Rugby League

For the second night in a row, a team was held scoreless at home. This time it was Parramatta which lost 0-26 to South Sydney at CommBank Stadium.

2 Likes

Well, todays 3 games all went to script with the favourites all winning, with the Roosters, Sharks and Broncos all getting the chocolates.

The Cowboys loss today now has them in danger of missing out on a Top 2 finish, with the Sharkies now drawing level on points and having a much easier run home.

The NRLW match between the Roosters and Dragons will kick off at 5.40pm on Friday, September 2, with the Roosters v Rabbitohs NRL fixture scheduled to kick off at 7.55pm.

3 Likes

Which one is it?

3 Likes

The view from both sides of the border

1 Like

I seriously hope it stays in NSW. I honestly don’t think it will be a good look for the NRL if it is allowed to go to Qld again.

2 Likes

My head is a spin with this issue. We have Parra Stadium / Olympic Park / SFS. Its nice to upgrade the rest but is that Government and tax payer to pay? Or maybe as a league fan (and parra fan with a new stadium), I am being narrowminded.

Should we go to AFL model and just use 3 stadiums to play games. Penrith might be exception? Penrith to Parra is a bit of a hike. Manly might be another issue as they don’t like to travel to the City to play at SFS.

And therein lies the issue. They’ve had their own/local stadiums for so long that fans don’t want to travel for home games. AFL fans (excluding Waverley and Kardinia) have had to travel into the city forever.

1 Like

Agree @foxyrover .

I don’t know the detail over history who traditionally paid for upgrades of grounds is it NSW Govt, Council, clubs or combination of all of above? Peter will be focused on getting the best deal at all costs?

1 Like

The NRL wants the NSW Government to pay for it. The NSW Government have said in the past that they’d appreciate some co-investment from the tenants.

One of the things that have pissed the NSW government off about this is that the ARLC have just spent a considerable amount of money purchasing the Caxton Street hotel in Brisbane, despite saying they had little if any money to contribute

2 Likes

Peter V’Landys has announced Sydney will host this years NRL Grand Final.

Both Seven and Nine broke into regular programming with live coverage of the announcement.

You have to like PVLs sense of humour, he first said the host would be Melbourne because “they needed a major sporting event. Greetings Gil if you are watching”.

Seriously, I think sanity has prevailed, it would have been an injustice if the game hadn’t been in Sydney this year.

2 Likes

I though his joke about Melbourne went down like a lead balloon. He also foreshadowed the possibility of a Super Bowl-like scenario in future for grand finals where the final could be anywhere. It seems like a possibility of more GFs in Brisbane since this arrangement is just for one year “remember we do have four teams in Queensland”.

Quite a lot of acrimony from Peter V’landys.

“The Premier is a very good bloke … but don’t have a bet with him, because if you win he won’t pay ya”

4 Likes

As if the Victorian Government will bid to host a NRL Grand Final in the future.

I think they would definitely, just as long as it’s not the same weekend as the AFL Grand Final, which happens occasionally, usually when 30 Sept is a Saturday.

3 Likes

Yeah, it has huge tourism possibilities for Victoria if they can secure something for the following weekend after the AFL Final.

A lot of V’Landys is just shit talk, however.

5 Likes

His beef with Victoria (and Melbourne) appears to live rent free in Mr Rugba Leeg’s brain

3 Likes

Great win tonight by the Panthers with no Cleary, Luai and Fisher-Harris against an inform Rabbits.

It was an exciting game too, Penrith scored a try with 2 min left on the clock to take the lead, but a missed conversion left the door slightly ajar for Souths. Penrith held on for a well deserved 26-22 victory.

This seals the minor premiership for the mountain men, Souths now will find it very difficult to finish Top 4 to get the double chance in the finals.

1 Like

1 Like

Gil:

1 Like

I do think there is a strong mutual respect between V’Landys and Gil McLachlan, as they operate similar businesses and I think they don’t necessarily see each other as competition, i think there is room for both codes to co-exist across the country.