NRL on Nine

Poster

2 Likes
2 Likes

Another great cause. I’ll be buying a few beanies on Sunday at the Knights vs Panthers game

They could probably do the normal 6pm bulletin on Go or GEM as well for those not interested in Rugby League.

1 Like

And I wonder how much of this decision by Nine Perth to show State Of Origin on the main channel live in prime time can be attributed to

• Perth hosting a State Of Oriign match in 2019 at the new Burswood stadium
    or
  • The impending likelihood of the Western Force being cut from the Super Rugby competition, which will increase the chances of Perth having its own NRL team again (rumoured to be called the Perth Pirates if it happens).

Channel Nine Perth would be looking to promote its NRL coverage to help drum up support for such a team, which will give it opportunities to air regular games for in prime time (given Seven have the Eagles and Dockers all to themselves).

2 Likes

Doubt they would be on the main channel though given the Storm is on 9GEM in Melbourne for every game apart from Grand Finals and maybe the Preliminary Final.

That’s what I would have thought too, but if you read @Super_SC 's post from 4 days ago at this link below, apparently it will be on 9 / 9HD in Perth.

I was talking about if Perth get a new NRL team.

1 Like

Also can’t help but noticed that a lot of the times that are posted don’t include Hobart. So is it on GEM down there? I ask cause I’m going down to Tassie in July.

Yes. Hobart follows the Melbourne schedule.

1 Like

Perth 9 and 9HD schedule for SOO night

Wednesday 31 May
04:00 PM Millionaire Hot Set
05:00 PM Nine News
05:30 PM State of Origin
08:30 PM The Footy Show
10:00 PM 20 to One
11:00 PM Two And A Half Men x 2

3 Likes

Last year, Adelaide missed out the Pre-Game Origin discussions. Adelaide didn’t start the NRL coverage until 7:30PM (SA Time). A Current Affair took priority over the Pre-Game Discussions.
I think that Adelaide viewers would have the #Origin coverage starting at 7PM with the Pre-game talk.

Confirmed by Nine Network schedule thread. Good news for rugby league fans in SA.

3 Likes

I am interested to see if SOO (any game) will beat the Australian Open Men’s Final, which raked in 2.7m (metro).

It won’t get a ~51% main channel share (still can’t believe Ch 7 pulled that off, ridiculous).

But could get close in viewer number. Last year (Game 1) overnight had 2.69m including Perth (metro).

Question:
So is SOO no longer airing on 9Gem in Perth?

:disappointed_relieved:

I think there’s literally thirteen people.

1 Like

Don’t worry, Perth fans will get it in Channel 9 in Hd.

It’ll be very interesting to see how the ratings go for the State Of Origin on Nine in Perth.

Next Wednesday’s first match will be the first time SoO has ever aired live on the main channel over in the West, right? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

NINE TO DEBUT GPS TRACKING IN STATE OF ORIGIN 2017

Nine’s Wide World of Sports, in conjunction with the NRL, today announced the exciting addition of a state-of the-art GPS player tracking system, the Telstra Tracker, to deliver in-match technology to viewers in State of Origin I on Wednesday, May 31 - Exclusively LIVE and FREE on Nine.

Live information including speed, distance covered, heat maps of where players have been on the field will all be incorporated into this Australian-first technology – and a first for rugby league broadcasting.

The Telstra Tracker is made possible through a collaboration between Nine, the NRL, NSWRL, the QRL along with a global leader in GPS player tracking, Catapult. Together they will unveil a system that NRL clubs and coaches have been using to measure players’ key performance indicators.

Executive Producer of Nine NRL Ben Clark says: “We’re really excited to add the Telstra Tracker to our State of Origin broadcast. It has been a massive effort by all parties to make this happen, with viewers the big winners.

“The data we’ll display will take the audience deeper into the inner sanctum of what’s available to players and coaches during a match and give everyone watching a greater understanding of what it takes to play rugby league at the ultimate level.”

Telstra Tracker is the biggest innovation in a rugby league broadcasts since Spidercam was introduced over a decade ago.

Nine Wide World of Sports Head of Creative Alex Rolls, says: “There are reasons all 16 clubs have been using this information to analyse players’ performances game in, game out. We are excited that the Wide World of Sports NRL is partnering with the NRL to bring viewers closer to the action,”

“We’re going to compare hookers, who’s doing the work, who’s covering the most metres, who’s the fastest winger, and heat maps showing comparing the all the big Origin player match-ups.”

The technology, known as LPS or Local Positioning System, is even more accurate than GPS as it relies on 20 beacons placed around Suncorp Stadium. The data is accurate to within 15 centimetres.

