NRL on Nine

The clock wasn’t working for the first few minutes of todays game either.

Just had “1st” (for 1st half) where the elapsed time usually is.

2 Likes

##ROUND 9

The mountain men out to right a season start gone wrong, the expected return of Johnathan Thurston, and a wounded Dragons outfit preparing for a Storm in Wollongong – that’s the round nine NRL menu starting tonight on Nine.

Tonight LIVE and FREE from Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane, Thursday Night Football pits the Broncos against the Panthers. Former Broncos now Panthers coach Anthony Griffin enjoys a very good record against Wayne Bennett, adding another layer to the rivalry between these two clubs.

The mountain men will have their work cut out, as the Broncos have shown they can win the close games after three wins in a row.

Nine’s rugby league expert, Darren Lockyer, says: “I’m expecting a lot of entertaining footy to be played tonight with a lot of offloads and second-phase play getting the fans off their seats.

“The Panthers haven’t got a lot to lose and they’ll throw caution to the wind. They like to shift the ball around and will do so in an attempt to tire the Broncos out.

“The coaching match-up is also an interesting one. Griffin’s history at the Broncos working below Bennett will add to theatre of the game.”

Lockyer’s player to watch: “Bryce Cartwright – a danger for the Broncos in his second game back from injury. He provides the X-factor for the Panthers.”

On Friday Night Football, Nine takes viewers to 1300SMILES Stadium in Townsville where the Cowboys will host the Eels. The Cowboys have rallied in recent weeks following a spate of injuries to their star players but will be eagerly awaiting the return of Johnathan Thurston, who will be a make a game-time decision.

The Eels have strike weapons in Corey Norman and Michael Jennings playing behind fearsome forwards Manu Ma’u and Beau Scott. They have been solid without being spectacular and are capable of anything.

On Sunday Afternoon Football, we bring viewers unparalleled access to the top of the table clash between the Dragons and Storm in Wollongong.

The Dragons face a tough task at home with their captain and playmaker Gareth Widdop ruled out against the Storm, who have lost just one game this season. They will however need to be wary of the Dragons, who have proven to be the surprise packets of 2017 and revel in the underdogs tag.

Broadcast Times

Thursday 27 April
Broncos vs Panthers

Sydney 7.30pm LIVE on Nine
Brisbane 7.30pm LIVE on Nine
Melbourne 7.30pm LIVE on 9GEM
Adelaide 7.00pm LIVE on 9GEM
Perth 5.30pm LIVE on 9GEM

Friday 28 April
Cowboys vs Eels

Sydney 7.30pm LIVE on Nine
Brisbane 7.30pm LIVE on Nine
Melbourne 7.30pm LIVE on 9GEM
Adelaide 7.00pm LIVE on 9GEM
Perth 5.30pm LIVE on 9GEM

Sunday 30 April
Dragons vs Storm

Sydney 3.30pm LIVE on Nine
Brisbane 3.30pm LIVE on Nine
Melbourne 3.30pm LIVE on 9GEM
Adelaide 3.00pm LIVE on 9GEM
Perth 1.30pm LIVE on 9GEM

RUGBY LEAGUE ACTION THIS WEEK ON NINE

• SIX TACKLES WITH GUS – Nine’s James Bracey talks the biggest rugby league issues of the week with NRL legend and expert commentator Phil Gould on Six Tackles with Gus.
  • This week: Jarryd Hayne, Why top players change clubs, and What’s going on with George Burgess?
  • THE NRL FOOTY SHOW – Tonight, April 27. Fatty Vautin, Erin Molan, Beau Ryan and Darryl Brohman are back after the footy. Luke Lewis and Tommy Raudonikis join the panel and international music sensations Milky Chance perform LIVE. Available LIVE in every city across the country on 9NOW
  • SPORTS SUNDAY – Sunday, April 30, at 10.00am AEST, LIVE on Nine. Frank and open debate on all the big issues in the week of sport. This week Liz Ellis and Richard Freedman join the show alongside Peter FitzSimons, Candice Warner and Michael Slater.
  • THE SUNDAY FOOTY SHOW – Sunday, April 30, at 11.00am AEST, LIVE on Nine. Our experts dissect all the round nine action, with Brad Fittler, Andrew Johns and Allana Ferguson joining James Bracey.

