NRL on Nine

That’s very unfortunate. SA viewers missed out seeing The Living End perform.

3 Likes

How long was it like that for?

A good 15 minutes. It went from 9 news straight to that.

2 Likes

15 minutes of that? Surely they could have aired a pre-packaged segment for South Australia instead?

3 Likes

I wonder if the same message was shown if they had tried to view the pre-match show on 9Now?

2 Likes

The only way preventing the same situation from happening again for game two and three of State of Origin is not to have Joel Caine spruiking the odds during the actual telecast.

3 Likes

Usually that alert is reserved for the non-Eastern states due to the gambling ads from places like Sportsbet and TAB which aren’t allowed to be shown until a certain time.

Interesting to see indeed.

3 Likes

Can’t wait to see the ratings figures if that black screen was on for 15 minutes!

6 Likes

Surely Nine can just black out the Sportsbet segment (about 30 seconds) in SA and not a whole 15 minutes?

2 Likes

They did, they had much of the preshow coverage, just couldn’t show the live betting odds.

2 Likes

This happens every Origin, and I’m amazed that the broadcaster haven’t thought of a way to add something into the coverage to replace this. Even an extra long commercial break is preferable to staring at this for 40 seconds.

1 Like

Nine revealed during half time of tonight’s Origin series opener that a documentary special on Wally Lewis aka The King would be shown on Tuesday night, June 20, the night before game 2 of SOO in Brisbane.

4 Likes

Pretty much this - they’re banned in SA between 16.00 and 19.30 on weekdays, regardless of what is on (with possible plans to expand that - SA’s easily the tightest with regard to this, extending to not authorising a lot of sports betting outright too, such as MMA from memory).

That’d knock out that stuff during most of the pre-show.

2 Likes

4 Likes

Won’t happen. They’re getting money for it.

In NZ you can’t advertise foreign sports betting agencies so it gets covered in a similar way with a slide and music.

5 Likes

And what is it with Adelaide with sports coverage… Seven going to ads when an AFL shot on goal is in progress, Nine blacking out 15 minutes of Origin!

2 Likes

You should blame the SA government for its strict and inflexible rules banning sporting odds in the evening.

2 Likes

Should be commended for the rule and it’s up to the telecaster to come up with an alternate feed or something else. If anyone really wanted to know what odds were on offer (given they’re all pre-recorded anyway) they know where to look.

6 Likes

Is that such a bad thing?

7 Likes

Audio blooper earlier - cross to Darren Lockyer in the locker room but instead we heard Paul Vautin

Fatty: “One of the worst sin bins I’ve ever seen in my life” - oops, but thanks for your honest opinion.

5 Likes