NRL on Nine

NRL 2019

Next Thursday, March 14, NRL on Nine returns with the biggest year of rugby league coverage yet, taking viewers closer to the action than ever.

Featuring more live NRL programming across Nine and 9Now, footy fans around the country can get more of the action they love and the best expert analysis and opinions from the top commentary lineup in Australian sport.

Joining the commentary team in 2019 are three former superstar players: Billy Slater , arguably the greatest fullback of all time; the man widely considered to be a future Immortal, Johnathan Thurston ; and premiership winner, Origin and Kangaroos representative, Sam Thaiday .

Nine is unveiling three new rugby league programs in 2019. The first two, Thursday Night Golden Point and Friday Night Knock Off , are the post-game shows that will follow Macca’s Thursday Night Footy and VB Friday Night Footy .

Each week these two programs will explore the biggest stories from the biggest games, with insight from some of the best brains in rugby league, delivered with entertainment and humour. Viewers will get unprecedented, behind-the-scenes access to players and coaches around the grounds and in the sheds, offering an inside look at the pain and glory that comes with the toughest game of all.

The third new program, Sunday Kick Off , will give viewers all the last-minute news and updates they need every Sunday afternoon at 3.00pm AEDT ahead of Sunday Footy at 4.00pm AEDT – part of seven hours of straight NRL coverage every Sunday. This includes the returning Sunday Footy Show , along with the Canterbury Cup NSW and Intrust Super Cup (shown in NSW and Queensland respectively) which will showcase the next generation of NRL stars.

Also returning to get every week off to the right start is the round-table panel show, 100% Footy , where the experts debate the hottest topics in the game from every angle.

The 2019 season will kick off with the 2018 Grand Finalists, Melbourne Storm, playing the Brisbane Broncos at AAMI Park in Melbourne on Macca’s Thursday Night Footy , live on Thursday, March 14, from 7.30pm AEDT . The next night, the Sydney Roosters, reigning premiers, take on their arch rivals, the South Sydney Rabbitohs, when rugby league returns to the Sydney Cricket Ground for VB Friday Night Footy .

The State of Origin juggernaut returns exclusively to Nine this year, bringing all the heart-stopping action of state against state, mate versus mate.

And a brand new programming concept will debut this season: Magic Round in round nine, when all 16 NRL teams converge on Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane to do battle over four exhilarating days.

It promises to be another bumper year in the NRL, after 2018 provided the closest season in history – and Nine promises to bring fans even closer to the action with the greatest sporting innovations to match its ace commentary lineup.

2 Likes

WEEKLY PROGRAMMING IN 2019

100% Footy

Mondays from 10.00pm AEDT on Nine
Panel members: James Bracey, Phil Gould, Paul Gallen, plus weekly guests and the best rugby league journalists

Sydney 10.00pm on Nine
Brisbane 9.00pm on Nine
Melbourne 10.00pm on 9GEM
Adelaide 9.30pm on 9GEM
Perth 7.00pm on 9GEM

Macca’s Thursday Night Footy

Thursdays from 7.30pm AEDT on Nine
Host and commentators: James Bracey, Andrew Johns, Paul Vautin, Billy Slater, Ruan Sims, Johnathan Thurston, Danika Mason, Brad Fittler, Mat Thompson

Sydney 7.30pm on Nine
Brisbane 6.30pm on Nine
Melbourne 7.30pm on 9GEM
Adelaide 7.00pm on 9GEM
Perth 4.30pm on 9GEM

Thursday Night Golden Point

Thursdays following Macca’s Thursday Night Footy on Nine
Host and commentators: James Bracey, Johnathan Thurston, Billy Slater, Paul Vautin

VB Friday Night Footy

Fridays from 7.30pm AEDT on Nine
Host and commentators: Erin Molan, Ray Warren, Phil Gould, Andrew Johns, Brad Fittler, Billy Slater, Sam Thaiday

Sydney 7.30pm on Nine
Brisbane 6.30pm on Nine
Melbourne 7.30pm on 9GEM
Adelaide 7.00pm on 9GEM
Perth 4.30pm on 9GEM

Friday Night Knock Off

Fridays following VB Friday Night Footy on Nine
Host and commentators: Erin Molan, Billy Slater, Sam Thaiday, Brad Fittler

The Sunday Footy Show

Sundays from 11.00pm AEDT on Nine
Panel members: Erin Molan, Peter Sterling, Brad Fittler, plus weekly guests

