NRL on Nine

@Sully For me, I think that this year’s NRL Telecast on Nine has taken one step backwards from last year with Victoria, Tasmania, south Australia ans wa viewers missing out on post match talk. Sadly, there’s no golden point and kick off post match program added to 9now for catchup.

3 Likes

I’m sure the 3 people watching are flicking over to 9Now like @djpower or moving on and getting over it.

QLD promo

I can’t see it happening.

QLD have lost a lot of experienced players, from arguably their strongest team of all time, it will take a bit of time to rebuild.

1 Like

Great promo.
I get the feeling that in match 1 Ray Warren will more likely to drive from Sydney to Brisbane to call the match. Ray has done it a few times when using car to travel from Sydney to Brisbane. James bracey and other presenters and commentators will be flying on a plane. Meanwhile, it looks like James Bracey will host the 3 Test Series.

Will Ray Warren take the Indian Pacific train to Perth to call State of Origin game 2?

1 Like

Ray may catch a train to Perth to call Game 2 at Optus stadium.
In 2020, when Origin will be played at Adelaide oval, ray warren will either catch a Indian Pacific train to Adelaide or drive. Ray has driven a lot even he drove to Newcastle, Wollongong, Canberra and Melbourne

I love the annual guessing game about Ray Warren’s mode of travel to the State of Origin. I’m tipping a hot air balloon for ANZ Stadium.

2 Likes

That’s still flying!

He won’t like that, it’s even less safe than a plane.

2 Likes

In all seriousness, I think Mat Thompson should be given the opportunity to call the Perth Origin game.

He is a good commentator and deserves an opportunity to call a marquee game, he has served enough of an apprenticeship.

My personal preference, but I prefer his commentary to Ray Warrens anyway.

3 Likes

RAy warren will turn 76 next month. By the time the NRL broadcasting rights expire in late 2022, retirement is imminent for Ray. I believe he has still got a few years left to commentate. His fear of flying gets worse, especially at his age. In 2020, the Origin will be played in Adelaide, I think he may Either drive or take the Indian pacific train or get other young guys (Thompson) to commentate. What is the problem of Ray is that he calls wrong players, mispronounces the players name.

1 Like

Yes, he’s certainly well and truly past his best.

1 Like

I wonder how Nine is going to do their Friday night (Sea Eagles vs Broncos) and Sunday afternoon (Rabbitohs vs Cowboys) preview shows this weekend, given they will be taking place while there is play on the Suncorp Stadium field (during the Wests Tigers vs Panthers and Roosters vs Raiders matches respectively).

Which brings me to the point that I can once recall in 2004 that they had an in-studio preview show before crossing over to New Zealand for a match between the Bulldogs and Warriors.

1 Like

Good question, possibly from the studio or maybe from a booth outside the stadium?

I’d say, at the very least, a booth outside the stadium. Then they would cross inside the studio once their contracted matches are close to starting.

While we’re at it, I also think the Sunday Footy Show should also be televised from Brisbane, too. I can recall the show once being produced out of Suncorp, but just can’t remember which year (may have been 2005).

1 Like

From my perspective, I think Erin Molan will host Friday Night Football along with JT Thurston. On Sundays Molan will host the Sunday footy show (probably in Brisbane). Then Bracey will do Sunday afternoon football as host.

2 Likes

Round 9

FANS DESCEND ON BRISBANE FOR INAUGURAL ‘MAGIC ROUND’

Round 9 heralds the arrival of the first Magic Round in the NRL, with all 16 teams competing at Brisbane’s Suncorp Stadium over four days and big crowds expected.

Kicking off the action for NRL on Nine , the Titans and Sharks do battle on Macca’s Thursday Night Footy , both aiming for more consistency. After knocking off Melbourne in one of the upsets of the season, the Sharks go into this game full of confidence. Winger Sosaia Feki returns for Cronulla, lining up against Anthony Don , who recently became the Titans’ all-time leading try-scorer. The Gold Coast have lost halfback Tyrone Roberts , and need to keep their error count down if they want to challenge the tough Sharks pack.

