NRL on Nine

Sterlo as expert. Fitler on sideline and Joey was also involved.

1 Like

if occasional means every thursday & friday, then yes.

“Fuck off”

• Queensland

I’m not, he is the best caller and I can’t imagine a State of Origin or Grand Final without him. Andrew Voss is the next best calller and Nine would regret him leaving. Matt Thompson isn’t too bad, but quite inexperienced.

2 Likes

The FOX Sports team is better. Warren Smith, Andrew Voss, Matt Russell and whoever does the NZ games are miles ahead of Rabs. Andrew Moore and Richard Svenson on ABC Radio are really good too.

2 Likes

Ray Warren is one of the last members of an iconic “Wide World Of Sports” team still at Nine, with most others having retired or sadly passed on in recent years.

While I wouldn’t say that I’m a massive fan of his, I do think it will be a very sad day when he finally retires. When the time comes, hopefully Nine will give Ray the massive send-off he deserves.

1 Like

##ROUND 5

Battling Bulldogs up against Bennett’s Broncos, Cowboys riding through the destruction of Debbie with the return of Taumalolo and the Dragons in fire-breathing form: it shapes as another huge week of rugby league on Nine.

It starts with the Bulldogs versus Broncos on Thursday Night Football. Nine’s Wide World of Sports will deliver its live and free coverage from ANZ Stadium in a game where tempers are tipped to boil over.

The Bulldogs failed to score a point last week against the Sea Eagles and coach Des Hasler will need to draw on all of his experience and tactical nous to put the bite back into the “Dogs of War”.

Broncos mastermind Wayne Bennett will make sure his squad is ready for an ambush from a Bulldogs side boasting one of the biggest forward packs in the competition.

Nine’s rugby league expert, Darren Lockyer, says: “All the criticism of the Bulldogs this week will only make the assignment harder for the Broncos. The Bulldogs need to start well to boost their confidence, and they can do this via their big forward pack. So expect the early exchanges to be fiery.

“The key for the Broncos is to put pressure on them with the scoreboard. Wayne would be reminding his players about how much flak the Bulldogs have copped this week.”

Lockyer’s player to watch is David Klemmer: “He’ll be the one to spark the aggression the Bulldogs need to get away to a good start – I imagine there’ll be a few melees early and he’ll be front and centre.”

Friday Night Football takes us to Townsville where the Cowboys will be out to lift the spirits of the locals after Cyclone Debbie ravaged much of Far North Queensland.

The Rabbitohs are flying into the eye of their own storm. Can they weather a Cowboys attack with Johnathan Thurston, Jason Taumalolo, Michael Morgan, Coen Hess and exciting speedster Gideon Gela-Mosby plotting their very own path of destruction?

On Sunday Afternoon Football, the Tigers will look to rediscover their roar against a Dragons outfit that has gone marching into the top four after a strong and unexpected start to the season.

A win at ANZ Stadium would ease the pressure on the Tigers who have failed to deliver on the potential of their young stars, while the Dragons have built success through their forwards Paul Vaughan, Jack de Belin and Tyson Frizell, combined with backline dangermen Josh Dugan and Gareth Widdop.

Broadcast Times

Thursday 30 March
Bulldogs vs Broncos

Sydney 7.30pm LIVE on Nine
Brisbane 6.30pm LIVE on 9GEM; from 7.00pm LIVE on Nine
Melbourne 7.30pm LIVE on 9GEM
Adelaide 7.00pm LIVE on 9GEM
Perth 4.30pm LIVE on 9GEM

Friday 31 March
Cowboys vs Rabbitohs

Brisbane 6.30pm LIVE on 9GEM; from 7.00pm LIVE on Nine
Perth 4.30pm LIVE on 9GEM

Sunday, 2 April
Tigers vs Dragons

Sydney 3.30pm LIVE on Nine
Brisbane 3.30pm LIVE on Nine
Melbourne 3.30pm LIVE on 9GEM
Adelaide 3.00pm LIVE on 9GEM
Perth 1.30pm LIVE on 9GEM

RUGBY LEAGUE ACTION THIS WEEK ON NINE

• SIX TACKLES WITH GUS – Today. Nine’s James Bracey talks the biggest rugby league issues of the week with NRL legend and expert commentator Phil Gould on Six Tackles with Gus.

