NRL on Nine

During this afternoon’s Manly v Newcastle game, Nine referred to the Dragon’s Wollongong home ground by its current branded name ie. WIN Stadium.

Perhaps it was intentional, but given that Nine’s affiliation with WIN is over and they are now partnered with Southern Cross, I thought they may have looked to not using the WIN name at all, even for stadium names and just something like “in Wollongong”.

1 Like

As a commercial broadcaster you use the name by what it’s commercially known as, whether it’s a rival network or whatever it may be. People outside WIN areas may not know what WIN is

2 Likes

That is usually the case, yes, but given the bad blood between Nine and WIN, you just never know sometimes!

2 Likes

You never know but I highly doubt that will happen though.

1 Like

When I first heard Penrith Stadium being called Pepper Stadium I thought it may be something to do with Peppers guest houses. Much later I found out that Pepper is a finance group. It’s not always obvious what a company sponsor name refers to.

I don’t think Nine are that petty. Now if there was a stadium called Nine Entertainment Co Stadium, I doubt WIN would refer to it as that. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

That ground in Wollongong has been known as “WIN Stadium” for 20 years now. So it would be easy for the commentators to still call it by its name, even if WIN is no longer associated with Nine.

I understand the commentators using “generic names” for stadiums that have had different naming rights for the ground every two or three years.

1 Like

Not to mention WIN Started in Wollongong
WIN Channel 4

W ollongong
I llawarra
N ew South Wales

1 Like

As far as the best NRL game callers, i’d say that Ray Warren, the FOX crew and Matt Thompson are the best, but the NZ crew of Glen Lamar and Daryl Hallgain are in between the FOX guys and Thompson.

Nice touch by Nine to have the score graphics in purple background celebrating the Women in League round this week. Ray Hadley called tonight’s match in Wollongong.

1 Like

Nine is doing pre game for Warriors vs Eels (which is being played in Auckland) from the Sydney studio.

Which I pretty much expected, but they usually do pre game at the ground when played in Australia which looks SO much better.

Nine may as well just cheap out and take the Sky Sports NZ commentators and graphics just like Fox Sports do. Just seems strange Nine not sending a full production crew over to NZ presumably to save money but then still sending commentators over there and doing their own graphics.

2 Likes

Next week’s NRL finals fixture:
Friday: elimination final, Broncos v Titans (7.55pm)
Saturday: qualifying finals:
Raiders v Sharks (5.35pm)
Storm v Cowboys (7.55pm)
Sunday: elimination final: Panthers v Bulldogs (4.10pm)

would that mean no news into Sydney and Brisbane on the Saturday

Sydney and Brisbane will have Nine News at 4.30pm.

1 Like

As posted in the Nine program thread earlier this week

Unlike Ten, Nine isn’t a network which doesn’t air news bulletins at all in key markets due to sports coverage.

As others have mentioned, Nine News Sydney, Nine News Queensland and NBN News in Northern NSW/Gold Coast will air at 4.30pm next Saturday.

4 Likes

Even on GEM in AFL Markets.

Will the Storm game be on Nine or GEM? Sometimes finals are shown on the main channel.

9Gem, by the looks of the guide so far.

Nine News: First At Five is still in the schedule for the main channel for VIC, I’m guessing SA + WA too