Sydney 11.00am on Nine
Brisbane 10.00am on Nine
Melbourne 11.00am on 9GEM
Adelaide 10.30am on 9GEM
Perth 8.00am on 9GEM

Canterbury Cup NSW/Intrust Super Cup QLD

Sundays from 1.00pm AEDT on Nine
Host and commentators: Peter Psaltis (NSW), Jamie Soward (NSW), Danika Mason (NSW), Scott Sattler (QLD), Mark Braybrook (QLD)

Sydney 1.00pm on Nine
Brisbane 12.00pm on Nine
Melbourne 1.00pm on 9GEM
Adelaide 12:30pm on 9GEM
Perth 10.00am on 9GEM

Sunday Kick Off

Sundays from 3.00pm AEDT on Nine
Host and commentators: James Bracey, Andrew Johns, Allana Ferguson, Darren Lockyer, Ruan Sims

Sydney 3.00pm on Nine
Brisbane 2.00pm on Nine
Melbourne 3.00pm on 9GEM
Adelaide 2:30pm on 9GEM
Perth 12.00pm on 9GEM

Sunday Footy

Sundays from 4.00pm AEDT on Nine
Host and commentators: James Bracey, Andrew Johns, Allana Ferguson, Peter Sterling, Darren Lockyer, Ruan Sims, Brad Fittler, Mat Thompson

Sydney 4.00pm on Nine
Brisbane 3.00pm on Nine
Melbourne 4.00pm on 9GEM
Adelaide 3:30pm on 9GEM
Perth 1.00pm on 9GEM

1 Like

Yeah, it’s an overreaction. Apologies to yesterday as my family members had a massive arguments and I felt really stressed that arvo.

Note: The times listed above for Brisbane don’t look correct.

Thursday and Friday the games start at 7pm and I doubt Bad Mothers will be bumped on Mondays for 100% Footy!

Kickoff for the first two Thurs/Fri games is scheduled to be 6:50 and 6:55 AEST respectively, so a 6:30 start would allow for a shorter pre-game show in place of the second half of Nine News.

Doubt that 100% Footy would be live into all states though - no reason why Perth would replace half of Antiques Roadshow for an NRL panel show!

3 Likes

The schedule has been posted for next week at the NRL: starts at 7pm in Brisbane.

1 Like

Go about 5 posts above where you posted this info to where I posted this info. Not sure why we need the duplication?

Will Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth get NSW Cup or Intrust Super Cup Qld every week, or on alternate weeks?

Probably get neither, instead putting up with Crocmedia time buys and other programming.

1 Like

@stmookeyj027

These two don’t match up, thought @JohnsonTV 's question was perfectly fair. I’d hate to hazard a guess, not really sure who will get what.
Better set up than previous years of delayed Sun Footy Show into live stuff at 3pm.

3 Likes

Also, I think Nine may have got the wrong sponsor name of NSW Cup. According to NSWRL website, the tournament is still called Intrust Super Premiership.

Seven have been doing a post game after Friday and Saturday night AFL ending after 11:30pm and 11pm eastern respectively since 2012.

They also have stadium backdrops, with the floodlights going off after a while which makes it better so you can’t see anything.

So I personally don’t see a big issue. And if there’s enough content for discussion, press conferences, etc.

Though Nine don’t use a studio do they from what I’ve seen, opting to situate their desk up in the stands, so perhaps more obvious.

Do NSW and QLD get live telecasts of the VFL, WAFL or SANFL on FTA TV? Why would anyone outside of NSW/QLD want to watch the state based RL competitions?

The ABC used to show out-of-state local footy competitions in the dead of the night on ABC2, right?

1 Like

I agree, streaming is sufficient for the number of people who would watch state based competitions from interstate.

1 Like

3 Likes

JT Thurston looks very excited about NRL back on Nine. WIll be turbocharged season.

Yeah cos we need another replay of some 30 year old show instead. I don’t know why live sport isn’t shown nationwide, thought that was part of why multichannels came About?

Showing coverage of the major national football leagues on multichannels in the minority states? Yeah, that’s fair enough.

But surely only about 12 people outside of the relevant markets (well I’m probably exaggerating, but you get the idea - extremely niche content) really care about the state football leagues?

Yeah, that is probably the case but I’d rather see that than sitting through an umpteenth repeat of My Favourite Martian or Mad about You etc.

1 Like