised - Eddie McGuire’s commentary, ad break during the torch relay montage as well as skipping countries during the parade of nations including Japan to show Aussies.

7 was also criticised for skipping China in Rio 2016.

Considering a significant number of commercial broadcasters air the opening ceremony you would think organisers would put more points within the running order which offer an obvious opt out point for ads. I know back in 1996 when Atlanta hosted, so actually broadcast live in the US, possibly the last Summer Olympic ceremony that was (I don’t think even Rio was despite the minimal time different), they cut frequently to the Torch relay through the city during the event, which presumably was the opt out point for ads.

The parade of nations is the obvious point to throw them in considering it can be up to half of the event, and to be honest rather they’d put the ads in when China and the likes were entering than the nations you’ve never heard of as generally that is where the commentary can be most interesting.

3 Likes

Fascinating video on how SOBO (Sydney Olympic Broadcasting Organisation) put together the 2000 games TV and radio broadcast.

3 Likes

No doubt that @FormerInsider knows more, but I was under the impression that C7 Sports coverage of the 2000 Olympics only came to Foxtel in a last minute deal.

Hopefully one day, someone will write the book detailing all the dramas of Australian sports broadcasting rights deals during the first decade or so of Pay TV because all these stories make for very interesting reading!

1 Like

Would be fascinating reading about Pay TV and sports rights in Australia

1 Like

Until then you have this at least:

4 Likes

Bruce also commentated the swimming at the Beijing 2008 games together with athletics events.

1 Like

Bruce also called the swimming in London 2012 alongside Nicole Livingstone for the world feed, when Nine had the Australian rights to the Games.

2 Likes