NRL on Nine

How to turn an 80 minute game into 250 minutes of broadcast. And they get huge ratings for the night because people tune in early for the game, not wanting to miss the start, and then just leave their tv on the channel after the game.

5 Likes

It reminds me of how the US networks often use major events for their graphics to change. For example, Super Bowl usually sees new graphics launched and it’s the last thing in the season!

6 Likes

It certainly would have had that feel if it didn’t have the technical audio problems. hahaha.

1 Like

Scoreboard reminds me of Bally Sports regional and Fox Footy’s infobar bugs

1 Like

New Origin graphics carried over for NRL games now too.

8 Likes

As it was mentioned they would by BJT…

2 Likes

I actually like the graphics. The font is a little squished though. Interestingly, the people I live with who are part of the non-Media Spy community who never notice any graphics changes have noticed and are not fans.

5 Likes

Does anyone actually care if Channel NINE broadcast their panel chat from their studio or from the ground under their tent?

for me, there’s a lot of wasted space on that bar and yet the teas are still squished in.

I know Friday Night Footy is the brand, but even the dimmest of wits would know it’s Friday Night and it’s footy we’re watching.

9 Likes

The graphics on the highlights clip at the NRL website and YouTube channel made no mention of Nine or 9Now.

3 Likes

I think broadcasting from the ground adds more credibility to their coverage. But yes, the average viewer probably doesn’t really care too much.

2 Likes

7 Likes

Weird using the news set…

I don’t mind the graphics. I prefer them over the old ones and also the union graphics

2 Likes

Really like the new graphics. The best ones they’ve had in a while. My only major issues with them are the sideways text displayed at times, the wasted 4:3 safe space (it’s 2022, ffs), and it not actually being at the bottom of the screen.

Seems strange to me to launch a new graphics package halfway through the season, though as someone mentioned, it is arguably is their biggest league event of the year so it somewhat makes sense.

This aged like milk.

By that logic, why bother putting any identifying logos on the screen? Any dimwit would know they’ve turned on Channel 9 and it is HD.

2 Likes

I don’t disagree that much with this point given I detest watermarks. But connecting 9 with NRL is important and for WWOS as a brand. Friday Night Footy is not a brand or unique in the slightest.

1 Like

Friday night’s game seemed to be a mix though, with the main caller (Peter Psaltis) at the ground, his co-commentators calling ‘alongside him’ but from the studio in Sydney (Brad Fittler and Phil Gould), then two sideline commentators at the ground (Johnathan Thurston and Danika Mason).

3 Likes

I like the graphics for the most part. The biggest thing I don’t like is that they look asymmetrical. I would like the two scores to be in the centre and the team names to mirror each other. Without getting too much into mock territory, something like this.

8 Likes

Completely agree with your thoughts and have thought the same thing about how they don’t look symmetrical. Your ‘mock’ is perfect.

2 Likes

and also have the time between the scores?

Lol. I honestly wasn’t expecting it and was going off what has been done in the past.