NRL Head of Strategy David Silverton says: “This is a very exciting initiative for the game which will have significant benefits not only for our fans but for players as well.”

“With this advanced technology, viewers will be able to access new insights into how the game is played and it will no doubt further highlight the unbelievable athletic qualities of the best of the best in rugby league. We have been working on this for some time and also thank the NSWRL, QRL and the players for supporting this initiative.”

2017 HOLDEN STATE OF ORIGIN GAMES:

SOO Game 1 – Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane Wednesday, May 31, at 7.30pm
SOO Game 2 – ANZ Stadium, Sydney Wednesday, June 21, at 7.30pm
SOO Game 3 – Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane Wednesday, July 12, at 7.30pm

** Check local guides for details.

Broadcast Times

Wednesday, May 31, 2017
State of Origin Game 1

Sydney 7.30pm LIVE on Nine
Brisbane 7.30pm LIVE on Nine
Melbourne 7.30pm LIVE on Nine
Adelaide 7.30pm LIVE on Nine
Perth 5.30pm LIVE on Nine

1 Like

###ROUND 12

RABBITOHS VS EELS RAIDERS VS ROOSTERS

In the lead-up to State of Origin, Nine’s Round 12 NRL coverage will warm footy fans up from a chilly GIO Stadium in Canberra where the Raiders host the Roosters on Sunday Afternoon Football.

The Raiders have been largely unaffected by Origin selections and have X-Factor players across their squad such as Jordan Rapana, Joey Leilua and Blake Austin who have combined to turn the green machine into serious premiership threats.

Making the trip down the Hume Highway, the Roosters have a tough assignment ahead of them with key players missing and their rivals vocal home crowd doing their best to make them feel unwelcome with the now famous Viking clap.

Helping the Roosters will be the depth they possess in their roster with energetic playmaker Connor Watson stepping into the side with eagerness to deliver for skipper Jake Friend who will be playing his 200th NRL match.

Nine’s rugby league expert, Brad Fittler, says: “The Raiders have certainly established themselves as entertainers and coach Ricky Stuart has them playing an enjoyable brand of football that causes plenty of headaches for opposition teams.

“I’m really looking forward to the centre-wing battle with Leilua and Rapana for the Raiders and Latrell Mitchell and Daniel Tupou for the Roosters. I wouldn’t discount the Roosters chances, they have plenty of players on the park this week that can get the job done.”

Fittler’s player to watch: “Jake Friend – I’ve always admired him for his playing style and consistency. He’ll be pumped up for a big game on Sunday to celebrate his milestone which is no easy feat in the modern competition.”

Starting the round tonight on Friday Night Football will be the Rabbitohs and Eels LIVE and FREE from ANZ Stadium, Sydney where new Eels star recruit Mitchell Moses will be on the hunt for his first win at his new club.

Looking to halt the progress of Moses will be Rabbitohs premiership-winning halfback Adam Reynolds who will draw on all of his experience and crucial kicking game to get his side the win tonight as they look to hop up the ladder.

An interesting forward battle promises to play out with England international and Rabbitohs captain Sam Burgess leading the charge with his take-no-prisoners approach being put to the test against Eels hardmen Beau Scott, Manu Ma’u and Tepai Moeroa.

Broadcast Times

Friday 26 May
Rabbitohs vs Eels

Sydney 7.30pm LIVE on Nine
Brisbane 7.30pm LIVE on Nine
Melbourne 7.30pm LIVE on 9GEM
Adelaide 7.00pm LIVE on 9GEM
Perth 5.30pm LIVE on 9GEM

Sunday 28 May
Raiders vs Roosters

Sydney 3.30pm LIVE on Nine
Brisbane 3.30pm LIVE on Nine
Melbourne 3.30pm LIVE on 9GEM
Adelaide 3.00pm LIVE on 9GEM
Perth 1.30pm LIVE on 9GEM

RUGBY LEAGUE ACTION THIS WEEK ON NINE

• SIX TACKLES WITH GUS – Nine’s James Bracey talks the biggest rugby league issues of the week with NRL legend and expert commentator Phil Gould on Six Tackles with Gus.

• SPORTS SUNDAY – Sunday, May 28, at 10.00am - Frank and open debate on all the big issues in the week of sport. Paul Gallen joins Peter FitzSimons, Liz Ellis, Terry Kennedy and Emma Freedman

• SUNDAY NRL FOOTY SHOW – SOO Preview, Sunday, May 28, at 11.00am – Hosted by Peter Sterling who is joined by fellow NSW Origin legend Brad Fittler, Bulldogs star Josh Reynolds and Jillaroos star Sam Bremner

**Check local guides for details. Times will differ.

1 Like

Who are you guys backing?

1 Like

NSW!

1 Like