NRL on Nine

Indeed.

2 Likes

Good opportunity tonight for Nine to promote the French Open (and Wimbledon and their other sports as well as tease Paris 2024) plus struggling Summit and shows like Today, Nine News and ACA, even for this week.

3 Likes

Bit late to help The Summit with just one episode to go after Wednesday.

2 Likes

Can anyone in these markets confirm that the broadcast EPG has been changed to Women’s SOO in the main channel. I can’t see any changes on-line apart from the media release that was supplied.

2 Likes

As I have looked through my EPG (via Perth schedules), I noticed that the Women’s State of Origin Game 1 will be screened at 5:30 PM (AWST) on 9GEM.

2 Likes

This would have to be a mistake in the press release, there is no way a Women’s Rugby League match would air in primetime in Melbourne - this would be ratings suicide. I’m guessing the PR writer just cut and pasted from the men’s SOO schedule.

I’ve checked the Foxtel EPG for Thursday and Nine Melbourne has RBT, Paramedics and Casualty scheduled.

2 Likes

though I think that with no AFL on that evening, it would have been a good way for Nine to promote women’s rugby league in that market.

But I can understand Nine not wanting to put it on the main channel in Melbourne, as the Storm doesn’t have a women’s team yet.

6 Likes

There was a Storm game that rated just 20k-odd last year in Melbourne on the main channel, imagine this repeated but women’s… Might dip to 4 figures. That’d surely be an all-time OzTam major network prime time low for a large market! Yes, better for exposure/promotion, but not network commercially/performance.

5 Likes

Date or Game?

Tomorrow night 1st June kick off 7.45pm

2 Likes

Besides the likely copy/paste as others have mentioned (…most likely reason tbh), I wonder if there was initial confusion about where the tennis would go too, as that’s being bumped to 9Go! in those states while the football is on. I’m not sure whether that will stick though, depending on how acceptable it is to show Roland-Garros in SD over-the-air for a couple of hours.

1 Like

I think The Front Bar would gain an extra 100k or so viewers, and Nine’s main channel would come around 10th in its timeslot in the market behind several multichannels. There’s just no way they would agree to take the ratings hit - they are almost better off broadcasting test pattern as NRLW has close to zero visibility down here.

2 Likes

Unrivalled Total Television audience of State of Origin delivers a powerful platform for brand engagement

Brands will experience the full power of Nine’s unrivalled Total TV, Total Audio and Total Publishing ecosystem, when Australia’s greatest sporting contest, the State of Origin, kicks off exclusively, live and free on Channel 9 and 9Now 7pm tonight (Wednesday).

Featuring market-leading and innovative live-in-play Total TV opportunities for brands that only Nine can deliver, the State of Origin provides a powerful platform for brands to connect with one of the largest audiences of the year in a premium and engaging environment.

As the NSW Blues and Qld Maroons finalise preparations before going into battle at Adelaide Oval tonight, sponsors and partners of Nine’s broadcast of rugby league’s ultimate showcase can be revealed, with McDonalds, Sportsbet, Telstra, Harvey Norman, Isuzu UTE Australia, Stan, and new sponsor Westpac, leveraging the Wide World of Sports mega marketing platform.

There is no other sporting series in Australia that so dramatically illustrates the power of ‘event streaming’, with last year’s three State of Origin games setting a record for attracting the highest Total TV audience since 2019 and becoming the most-watched live streaming event on 9Now in Australian history.

Creative and captivating brand integration will enhance the broadcast, with Universal Pictures supporting the launch of their new title The Flash via an immersive augmented reality execution created by Nine’s creative solutions division Powered. Westpac will help launch their new sponsorship of Origin and the NSW Blues by bringing their Red Zone integration to Nine’s coverage, helping unpack all of the action from the attacking 20 metres for fans at home.

Macca’s and Westpac will also use the power and scale of State of Origin to launch new brand TVCs, celebrating the power of NRL with Rugby League themed creative.

Viewers will also enjoy more insightful data during play than ever before, with a new broadcast innovation, a live-in-play fatigue alert which captures how players are physically faring in what is a gruelling kick return game.

The Telstra Tracker will return in 2023, with live, in-game statistics drawing on Catapult data to help fans understand insightful individual player data related to speed and intensity.

“The State of Origin series on Channel 9 and 9Now represents the ultimate in exclusive event television. It provides partner brands the preeminent high engagement platform to connect with audiences, supported by Nine’s mega sport marketing assets, spanning TV, Audio and Publishing.” said Matthew Granger, Nine’s Director of Sales – Sport.

Nine’s Head of Content Partnerships – Sport, Anne Gruber, said the State of Origin provides an opportunity for brands to experience the power of sports marketing utilising the prestige of Wide World of Sports.

“The battle for rugby league supremacy goes up another level when the 2023 Men’s and Women’s State of Origin series kick off this week across Nine’s Wide World of Sports cross-media offering. Our partner brands will be right at the heart of it, capitalising on the unrivalled Origin platform to tell their story. Big ideas make brands famous, as does the power of premium sporting content and this year our team of Powered By Nine strategic thinkers have partnered closer than ever before with our sponsors to create world class fan connections and ultimately accelerate business growth.” Gruber said.

Proving Nine is the home of premium sporting fixtures, rugby league fans will get to experience back-to-back nights of NSW and Qld rivalry, with the NRLW State of Origin played from Commbank Stadium screening on Thursday night on Channel 9 and 9Now. Meanwhile, tennis fans can watch the French Open from Roland Garros live and free on 9Gem.

State of Origin I will be broadcast tonight exclusively on Channel 9 and 9Now from 7.00pm AEST.

2 Likes

Thanks Bracey and panel, didn’t want to hear any of The Living End whatsoever

I don’t think that is Nine’s fault, blame the NRL, it’s their promotion.

4 Likes

To be specific, my gripe is having only one song play out in full before spending the rest of the set in ads or with the panel continuing to hype up the game 50 minutes into the pre-game show.

Adds nothing to the broadcast - might as well not bother.

4 Likes

Nothing new. Nine has a habit of having one-hour preview shows for their big Rugby League matches, where they spend maybe 10 minutes max of actual previewing the match. The rest are ads, pre-match entertainment and pre-packaged crap.

1 Like

Why are NSW wearing navy blue (Victoria’s traditional State of Origin colour) tonight? It’s not going to win them many fans in Adelaide…

1 Like

Excellent view of the alternate camera angles including QLD player cam, Spider Cam, and NSW player cam. Using alternate camera angles meant that I don’t need to put up with ad breaks, endless promos of shows or Nine’s Commentary team.

1 Like

Apparently the state hosting the State of Origin is not allowed to see the pre show entertainment on TV.

2 Likes