• This week: Unfair criticism of Des Hasler, the latest at the Tigers, and Keiran Foran

• THE NRL FOOTY SHOW – Thursday, March 30. Fatty, Erin, Beau and Darryl are back with the footy on Thursday night. George Burgess and Scott Sattler join the panel LIVE. Beau knows Korea, Erin is there when Rugby League Week closes forever, and we launch the new segment Between the Sticks. Available LIVE in every city across the country on 9NOW

• SPORTS SUNDAY – Sunday, April 2, at 10.30am AEDT, LIVE on Nine. Frank and open debate on all the issues in the week of sport. This week GWS Giants star Steve Johnson, Peter FitzSimons, Richard Freedman and Liz Ellis join Emma Freedman.

• THE SUNDAY FOOTY SHOW – Sunday, April 2, at 11.30am AEDT, LIVE on Nine. Our experts dissect all the action so far in round four with host James Bracey and panellists Andrew Johns, Brad Fittler and Paul Gallen.

I miss the old days of the Amco Cup on Ten with Ray Warren and Keith “Golden Boots” Barnes.

1 Like

Thank Christ for Fox League. Means I don’t have to listen/hear Ray Hadley’s commentary.

Can someone tell me what’s going on with Ch 9’s NRL in Sydney?

Second Friday night in a row with just 170k :dizzy_face:

New Fox League impact of something else?

1 Like

One theory is that the teams that have played on the last 2 Friday nights aren’t Sydney based derbies

Broncos v Raiders

and

Cowboys v Souths

Only one Sydney team there, and whilst Souths are popular, they were very unlikely to beat Nth Qld up there.

And on another note, I don’t understand why the Tigers are on Nine AGAIN this Sunday - a team who have already sacked their coach this year. This will be the 4th Sunday in a row.

1 Like

The NRL does the scheduling for the first 20 rounds so it is the luck of the draw that the Tigers play four Sundays in a row. No one would have expected the Tigers would play so badly after beating Souths in round 1, leading to the coach to be sacked.

2 Likes

I can’t imagine that Nine has been particularly happy to be airing Tigers games at the moment, especially the absolutely appalling performances of Round 2 & 3 which lead to the coach being sacked!

2 Likes

Not surprised by the Friday ratings. I had no interest in this game I tried but just couldn’t get into it.
The NRL regain control of the schedule next season so it should be interesting to see how that works out.

Fox League also has exclusive rights to the earlier game (6pm), which would also be impacting 9’s NRL coverage with viewers staying with Fox to watch the 2 NRL games on Friday and they also have a better commentary team.

5 Likes

Another thing that wouldn’t be helping the ratings are the low crowds at some of the games.

The Bulldogs vs Broncos on Thursday was hard to watch in some ways because there were only 7,000 spectators at a venue that holds over 80,000.

The AFL in some ways looks more appealing on TV because the crowds are generally better.

Did you see the weather? Everyone that went deserved a medal.

4 Likes

Yes, but still, 7,000 isn’t a great turnout.

Of course it isn’t a good turnout. But, if we didn’t have a months rain in one day than I’m sure there would have been far more.

###ROUND 6

NRL action on Nine goes up another gear this week with two NRL powerhouses colliding at Suncorp Stadium, the Panthers hunting the Rabbitohs, and the 2016 Grand Final rematch to top it off.

It starts with the Broncos versus Roosters on Thursday Night Football. Nine’s Wide World of Sports will deliver its live and free coverage with exclusive access inside Suncorp Stadium when two of the toughest defensive teams shape up for a bruising display.

