NRL on Nine

It’s disappointing (but not surprising) that this game isn’t being shown on the main channel and in HD in Melbourne.

3 Likes

More people will be watching AFL match between Carlton and Essendon on Seven at the same time, but I agree a special match like Storm v Sharks (grand final rematch) deserves to be live in HD in Melbourne.

4 Likes

GOOD FRIDAY NRL DOUBLE-HEADER

BULLDOGS VS RABBITOHS & BRONCOS VS TITANS

Viewers are set for an epic Easter weekend of NRL action, starting when Nine’s Wide World of Sports gives the rugby league faithful a blockbuster Good Friday double-header.

At 3.30pm AEST tomorrow, Nine presents LIVE and FREE, across the nation, the Bulldogs- Rabbitohs clash at ANZ Stadium – their traditional Easter showdown.

This is a game for both clubs to confirm their premiership credentials after an up-and-down start to the season.

Nine’s NRL expert Brad Fittler says: “I look forward to this game every year because it is always a pretty spiteful clash. I think it has a lot to do with English internationals James Graham of the Bulldogs and Sam Burgess of the Rabbitohs going up against each other. For some reason it brings out the best in them.

“Two years ago this game boiled over and it wouldn’t surprise me if it happens again. The Doggies have had a resurrection of their own in the last two weeks and shifted Brett Morris to fullback, which I think is a good move by coach Des Hasler.”

Fittler’s player to watch is Cody Walker: “He’s been doing it all, setting up tries and scoring tries. He has stepped up since Greg Inglis suffered a long-term knee injury in round one and he has really impressed me, so expect more of the same on Good Friday.”

After the full time whistle in Sydney, Nine will take viewers to Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane for the local derby between the Broncos and Titans from 7.30pm AEST.

The Broncos took the shackles off their attack last week and will be out to keep it going against the Titans, who field a big forward pack and the creative halves combination of Ash Taylor and Kane Elgey.

The Broncos have proven they have a strong defensive line. The Titans will need patience if they’re to crack it, while staying wary of dangermen James Roberts, Anthony Milford and Sam Thaiday, who can all cause headaches for the visitors.

On Sunday Afternoon Football, the Sharks, the defending premiers, make the trip to Pepper Stadium to tame the youthful exuberance of the Panthers.

The Sharks showed they still have what it takes with a gritty away win against the Storm last week, but will face a Panthers side who can pile on the points in an instant and were tipped as early favourites to take the Sharks’ premiership crown this season.

Captain Matt Moylan returns to the delight of fans and will need a big game against a Sharks outfit with representative stars including James Maloney, Jack Bird and Wade Graham.

Broadcast Times

Friday, April 14
Bulldogs vs Rabbitohs

Sydney 3.30pm LIVE on Nine
Brisbane 3.30pm LIVE on Nine
Melbourne 3.30pm LIVE on 9GEM
Adelaide 3.00pm LIVE on 9GEM
Perth 1.30pm LIVE on 9GEM

Broncos vs Titans

Sydney 7.30pm LIVE on Nine
Brisbane 7.30pm LIVE on Nine
Melbourne 7.30pm LIVE on 9GEM
Adelaide 7.00pm LIVE on 9GEM
Perth 5.30pm LIVE on 9GEM

Sunday, April 16
Panthers vs Sharks

RUGBY LEAGUE ACTION THIS WEEK ON NINE

• SIX TACKLES WITH GUS – Today. Nine’s James Bracey talks the biggest rugby league issues of the week with NRL legend and expert commentator Phil Gould on Six Tackles with Gus.
This week: Player salary inflation, Referees and some advice for the Tigers

• THE NRL FOOTY SHOW – Tonight, Thursday, April 13 at 8.30pm AEST LIVE.
Fatty Vautin, Erin Molan, Beau Ryan and Darryl Brohman return at the special time of 8.30.
Brad Fittler and Johnathan Thurston join the show LIVE. See what Beau gets up too when he pays Vin Diesel and Charlize Theron a visit ahead of The Fate of the Furious, and prepare to fall in love with a 12-year-old boy who has devoted his life to learning the history of our great game.
Available LIVE in every city across the country on 9NOW

• SPORTS SUNDAY – Sunday, April 16, at 10.00am AEST, LIVE on Nine. Frank and open debate on all the big issues in the week of sport. This week Adam MacDougall and Candice Warner join the show alongside Peter FitzSimons, Neil Breen and Emma Freedman.

• THE SUNDAY FOOTY SHOW – Sunday, April 16, at 11.00am AEST, LIVE on Nine. Our experts dissect all the action so far in round seven, with special guests Billy Slater and Allana Ferguson joining Andrew Johns and James Bracey.

**Check local guides for details. Times will differ.

Fatty and Sterlo in co-commentary tonight. Just needed Rabs and it would’ve been like old times.

Was Joey on the piss or on a bender again to make them drag Fatty out of virtual mothballs?

1 Like

He commentated on the 4pm Souths vs Canterbury game alongside Freddy Fittler.

Mathew Thompson calling today’s match between Penrith and Cronulla (go Sharkies!). I was expecting Ray Warren to commentate this.

Ray hasn’t been calling as many games as I thought he would - it’s generally only been one a week, and there’s been a few Sydney games he hasn’t called.

