NRL on Nine

“Prime time” is 6pm-11:59pm (correct me if I’m wrong) so overall share shouldn’t be affected if Nine starts SoO coverage at 6:30 or 7pm with kick-off at 7:30pm ???

What I mean is they have their tent poles of the ratings proven 90 min news block so they’d have to cut into that in some way and they’d lose some of that benefit. (A combined 90 min news block + one hour build up + game + post match is a stronger overall line up than 30/60 mins news + build up + game + post match)

Why would you think Nine would give up their 90 minute news block for Origin? they don’t do that when a NZ home game starts at 8:30 NZT so why do it for Origin?

I don’t think they really care what New Zealand has to do. But they may be persuaded to change Origin.

Conversely, viewers that usually watch Seven News that also want to watch Origin may be persuaded to switch to Nine to watch Origin from 6.30pm or 7pm.

And I agree with NRL CEO Todd Greenberg that the late kick offs are having some impact on ratings, so I don’t think Nine will be any worse off overall from screening Origins earlier.

While I know it will never happen because the timing of State Of Origin is pretty much made for TV (held on Wednesday nights in Winter, enough said really), personally I would also like to see Origin played on consecutive weekends outside of the regular NRL season…

2 Likes

7pm start for Origin pre-match, 7.30pm or 7.40pm kickoff, coverage finishing at 10pm - perfect.
Ten should be worried about the impact Origin’s early start will have on MasterChef. At the moment the match starts at 8.20pm, so people in eastern states can watch MC until it finishes at 8.45pm and they will only have missed half of the first period of the match. The 7.30pm kickoff however means the match will directly clash with MC in all states except WA.

oh FFS.

NBC’s flagship Sunday Night Football goes global at 8.20pm with kickoff around 8.25 and runs approx 3 hours… and they have no problems with audience. If kids can’t stay up until 10, bad bloody luck.

3 Likes

America is not a nanny state like us!

I bet their TV channels don’t go around telling parents that it’s time to put the kids to bed :smiley:

1 Like

Not to mention that for whatever reason, much of the Australian population tends to go to bed earlier than other countries from what I’ve heard…

1 Like

Seems to be a recent trend in this country (not just tv related ether) , which is concerning.

How realistically is the prospect of an Origin game at Eden Park. I have no doubt that they would fill the place but it’s the time differnce that’s the killer.

From 2018 onwards, the second Origin game will be played on a Sunday night in order to reduce the reduction to the regular season. That seems to me like the only possible way Origin could be held in NZ since a 6:30pm/7pm AEST kickoff would be 8:30pm/9pm NZT which could work.

America also allows the purchase of semi-automatic assault rifles.

2 Likes

People going to bed earlier is a bad thing? By what metric?

I have things to do during the day. It’s more important I’m awake earlier.

sure thing, but if you cannot explain to me how that fits this thread, I’ll shoot you! :stuck_out_tongue:

I just figured we were all saying things that are irrelevant. :wink:

1 Like

Ray Hadley is commentating tonight’s Roosters v Broncos game!!

Where is Mat Thompson or Ray Warren?

I though Hadley had given up calling on Nine to focus on his radio commitments?

Still contracted, I dare so he has a minimal amount of games to call

From a tv point of view, there’s nothing on after 9.30 anymore.

I don’t think anything has changed there. Without the 2 Friday games, there isn’t much opportunity for Hadley to call anymore.

Hadley confirmed for next Thursday Dragons v Broncos