The Broncos are battle-hardened after playing all of last season’s top four teams already in 2017, but they need a quality attack from Ben Hunt, Anthony Milford and Darius Boyd to beat the Roosters, who are one of the competition favourites with gun players like Mitchell Pearce and Boyd Cordner in top form.

Nine’s rugby league expert, Wally Lewis, says: “Two very talented rosters are on display so I expect this one to be a tight game with the home-ground advantage spurring the Broncos home.

“It seems strange that the Broncos let the win against the Bulldogs slip last weekend after being in control for most of the game. This week they’ll need their playmakers to step up if they’re going to beat the Roosters.”

Lewis’s player to watch is Anthony Milford: “Over the last couple of weeks his defence has been questioned and the Roosters will exploit that. His attack is yet to reach its potential this season too, but don’t be surprised if he does produce his best tomorrow night. Never underestimate a great player.”

Friday Night Football pits the Panthers against the Rabbitohs at Pepper Stadium where the visitors must disarm Panthers’ attack weapons Nathan Cleary, Te Maire Martin and Dallin Watene-Zelezniak.

The Panthers have proven their attacking capability with some big wins already in 2017 but are coming off a loss and will be without their captain, Matt Moylan. The up-and-down Rabbitohs remain competitive and will be confident of scoring an away win in what shapes as an intriguing contest.

On Sunday Afternoon Football, all current form will be thrown out the window when the Sharks travel to AAMI Park in Melbourne to take on the unbeaten Storm in the 2016 Grand Final rematch.

The Storm have been unstoppable this season, and even more lethal with the return of Billy Slater and the addition of speedster Josh Addo-Carr. The Sharks will bring their uncompromising style of play to AAMI Park and the same winning ingredients that broke their premiership drought last season.

The announcement of Cooper Cronk’s departure from the Storm at season’s end will only add to the drama, so be ready for an enthralling match-up on Sunday Afternoon Football – LIVE and FREE on Nine.

Broadcast Times

Thursday 6 April
Broncos vs Roosters

Brisbane 7.30pm LIVE on Nine
Perth 5.30pm LIVE on 9GEM

Friday 7 April
Panthers vs Rabbitohs

Brisbane 7.30pm LIVE on Nine
Perth 5.30pm LIVE on 9GEM

Sunday 9 April
Storm vs Sharks

Sydney 3.30pm LIVE on Nine
Brisbane 3.30pm LIVE on Nine
Melbourne 3.30pm LIVE on 9GEM
Adelaide 3.00pm LIVE on 9GEM
Perth 1.30pm LIVE on 9GEM

RUGBY LEAGUE ACTION THIS WEEK ON NINE

• SIX TACKLES WITH GUS – Today. Nine’s James Bracey talks the biggest rugby league issues of the week with NRL legend and expert commentator Phil Gould on Six Tackles with Gus. This week: Cooper Cronk, New contracts for coaches, and What does Ivan Cleary do with the Tigers?

• THE NRL FOOTY SHOW – Thursday, April 6. Fatty Vautin, Erin Molan, Beau Ryan and Darryl Brohman are back with the footy on Thursday night. Paul Gallen and Tommy Raudonikis join the panel LIVE. James Bracey has a special story from the launch of the Stuart Kelly remembrance game, plus last week’s wrap-up from rugby league locally and abroad in Between the Sticks. Available LIVE in every city across the country on 9NOW

• SPORTS SUNDAY – Sunday, April 9, at 10.30am AEDT, LIVE on Nine. Frank and open debate on all the big issues in the week of sport. This week Collingwood netball’s Sharni Layton and Candice Warner join the show alongside Peter FitzSimons, Neil Breen and Emma Freedman.

• THE SUNDAY FOOTY SHOW – Sunday, April 9, at 11.30am AEDT, LIVE on Nine. Our experts dissect all the action so far in round six, with Brad Fittler, Wally Lewis and Glenn Lazarus joining Peter Sterling.

**Check local guides for details. Times will differ.