Olympics Coverage - History

Seven Sport produced it for them too. Very unique and rare situation that.

No need now with multi-channels and BVOD app.

8 Likes

SBS used their own presenters but it was all done by Seven Sport

2 Likes

SBS also televised basketball, Football and Handball, baseballIF I’m not mistaken.
Seven televised marquee events e.g. swimming, Athletics, gymnastics.

3 Likes

I dont think Seven wants a repeat of 2008, because a lot of people were angry at the networks contractual obligation to show AFL. That’s where 7mate comes in for that.

3 Likes

I remembered when 7 showed AFL over Olympics in 2008 with the network copping criticism

2 Likes

From memory, Sunday AFL matches not involving the Swans/Lions were not shown on Seven in their respective cities. It just happened that the matches involving their teams were played on Saturdays, the day which Network Ten had the rights to.

3 Likes

Olympic coverage has been slammed for a while now. We had the terrific experience in 2012 with FOXTEL providing every event live and uninterrupted.

7’s current commitment for Tokyo is a step in the right direction.

4 Likes

We had to pay $19.95 just to watch the streams for the last 2 games in HD. This is the right direction for 7 offering the extra channels free if you have an account.

For Sochi 2014, Ten had the rights using both Ten and One (now 10 Bold) as well as 6 streams online on TenPlay. It was a huge step from 9’s coverage 18 months earlier.

1 Like

I personally think that Olympics coverage is one of those things (right up there with the Logies, Carols in the Domain and NYE coverage) that will always be slammed by viewers, no matter which network airs it.

Right now, I’d be willing to predict that the main criticisms of Seven’s Tokyo 2020 coverage will likely be the availability of only one HD channel on terrestrial TV (unless another launches between now and 24/7/2020, which is possible but somehow I won’t be holding my breath) and the continuation of Sunrise during the Olympics if there are any events scheduled during the morning.

5 Likes

That was exactly the case for Rio 2016 when Sunrise was shown on the HD channel while the Olympics were relegated to SD for 3.5 hours

1 Like

Channel 7 was slammed in 2016 with China flag instead of Chile on the screen.
Channel 9 was slammed in 2012 for replays of swimming, lack of other sports on TV like handball. Nine’s Coverage has copped criticism on Facebook, twitter. The nine network treated the games with small amount of respect.
Ten > Nine

3 Likes

Which Summer Olympics telecast was more exciting?

• 2012 Summer Olympics in London (Nine Network, Foxtel)
  • 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio (Seven Network)
  • Both!

0 voters

1 Like

I enjoyed 7’s Rio 2016 coverage providing a highlights show during the day called “In Rio Today” hosted by Kylie Gillies to catch up on the action.

7, 7Two and 7mate all showed coverage

4 Likes

Bit of a small window you’ve given them there

Corrected!

I still stand by my overall point though.

1 Like

There was a prime time show with Hamish titled something similar, highlighting the best from the day and overnight.

Rio’s time zone wasn’t very friendly.

Also, I reckon Todd Woodbridge going to Nine is a big loss for Seven’s coverage, he impressed and excelled at Rio 2016 and Gold Coast 2018, let alone all the tennis.

2 Likes

After backlash from fans, the AFL allowed 7 to air the Olympics continuously in NSW and QLD. VIC/SA/WA received AFL on Sunday afternoons. For instance, WA aired West Coast vs Hawthorn at 2.30pm on August 24, the last day of the Games.

It wasn’t the case in Rio thanks to the advent of digital mutichannels with 7mate airing AFL in all markets.

5 Likes

Called the canoeing and I believe the rowing events for a couple of games.

Sandy indeed was a second week host for Sydney in primetime when Bruce (who hosted the first week) was busy with track and field. Sandy in week 1 called the Gymnastics. The other host in 1996 that I recall was Garry Wilkinson.

4 Likes

Bruce commentated both swimming and athletics track for Athens and Beijing

3 Likes

I thought that Basil Zempilas has been part of the 2004 Athens Games and the 2008 Beijing Games. Which sporting events did Basil call? (IIRC)