NRL on Nine

Twas just an idea. :slight_smile:

Of course, 9 years is a long time, especially when heā€™s hosted 200 plus eps of NRL 360 and become more accustomed to broadcasting.

Although, iirc he walked from Nine didnā€™t he?

From memory, Ben Ikin was sacked from Nine under controversial circumstances in 2009ā€¦

Na he walked after ACA did a story on his dadā€™s business.

1 Like

Sterlo only hosts a weekly show for Fox Sports. You would think if it was possible, they would love to have him as a ā€˜full timeā€™ member of their NRL team

1 Like

Under their NRL contract is Nine required to do a national broadcast? If they are, and come Friday they canā€™t if Nine hasnā€™t done an affiliation deal for the missing areas, I wonder what the NRL is able to do?

1 Like

Not much I am guessing.

Even last year, I think NRL games were relegated to late night coverage on 9Gem, which the NRL wouldnā€™t have been happy with, but I guess weā€™re unable to do anything about it,

But certainly in an area like Griffith, where league is still popular, ā€œpeople powerā€ should be enough to ensure the game remains available on terrestrial TV. Not so much other markets like Mildura though, where the AFL is king

The NRL yesterday announced the fixture for the final six rounds of the 2016 season (you can see it at the leagueā€™s website). Cronulla, which is currently on top of the ladder, is the biggest loser with no FTA coverage in the period, plus having to play on Monday night then backing up for a Saturday night game on two occasions (Round 21 and 22, and Round 24 and 25). Melbourne and NZ Warriors will each feature on a Channel Nine game, in Round 25 and 26 respectively (the Warriorsā€™ home clash against the Eels will be Nineā€™s final home and away game of the season).

Why would the Sharks not feature on Nine? also, the Warrios-Eels game starts at 6pm NZT due to Nine?

The Warriors-Eels game will indeed start at 6pm NZT as it is Nineā€™s Sunday game. Not sure why Nine snubbed the Sharks until the finals though.

I thought NRL took back control the scheduling

Is that something you have worked out or was it posted elsewhere?

I thought under the new 2016 agreement the last 5 or 6 Saturday night games were to be shown on Nine in the lead up to the finals, though I admit Iā€™m not up to speed on how the deal works. Cronulla are in 3 of those Saturday night games - round 23, 25 and 26.

Triple m said the other day 9 get no Saturday games this season. So who knows.

It is originally from The Daily Telegraph (paywall) today. Cronulla will not play a Thursday, Friday or Sunday 4pm match in the last six rounds.

A quite frankly ludicrous decision. The Eels will have been stripped of their points by then and who knows where the Warriors will be. Should have gone with a better game.

1 Like

I agreeā€¦

Storm vs Sharks in the final round would have been a cracker to show on FTA. Possibly a game that decides the minor premiership. Canā€™t believe Nine arenā€™t showing that at all.

1 Like

I was also under that impression.

Edit: Starts next year.

1 Like

As a Knights supporter Iā€™m please that we have a couple more game on Free To Air but am rather surprised to be honest. I may have one red eye and one blue eye but even I have to admit weā€™ve been dog shit this year.

No, that rule only applies to cricket AFAIK.

News Corp reports NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg will ask Nine in a meeting next week to start State of Origin matches at 7.30pm AEST after a huge drop in audiences over the past 2 years. In the past few years SOO had kicked off at around 8.20pm AEST and finished after 10pm, so it could boost Nineā€™s primetime ratings, but it was too late for some young families. However, any change will only take place from next year, as the next SOO clash in Sydney will start at 8.20pm under the current broadcast deal.

This has to happen. Nine is turning off the next generation of Origin fans (and perhaps players) by starting it so late.

Start build up at 6:30AEST if you must, schedule ACA in AFL states and away you go. Nine will be concerned that their overall share for the night will drop obviously but some smart post-match programming should counter that.

1 Like