Olivia Newton-John: Hopelessly Devoted to You

The promo was posted on Seven’s Facebook page and the Morning Show website this morning: https://au.news.yahoo.com/the-morning-show/video/watch/39578402/first-look-at-delta-goodrem-starring-as-olivia-newton-john/

2 Likes

You know what I mean… Margot worked cause it was a sort of mockumentary

How is that any different from any other actor or actress playing the role of a real life celebrity? Did people say they couldn’t see Samuel Johnson as Molly because he was that guy from Secret Life of Us?

If they got an unknown, inexperienced actor then people would be bagging them for not be up for the job. If famous actors didn’t take on these types of roles, we would miss out on a lot of brilliant performances.

1 Like

Still just see Delta in a wig. Sorry.

1 Like

Maybe if you actually watch it, the performance might change your mind as it did with Margot Robbie.

Many people complained about the actor chosen to play Peter Allen in that mini-series beforehand, because he didn’t look close enough to the real star but they were blown away by Joel Jackson’s performance in that.

1 Like

I feel like Delta is too big of a star, like with Josh Lawson he was well known and had a shocking wig but he had the voice and mannerisms. Lets hope Delta can pull that off.

Seven will need to be careful on scheduling this show. Olivia could be shown on the first two weeks after the Commonwealth Games (note the AFL match on Tuesday night, April 24), however it will mean the mini-series will be on the same nights as The Voice blind auditions which also features Delta, which could lead to saturation and possible viewer backlash. A solution could be to show Olivia in May when The Voice is down to 2 episodes per week (as it enters the knockouts and battles stage), and on the nights when the singing show is not broadcast.

Are you sure The Voice is airing after the Commonwealth Games?

It would be a big mistake if Olivia clashed with The Voice.

ONJ cast announced

Delta Goodrem leads an outstanding cast as they tell Olivia’s remarkable story.

OLIVIA SNEAK PEEK

Channel Seven and FremantleMedia Australia, in association with Screen Australia and Film Victoria, today announced the talented ensemble cast who will star in the two-part biopic of Australian singing luminary Olivia Newton-John.

OLIVIA NEWTON-JOHN HOPELESSLY DEVOTED TO YOU, coming soon to Seven stars Delta Goodrem as Olivia Newton-John and Morgan Griffin as young Olivia from her teenage years to early twenties.

Georgia Flood, Kate Jenkinson, Robyn Malcolm, Todd Lasance, Gyton Grantley and George Xanthis round out the cast playing the pivotal roles in Olivia’s personal life and career.

For more than five decades, Olivia has been the one that we want. This moving and inspiring biopic is a tribute to Olivia’s life, her loves, her family, her fight and her iconic songs, films and fashion. The story takes you on a rich, colourful ride from the early 60s in Australia, the UK and America to modern day, charting her trailblazing persona in one of the world’s toughest industries.

Reflecting on the honour of playing Olivia Newton-John, Delta Goodrem explains:

“Olivia influenced my earliest years as an evolving artist and became the backbone of influence to living my life and heart as a proud Australian artist. I aspired to have her grace, humility and talent from the time I started singing.

“I grew up with Olivia’s energy and beautiful voice in my world through her music, and then from an early age I was truly blessed to find friendship and mentorship from Olivia. She is an icon. I am deeply humbled to play my idol and friend, and I am truly excited to share with people a part of Olivia’s life story.”

Commenting on the biopic, Channel Seven’s Director of Programming, Angus Ross, said: “We feel very privileged to be able to tell Olivia’s story with a stellar cast of Australian faces that truly do pay homage to the style, poise and flair of this incredibly vibrant era.”

FremantleMedia Australia’s Head of Drama, Jo Porter, added: “To have an actor that understands the music industry inside and out brings a unique perspective to the realization of this remarkable story.”
Bringing the story of an international inspiration and Australia’s original sweetheart to life is award-winning director Shawn Seet, esteemed producer Margot McDonald, and writers Elizabeth Coleman, Pip Karmel and Keith Thompson.

OLIVIA NEWTON-JOHN HOPELESSLY DEVOTED TO YOU was filmed in Victoria and received major production investment from Screen Australia, in association with Film Victoria.

Cast:

Delta Goodrem Olivia Newton-John (from age 22)
Morgan Griffin Olivia Newton-John (age 16-22)
Kate Jenkinson Pat Carroll (from age 22)
Georgia Flood Pat Carroll (from age 16-22)
Robyn Malcolm Irene Newton-John
Richard Blight Brinley Newton-John
Todd Lasance Lee Kramer
Richard Brancatisano Matt Lattanzi
George Xanthis John Travolta
Paul David-Goddard John Farrar (from age 22)
Ben Shumann John Farrar (age 18)
Diana Glenn Nancy Chuda
David James Peter Allen
Lucy Honigman Helen Reddy
Gyton Grantley Roger Davies
Hugo Johnstone-Burt Bruce Welch
Anthony Brandon Wong Patrick McDermott
Will Ewing Ian Turpie
Jeremy Lindsay-Taylor John Easterling
Grant Cartwright Peter Allen
Alison Bell Betsy Cox
Lily Jones Chloe Lattanzi (from 4-9)
Alicia Banit Chloe Lattanzi (from age 19-20)
Sam Duncan Johnny O’Keefe

2 Likes

Impressive cast. Lots of well known names there.

Over the past week I ran a poll on my Twitter account with this question: “Should Ch7’s Olivia Newton-John mini series be shown on the same nights as The Voice, given they both feature Delta?” Of the 19 people who responded, 79% said no, 16% said yes and 5% said they were not sure.

Doesn’t everyone IQ or Fetch record or PVR or DVR these days anyway? What does it matter?

I think Olivia fever is building. I heard Physical playing in my local Woolies a few days ago, then again yesterday as part of the warm up at the Comm Games athletics.
Retro Olivia t shirts keep popping up in my social media feeds.

2 Likes

I think it’ll be the best telemovie/mini series since Molly, way back now in February 2016.

This has been in the can for (it feels like) ages, Delta was a pretty good choice and promos look really good, at least high quality looking production.

5 Likes

I agree. Im looking forward to it.

2 Likes

It’s going to be shown on a Sunday night, that’s for sure. Every other Seven miniseries in the past several years has screened then so I doubt they’re going to break the tradition now. I wouldn’t be surprised if it premieres on Sunday 6 May after the MKR grand finale if that’s when Seven plan to air it.

1 Like

Why not Sunday, April 22?

Sunday Night is scheduled after MKR then.

But it will be on the same night as The Voice (either blind auditions or knockouts).

1 Like