The Manly Sea Eagles, the big surprise packets of the competition, face the Brisbane Broncos on VB Friday Night Footy . Manly continue to surpass all expectations, despite being plagued with injuries and missing key personnel. Returning coach Des Hasler has them firing, with unheralded players like Reuben Garrick and Manase Fainu stepping up when needed.

The Broncos are more desperate for a big win than anyone, with plenty to prove in front of their home crowd. They get Kotoni Staggs back, one of their few shining lights this season, and Jake Turpin comes in at hooker to replace the injured Andrew McCullough.

Chemist Warehouse Sunday Footy pits the in-form Rabbitohs against the inconsistent Cowboys, who have lost Josh McGuire. Matt Scott and human wrecking ball Jason Taumalolo, back for the second week, must take on the monster Rabbitohs pack, while winger Kyle Feldt boosts the Cowboys out wide on his return.

Souths are on a roll after dismantling the Broncos last week, as Cody Walker and Cameron Murray continue to push for a NSW Origin jersey.

With the NSW vs QLD battle on the horizon, tune in to Nine’s new series, 100% Origin , which can be seen every Monday exclusively on Wide World of Sports , as State of Origin legends retell their favourite memories and stories, and make their bold predictions for the upcoming 2019 series. This week Phil Gould, Wally Lewis and Sam Thaiday join host James Bracey.

Broadcast Times

Today – Thursday, May 9
Titans vs Sharks
Sydney 7.30pm LIVE on Nine
Brisbane 7.30pm LIVE on Nine
Melbourne 7.30pm LIVE on 9GEM
Adelaide 7.00pm LIVE on 9GEM
Perth 5.30pm LIVE on 9GEM

Friday – May 10
Sea Eagles vs Broncos

Sunday – May 12
Rabbitohs vs Cowboys
Sydney 3.00pm LIVE on Nine
Brisbane 3.00pm LIVE on Nine
Melbourne 3.00pm LIVE on 9GO!
Adelaide 2.30pm LIVE on 9GEM
Perth 1.00pm LIVE on 9GEM

FOUR DAYS OF FOOTY LIVE ON NINE

THURSDAY, MAY 9:

• MACCA’S THURSDAY NIGHT FOOTY – Titans vs Sharks, LIVE from Suncorp Stadium at 7.30pm AEST on Nine.

Host and commentators: James Bracey, Andrew Johns, Billy Slater, Paul Vautin, Ruan Sims, Johnathan Thurston, Danika Mason, Brad Fittler, Mat Thompson.

• MACCA’S GOLDEN POINT – LIVE from Suncorp Stadium following Titans vs Sharks. It explores the big stories to come out the game, and features exclusive behind-the-scenes access to players and coaches on the field and in the sheds.

FRIDAY, MAY 10:

• VB FRIDAY NIGHT FOOTY – Sea Eagles vs Broncos , LIVE from Suncorp Stadium at 7.30pm AEST on Nine.

Host and commentators: Erin Molan, Phil Gould, Wally Lewis, Brad Fittler, Darren Lockyer, Andrew Johns, Billy Slater, Sam Thaiday, Mat Thompson.

• FRIDAY NIGHT KNOCK OFF – LIVE from Suncorp Stadium following Sea Eagles vs Broncos. It explores the big stories to come from the game, and has exclusive behind-the-scenes access to players and coaches on the field and in the sheds.

SUNDAY, MAY 12:

• SPORTS SUNDAY – Sunday at 10.00am AEST, LIVE on Nine. This week: guest host Todd Woodbridge is joined by Peter FitzSimons and Paul Gallen, with guests including former Australian champion athlete Melinda Gainsford-Taylor and journalist Neil Breen.

• SUNDAY NRL FOOTY SHOW – LIVE from 11.00am AEST on Nine. Host Erin Molan will cover all the Round 9 action so far with Peter Sterling, Brad Fittler, and former Maroons great and current NRL Commissioner, Mark Coyne.

• SUNDAY FOOTY – QLD Residents vs NSW Residents, Intrust Super Cup vs Canterbury Cup representative match. LIVE from Dolphin Stadium at 1.00pm AEST on GEM for NSW and QLD viewers ONLY.

Hosts and commentators: Peter Psaltis, Jamie Soward, Scott Sattler.