It’s also Easter so it makes sense to me he might take a lesser/no role this weekend to spend time with family.

1 Like

He commentated the Good Friday game between Canterbury and Souths.

1 Like

I could hear Mat Thompson who had a similar gravelly voice like Ray Warren. Thompson called the match with Joey and Freddie as the boundary rider.

Boundary Rider?
Isn’t that a term that gets used in AFL broadcasts more so than NRL?
I think Nine calls theirs “sideline eyes” ?

2 Likes

Today’s Eels v Tigers game not on GEM or 9?

Yeah, it’s only airing on Fox. Nine have already shown their three (2 on Friday and one yesterday) games this round.

4 Likes

great to have a NRL Game in Hd into Perth.

2 Likes

##ROUND 8

A rugby league battle for the ages is set to play out on ANZAC Day when the competition-leading Dragons come under fire from the Roosters, LIVE and FREE on the Nine Network.

From 3.30pm AEST on Tuesday, Nine will give viewers unprecedented access inside Allianz Stadium with the best commentary team in the game covering this blockbuster.

Prior to the start of the season the Dragons were written off by all the experts, but they have fought their way past more fancied opponents through a brutal forward pack and the class of playmaker Gareth Widdop.

The Roosters have shown how lethal they can be and are a genuine premiership threat in 2017.

Nine’s NRL expert Phil Gould says: “The ANZAC Day match between the Roosters and Dragons is one of the highlights of the rugby league calendar. It’s a celebration of our ANZAC spirit and a clash between two of our game’s greatest rivals.

“The Dragons deservedly lead the competition after seven rounds. The Roosters bounced back to form last weekend and look primed for this big-event confrontation.”

Gould’s player to watch is Gareth Widdop: “He has really impressed me in 2017 with the leadership qualities he has displayed, as well as providing the polish to the Dragons attack that has rewarded the no-nonsense approach of their forward pack. Widdop will hold the keys to a win for the famous Red V.”

Getting the round underway will be two clubs with the largest supporter bases in the NRL: the Rabbitohs and the Broncos, on Friday Night Football at ANZ Stadium.

The Rabbitohs failed to fire against the Bulldogs last week while the Broncos stole a late victory thanks to speedster James Roberts. The Rabbitohs go into the match as underdogs but shouldn’t be underestimated with the commitment they can display behind their leader Sam Burgess, who has been cleared to play by the NRL judiciary.

On Sunday Afternoon Football, the Tigers, who have shown improvement under new coach Ivan Cleary, will be out to sink their claws into the resurgent Bulldogs who have proven the doubters wrong with three wins on the trot.

The Tigers’ off-contract stars James Tedesco and Aaron Woods have found form and won’t be afraid to chance their arm with representative season approaching, while the Bulldogs will follow the lead of Josh Reynolds and James Graham, who have been inspirational in recent weeks.

Friday 21April
Rabbitohs vs Broncos

Sydney 7.30pm LIVE on Nine
Brisbane 7.30pm LIVE on Nine
Melbourne 7.30pm LIVE on 9GEM
Adelaide 7.00pm LIVE on 9GEM
Perth 5.30pm LIVE on 9GEM

Sunday 23 April
Tigers vs Bulldogs

Tuesday 25 April
Roosters vs Dragons

RUGBY LEAGUE ACTION THIS WEEK ON NINE

• SIX TACKLES WITH GUS – Today. Nine’s James Bracey talks the biggest rugby league issues of the week with NRL legend and expert commentator Phil Gould on Six Tackles with Gus.
  • This week: Gareth Widdop and Josh Dugan off-contract, Kieran Foran, Player draft, Knights roster, and Western Sydney derby scheduling.
  • THE NRL FOOTY SHOW – Tonight, April 20, at 8.30pm AEST LIVE.
  • Fatty Vautin, Erin Molan, Beau Ryan and Darryl Brohman return with special guests Johnathan Thurston and Sam Thaiday joining the show LIVE. Erin details a rugby league redemption story with former NRL star Danny Wicks after a stint in prison and walking away from his comeback with the Eels. Sizzling Away with Sam Thaiday visits James Maloney, and Beau Knows Berlin – and it gets very weird when he goes underground in the German capital.
    Available LIVE in every city across the country on 9NOW
  • SPORTS SUNDAY – Sunday, April 23, at 10.00am AEST, LIVE on Nine. Frank and open debate on all the big issues in the week of sport. This week Paul Gallen, Melinda Gainsford-Taylor, Richard Freedman and Neil Breen join Emma Freedman.
  • THE SUNDAY FOOTY SHOW – Sunday, April 23, at 11.00am AEST, LIVE on Nine. Our experts deliver a special preview of the ANZAC Day game with Dragons hooker Cameron McInnes joining the panel LIVE in the studio alongside Andrew Johns, Brad Fittler, Adam MacDougall and James Bracey.

**Check local guides for details. Times will differ.

According to my EPG it says 9HD in perth.

1 Like

Probably not the best turn of phrase for Nine to use during the ANZAC round.

2nd or 3rd time the Anzac Day clash is shown live on main channel in Perth?

I’m pretty sure it was 2nd. (sorry I got a bad memory!)

ANZAC score board

1 Like