NRL on Nine

New Melbourne schedule for Saturday 10 September

06.00pm News (listed for 90 minutes)
07.30 pm NRL - Storm v Cowboys

1 Like

Iā€™m guessing thatā€™s for the main channel?

If so, Iā€™m sure that Storm fans in Melbourne without Foxtel will be glad to know that theyā€™ll be able to see the match in HD!

Thanks Cynic!

Good to see Nine being logical with their HD strategy, makes this Storm fan relatively happy (more games on FTA next year though please!)

4 Likes

Thatā€™s what they did with the Four Nations a couple of years ago. (Other than the final)

Isnā€™t it the same reason why most broadcasters just take the host broadcasterā€™s feed? Same with the World Club Series from Sky UK

Just saw a promo tonight during an ad break for Footy Classified and the promo still said the match would be on 9Gem. So I donā€™t know who to believe.

As previously posted the 7.30pm Melbourne Storm v North Queensland Cowboys will be shown on the main channel in Melbourne. RBT has now been added in the 7.00pm timeslot.

The earlier 5pm 2nd Qualifying Final - Canberra Raiders v Cronulla Sharks will be shown on GEM.

Source: Channel 9

Edit: This schedule can also be seen at Nine.com.au Saturday's TV Guide - All TV Show times, All Channels - 9Entertainment

3 Likes

It will be interesting to see how it rates up against the AFL on 7 (Crows vs Kangaroos).

The AFL will win, but hopefully the NRL final on Nine will still be competitive in Melbourne.

NRL Finals in glorious standard definition in AFL states. Why canā€™t 9 flick a switch and simulcast 9Gem as 9HD when the NRL is on and revert to the main channel during non-NRL programming.

Only a few would care, as those in AFL states would prefer AFL over NRL.

2 Likes

And vice versa in NRL states

1 Like

At the least the one final Victorians care about (Storm v Cowboys) will be in HD.

Nine Melbourne just ran an ad during the AFL Footy Show advertising ā€œevery final live on 9HDā€. The game times for each of the 4 NRL finals this weekend were mentioned with the 9HD logo on screen, no mention of GEM. Not sure if this ad ran by mistake, or if the NRL have pressured Nine into airing all games in HD?

This was sent through by Nine just now - they donā€™t seem to know what is showing on their own network as the Saturday night game is on the main channel in Melbourne according to their own TV schedule.

BROADCAST TIMES

Friday 9 September

Brisbane Broncos vs Gold Coast Titans

Sydney 7.30pm LIVE on Nine
Brisbane 7.30pm LIVE on Nine
Melbourne 7.30pm LIVE on 9GEM
Adelaide 7.00pm LIVE on 9GEM
Perth 5.30pm LIVE on 9GEM

Saturday 10 September

Canberra Raiders vs Cronulla Sharks

Sydney 5.00pm LIVE on Nine
Brisbane 5.00pm LIVE on Nine
Melbourne 5.00pm LIVE on 9GEM
Adelaide 4.30pm LIVE on 9GEM
Perth 3.00pm LIVE on 9GEM

Melbourne Storm vs North Queensland Cowboys

Sydney 7.30pm LIVE on Nine
Brisbane 7.30pm LIVE on Nine
Melbourne 7.30pm LIVE on 9GEM <-- this is wrong
Adelaide 7.00pm LIVE on 9GEM
Perth 5.30pm LIVE on 9GEM

Sunday 11 September

Penrith Panthers vs Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs

Sydney 3.30pm LIVE on Nine
Brisbane 3.30pm LIVE on Nine
Melbourne 3.30pm LIVE on 9GEM
Adelaide 3.00pm LIVE on 9GEM
Perth 1.30pm LIVE on 9GEM

Check local guides for details

Am surprised about the Storm game is not airing on Nine in Melbourne on Saturday night. I understand the other three games being on Gem there, but not the Storm game. What are Nine airing on Saturday night in Melbourne? Another often repeated movie?

The game is on Nineā€™s main channel in Melbourne - as I mentioned above, the schedule they sent is wrong.

Apologies from my end. Teaches me to read the whole thing the next time, rather than to skim through. Oops. lol

Odd that Nine never mentions the NRL times for Darwin, a station which they own.

1 Like

No worries - I have highlighted it now.

1 Like

Itā€™s a bit of historical anomaly that they bought it in the first place. I wonder what Packer was thinking at the time. Maybe it was the only way they could buy a station and stay under the then more restrictive reach rule?

Looks like Matt Thompson is in Canberra- was looking at 9WWOS account on Twitter and he is there. Sterlo is there too.