• CHEMIST WAREHOUSE SUNDAY KICK OFF – LIVE from Suncorp Stadium at 3.00pm AEST on Nine ahead of Chemist Warehouse Sunday Footy . A preview of the upcoming action from the best minds in the game.

• CHEMIST WAREHOUSE SUNDAY FOOTY – Rabbitohs vs Cowboys, LIVE from Suncorp Stadium at 4.00pm AEST on Nine.

Host and commentators: James Bracey, Phil Gould, Wally Lewis, Sam Thaiday, Allana Ferguson, Andrew Johns, Darren Lockyer, Mat Thompson.

MONDAY, MAY 13:

• 100% FOOTY – 9.40pm AEST on Nine. 100% Footy is the home of the strongest opinions in rugby league from the people who count. Phil Gould returns with Paul Gallen, alongside Ruan Sims, journalist Neil Breen and host James Bracey.

Check local guides for details. Times will differ.

PODCAST – SIX TACKLES WITH GUS

James Bracey discusses the biggest issues of the week with rugby league legend and expert commentator Phil Gould on Six Tackles with Gus .

This week:

• What to expect from the inaugural Magic Round
  • How can the Broncos turn things around?
  • Speculating on the potential NSW Origin squad

Podcast available for download here: Round 9 – Six Tackles with Gus

Round 10

STATE OF ORIGIN SELECTION HEATS UP WITH THREE BIG GAMES

With Magic Round in the rear-view mirror, the road to State of Origin has officially begun as players look to make a statement ahead of selection in Round 10 of NRL on Nine .

It kicks off tonight with Macca’s Thursday Night Footy , pitting the Melbourne Storm against the up-and-down Wests Tigers. Confidence will be high in both teams after emphatic victories last week.

Melbourne lose metre-eating fullback Jahrome Hughes and centre Curtis Scott through injury, with the fleet-footed and promising Ryan Papenhuyzen filling in for Hughes.

Tigers halfback Luke Brooks continues to impress, and if the Tigers can keep their completion rates high they could give last year’s grand finalists a scare. His halves partner, Benji Marshall, looks revitalised after five weeks off with an injury, and he was instrumental in their defeat of the Panthers last round.

In VB Friday Night Footy the Brisbane Broncos face the Sydney Roosters in a showcase for several players in Origin contention for NSW and Queensland. After a crucial win against a depleted Manly side last week, the Broncos have lost Jack Bird for the season, while James Roberts, “The Jet”, remains out of favour. They regain sharpshooting winger Jamayne Isaako following a stint on the sidelines.

The Roosters have named star Latrell Mitchell to start, despite a groin injury scare, but lose captain Boyd Cordner to concussion. The reliable Mitchell Aubusson replaces him in a seasoned pack that will be out to overwhelm the younger Broncos.

In Chemist Warehouse Sunday Footy the Cronulla Sharks defend their home turf against the gutsy Manly Sea Eagles, who continue to prove the doubters wrong. Though coming off a loss, they get representative player Dylan Walker back for his first game of the season, and Addin Fonua-Blake and Lachlan Croker both return.

The battle up front between Sharks captain Paul Gallen and Jake Trbojevic could prove decisive, while the Sharks are also sweating on the health of powerhouse forward Andrew Fifita. Halfback Chad Townsend has been quietly brilliant for Cronulla, leading the NRL in supporting play statistics, and may prove the key in a Sharks victory.

Broadcast Times

Today – Thursday, May 16
Storm vs Tigers

Friday – May 17
Broncos vs Roosters

Sunday – May 19
Sharks vs Sea Eagles
Sydney 3.00pm LIVE on Nine
Brisbane 3.00pm LIVE on Nine
Melbourne 3.00pm LIVE on 9GEM
Adelaide 2.30pm LIVE on 9GEM
Perth 1.00pm LIVE on 9GEM

FOUR DAYS OF FOOTY LIVE ON NINE

THURSDAY, MAY 16:

· MACCA’S THURSDAY NIGHT FOOTY – Storm vs Tigers, LIVE from AAMI Park at 7.30pm AEST on Nine.

Host and commentators: James Bracey, Phil Gould, Andrew Johns, Brad Fittler, Johnathan Thurston, Danika Mason, Billy Slater, Mat Thompson.

