Tokyo Olympics Coverage

3 Likes

She will also be part of the Tokyo Olympics coverage for Seven.

Interesting that SWM’s former Chief Digital Officer, Clive Dickens who moved to Optus earlier this year has probably been involved in this arrangement.

2 Likes

Mediaweek notes that for people in areas where 5G Optus broadband is available, a package with the internet connection, an Optus Sport subscription and a Fetch Mighty set-top box will cost $100 monthly, to see Seven’s Olympics coverage in 4K.

So many hoops to jump just to see the Olympics in 4k. I don’t see many people going for it, especially after Optus’ World Cup debacle.

But after C7 Sport I don’t think Seven would want to do it with Foxtel.

4 Likes

C7 Sport and the Sydney 2000 Olympics. What happened to the C7 case for the Olympics in 2000?

Just think how many 4K channels Foxtel would have for the Olympics if they had it 5!!

1 Like

That’s just ridiculous; what idiots agreed to limit UHD/4k to people who:

1. Live in an Optus 5G area
  2. Subscribe to Optus 5G home + Optus Sport
  3. Subscribe to Fetch Mighty

Why are the rest of the population, including those who already have sufficient Internet connectivity for UHD streaming, and those who are already signed up (contracted) to another Internet provider, denied the ability to UHD?

Seven continue to screw Olympics viewers over; 2000 in 4x3, then they stuck with SD for too long, and now this.

2 Likes

The 5g network coverage will be larger by the start of the Olympics then it is today

5 Likes

The World Anti-doping Agency has banned Russia from all major sports for 4 years including the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.

But athletes who can prove they are untainted by the doping scandal will be able to compete under a neutral flag.

Rusada has 21 days to appeal against the ban. If it does so, the appeal will be referred to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (Cas).

1 Like

True but then again will it still be able to deliver 5G with more people logging in to view 4K it has to fail!!

1 Like

Irrelevant; I don’t want to use 5G for fixed home Internet instead of FttP.

This should be available as a short-term subscription, over any Internet connection (with enough bandwidth).

1 Like

A faint hope from Clive Dickens at Optus that the 4K Olympics coverage might be available to Optus NBN Fetch Mighty subscribers.

Full story:

3 Likes

So that’s a no then

Wow that headline seems somewhat ridiculous.
I regularly view streamed UHD/4k content on 100 Mb/s FttP NBN.

Of course sport (compared to other content) would benefit more from a higher framerate than resolution, but I’m not anywhere near maxing-out my connection.

Fixed 5G may be good for those stuck without a good wired connection, but there’s no legitimate reason to not allow access to UHD content for FttP NBN connections.

2 Likes

Well HFC is meant to be getting 1000/50 in May next year.

How much of that content is live though?

The advantage of using 5G is that Optus can control the stream end-to-end on their own network - opening it up to other ISPs starts to add factors that Optus have no visibility over. While this is a sales ploy for a new network, its a good way to show that 5G is potentially an alternative for many people to a fixed service.

1 Like

HFC customers getting a speed upgrade but not the 4K Olympics experience. I can steam 4K using a 50/20 connection

Could this be the watermark for Optus Sport’s 7 UHD Olympics coverage (but HD says UHD), or would it be the same as the normal Optus Sport logo or would they just have Live and Free | 7 UHD ?

1 Like

Saw a new promo during Christmas, featuring cyclist Matthew Glaetzer.

1 Like