Olivia Newton-John: Hopelessly Devoted to You

On Sunday 20 May The Voice will run until 9pm.

3 Likes

I’m not a Delta fan, not by a long shot, but if the adverts are anything to go by then I have a feeling I’ll be changing my opinion tonight.

3 Likes

Agree, it does look like the role she was born to play.

4 Likes

Delta in a wig. Let’s see if she can change my mind.

Her casting was definitely based off merchandise they could sell too or they would have just got Kate Jenkinson to play her.

2 Likes

And tonight they seem to have extended The Voice to 8.42pm according to the EPG.

I’m 100% here for Delta, but 40 mins in and I’m thinking they should have stuck with ‘young Olivia’ actor the whole way. She even talks like Livvy.

5 Likes

Morgan Griffin as young Olivia was brilliant. She has an amazing voice too. She couldn’t keep playing Olivia until she was much older though. Delta plays Olivia into her 60s.

I quite enjoyed the series. It’s well produced.

The changeover was a bit jarring though because one minute Morgan is talking about recording a song and next minute Delta is singing that song on stage. Maybe Delta should have done the pre-recording scene too.

I liked the way they worked the songs into it.

5 Likes

This original clip of Pat & Olivia is fantastic.

4 Likes

There were mixed comments on Twitter from those who are not Delta fans. Some liked the episode, some complained of the dialogue, cheap CGI effects (e.g. transforming Brighton beach into French Riviera) and casting of Delta.
Personally I quite like tonight’s part 1. I think the scriptwriting could be better, not sure if it was due to the fact that filming was rushed through in a month so Delta could get some rest before going to The Voice blind auditions last year.
P.S. saw this on the credits tonight

4 Likes

It was okay I suppose. I didn’t hate but I didn’t love it. Very mediocre and middle of the road. It was definitely one of the weakest telemovies produced in the last few years.

The worst part of the feature was the obviously meagre budget and uninspired directing.

The directing was just woeful. There was no grand scale and everything just felt very flat. The directing choices were basic and the locations chosen did nothing to enhance the story. I honestly expected far better.

I lost count of how many places Australia doubled as. The Australian beach doubling as the French Riveria complete with very fake cgi ships was probably the low point.

The movie was also very disjointed. It didn’t really come alive until Olivia was in America. However well acted the first part of the movie was, it was just so boring. There was hardly any drama and even Olivia’s obstacles felt like an afterthought or were severely downplayed. The script, characters and yes even the directing seemed to have more energy and spirit when it moved to America.

The highlight was probably the acting. For the most part the acting was very good apart from the occassional’ Oh me accents slipping’. The actress playing young Olivia was very good. Both Pegs were great. Delta looked great and was good for the most part but she can’t seem to manage serious drama very well. The ending of her finding the hate mail was severly underplayed. More tension could have easily been extracted, another sign of the poor direction.

Hair, makeup and costumes were very good.

Unusually I think part two will be much better, what with all of Olivia’s larger than life dramas and her career going to some low depths.

3 Likes

Sneaky promo didn’t help but.

2 Likes
1 Like

The usual news.com.au negative story created out of picking out the worst negative tweets from online trolls.

3 Likes
1 Like

News Corp music writer Cameron Adams wrote an opinion piece online earlier this week defending Delta’s role in the show. It is reprinted on page 25 of today’s Herald Sun.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/rendezview/delta-haters-were-just-waiting-for-chance-to-whine/news-story/4d9d004231fefc4dcaaa457e808d226c

3 Likes

And they have a lot to choose from. Jbar you can’t label everyone that disagrees with your tastes or posts something negative a troll. I’ve seen enough poor reviews of ONJ in a myriad of places that just simply hated the show with valid reasons. It also doesn’t help Delta is a very divisive woman.

I’m not doing that and I don’t disagree with some things they’ve said.

What I’m talking about is the way media outlets such as NewsCorp grab a handful of ugly tweets and use them for the basis of their news article. They haven’t looked at every tweet out there and look at what percentage was positive and what percentage is negative.

This happens over and over again. You are always going to get trolls being negative about anything on Twitter and forums like this one. It’s easy to grab five negative tweets or comments about anything and use it as a basis of a story to make it look like that’s the general reaction. That’s a beat up.

I actually think its smart journalism, they see what way the wind is blowing and create and article that will generate the most clicks. Maybe you just got sucked in on click bait JBar.

Seriously, you suggest them looking at every tweet. C’mon. They chose a narrative and used the tweets that fit their narrative, all journalism and articles do that.

I don’t consider it a beat up in this instance as nearly every place has ridiculed or scorned the miniseries and there is more than enough validation for it to warrant a hostile or negative response.

You’re still wrong about your definition of trolls too. Trolls set out to deliberately cause discord or chaos and that’s their sole intention. Just being negative or saying something negative isn’t trolling( especially if they elaborate on their viewpoint), it just means you’re sensitive.

1 Like

Just as long as they get their clicks, then that’s okay. :roll_eyes: Let’s create a society where negativity is celebrated. :disappointed:

If the bridge fits, get under it. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I never said it was okay or justified, but don’t be so naive. It’s the way of the world and if you don’t subscribe to that philosophy or want to put money in their pockets, don’t click or read their garbage. It’s that simple.

Honestly Jbar I think you need to hear the word realist. Being a realist isn’t being a negativity monger.

Also why do you need positivity to reinforce your views or beliefs anyway? Don’t get so caught up on what others think or post and just be happy for yourself and what you believe in. Posting isn’t a popularity contest.

That’s the thing, the bridge doesn’t fit, you’re just trying to twist it to your will; unsuccessfully.

2 Likes