I am sick of seeing the Broncos get the Thurs or Fri night game on Nine…
It’s happened in all 9 rounds so far this year.

Fortunately, they are only on Nine Thurs/Fri night twice in the next 6 rounds.
Phew!

3 Likes

I’m a Broncos fan and even I’m sick of seeing them on Thurs/Fri night. Other teams deserve to have a crack.

4 Likes

Its been like that for like 5 years or so now, its an absolute f*cken joke!! And has only made everyone hate the Broncos more.

2 Likes

With apologies in advance to any fans of the club on this forum, can we also say that the West Tigers are one of those teams who probably get too many of their games on Nine?

OK, so the Tigers haven’t had quite as many FTA games as the Broncos who’ve long gotten a ridiculous amount of their games on Nine each year as others have pointed out. But especially for a team which so far this year has been performing fairly poorly on the field along with all those newsworthy behind the scenes dramas, I’m not quite sure that the Tigers deserve as many games on Nine as they’ve been getting so far this year (which I think has been all but two or three, including the opening five rounds)!

2 Likes

AFAIK The Broncos don’t like it either and would prefer a fairer proportion of afternoon games. But it’s all about ratings for Nine and wanting a return on the money they spent obtaining the NRL rights.

1 Like

As a lifetime Magpies fan I’ve always supported Wests, but never the Tigers! :smiley:

The free-to-air games should be spread around a bit more.

1 Like

Thankfully next season the NRL set the schedule and won’t schedule so many Broncos games.

6 Likes

Yes, the Tigers have been getting a lot of Sunday arvo games.

They’ve been on Nine in 6 of the last 8 rounds, including 4 Sunday arvo games in a row.

And they’re on Nine on Friday nights in the next 2 rounds, including 1 against the Broncos!!! :rage:

No wonder Nine’s ratings have been down this year.

2 Likes

It’s also unfair because Brisbane can have the same routine with the same time between games when some teams might have a short turn around.

Also, I go for the Cowboys, and in 2015 when they won the premiership, if you didn’t have Foxtel, you seen them play about 3 or 4 times all year (excluding finals).

2 Likes

What criteria do we think that NRL will use to schedule matches? Will it be a completely even allocation ie all clubs get roughly the same number of games on each day? Or will they take into account past performance or crowd numbers that might affect the revenue generated from the game. Will some clubs get more TV time because of their sponsor arrangements?

I think the NRL should take a leaf out of AFL’s scheduling method. Generally teams which finish on the bottom 3-4 places of the ladder don’t get to play on Friday nights the following year. For the NRL, this should also include Thursday nights given a large number of matches in the timeslot over the length of the new broadcast deal.

Hi guys, I live
in NSW Area code 2330, i wish to stream a program on Sunday its at 1:30pm Intrust Super Cup Rugby League game. Can anyone help to so i can watch this game.
Really desperate to see this game because my son plays for Mackay Cutters and we cant get to Mackay so would love to stream this game as its a Channel 9 Game
Please Help

The QRL appears to be streaming on their website this weekend - is it one of these games?

I think that’s a different competition…

I think it is this one.

The live stream link is on this page

http://live.qrl.com.au/match/a0e2bf7daa672f2c8/bd769f7d4c98331eb

Nine’s Sunday NRL game today is coming from the “they used to be our friends” stadium, in a top of the table clash between the Dragons and Storm.

To their credit, Nine have referred to the ground as “WIN Stadium” during the broadcast and not a generic name.

3 Likes

Mat Thompson calling today’s game.

Given Nine’s two other games this week were in QLD, it would have meant Ray Warrem hasn’t called any games this round.

I don’t think I’ve seen that happen before (excluding when he’s been away commentating on the swimming).

So will Rabs travel to Canberra for the Test Match this week or will he visit the home of the male model for the last City vs Country battle (the way things are going Fittler may have to be City Captain/Coach)? Or will he take another weekend off?