· MACCA’S GOLDEN POINT – LIVE from AAMI Park following Storm vs Tigers. It explores the big stories to come out the game, and features exclusive behind-the-scenes access to players and coaches on the field and in the sheds.

FRIDAY, MAY 17:

· VB FRIDAY NIGHT FOOTY – Broncos vs Roosters , LIVE from Suncorp Stadium at 7.30pm AEST on Nine.

Host and commentators: Erin Molan, Phil Gould, Wally Lewis, Billy Slater, Sam Thaiday, Darren Lockyer, Andrew Johns, Brad Fittler, Mat Thompson.

· FRIDAY NIGHT KNOCK OFF – LIVE from Suncorp Stadium following Broncos vs Roosters. It explores the big stories to come from the game, and has exclusive behind-the-scenes access to players and coaches on the field and in the sheds.

SUNDAY, MAY 19:

• SPORTS SUNDAY – Sunday at 10.00am AEST, LIVE on Nine. This week: host James Bracey is joined by Peter FitzSimons, Liz Ellis, Todd Woodbridge and journalist Andrew Webster, with guests including NSW Swifts captain, Maddy Proud.

• SUNDAY NRL FOOTY SHOW – LIVE from 11.00am AEST on Nine. Host Erin Molan will cover all the Round 10 action so far with Peter Sterling, Brad Fittler and Darren Lockyer.

• SUNDAY FOOTY – Canterbury Cup NSW: Newtown Jets vs Blacktown Workers Sea Eagles, LIVE from Henson Park at 1.00pm AEST on GEM for NSW viewers ONLY.

Hosts and commentators: Jamie Soward, Danika Mason, Matt de Groot.

• SUNDAY FOOTY – Intrust Super Cup: Mendi Blackhawks vs Sunshine Coast Falcons, LIVE from Jack Manski Oval at 1.00pm AEST on GEM for QLD viewers ONLY.

Hosts and commentators: Scott Sattler, Mark Braybrook, Adam Jackson.

• CHEMIST WAREHOUSE SUNDAY KICK OFF – LIVE from Pointsbet Stadium at 3.00pm AEST on Nine ahead of Chemist Warehouse Sunday Footy . A preview of the upcoming action from the best minds in the game.

· CHEMIST WAREHOUSE SUNDAY FOOTY – Sharks vs Sea Eagles, LIVE from Pointsbet Stadium at 4.00pm AEST on Nine.

Host and commentators: James Bracey, Andrew Johns, Allana Ferguson, Peter Sterling, Brad Fittler, Darren Lockyer, Mat Thompson.

MONDAY, MAY 20:

· 100% FOOTY – 10.30pm AEST on Nine. 100% Footy is the home of the strongest opinions in rugby league from the people who count. Phil Gould returns with Paul Gallen, alongside Ruan Sims, journalist Neil Breen and host James Bracey.

*** Check local guides for details. Times will differ.*

WIDE WORLD OF SPORTS – 100% ORIGIN

· Exclusively on Wide World of Sports every Monday, James Bracey sits down with Origin legends Peter Sterling, Darren Lockyer and Andrew Johns to retell their greatest memories, make bold predictions, and discuss Round 10’s biggest Origin headlines. Watch the latest episode HERE .

PODCAST – SIX TACKLES WITH GUS

· James Bracey discusses the biggest issues of the week with rugby league legend and expert commentator Phil Gould on Six Tackles with Gus .

This week:

o The likelihood of Nathan Cleary playing in State of Origin

o Speculating on whether Cameron Smith could make an Origin comeback

o The secret circumstances around Brad Fittler’s return to Origin in 2003

Podcast available for download here: Round 10 – Six Tackles with Gus

I was changing channels on Sunday when I stumbled on the preview for Rabbitohs v Cowboys on 9Gem. The panel was inside Suncorp Stadium (I think it was level 2), with the fans in the background watching the earlier game. You could occasionally hear the fans screaming and cheering.

I’ve seen a few ads on Nine Adelaide for the Storm vs Tigers on 9GEM at 7pm (CST) tonight, including one during Nine News last night. I didn’t think they would be promoting it much at all.

No NRL coverage during the 6pm news though, which didn’t surprise me.

2 Likes