NRL Free To Air TV Rights 2023-2027 (Nine)

Not sure how that’s news (not criticizing you Johnson for posting it) - of course Sneesby would say that

2 Likes

Because of Nine/Stan’s telecast of rugby union - how the network can manage decent coverage of two rugby sports simultaneously.

2 Likes

Nine has managed to cover multiple sports at the same time before, as has Seven. I don’t understand why you think Nine can’t do it now.

7 Likes

It appears that Nine is negotiating to extend their contract with the NRL (?), according to The Australian.

From ($):
https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-clubs-agitated-by-salary-cap-email/

5 Likes

That’s a shame

1 Like

Just an aside, Sky NZ have retained the rights, holding off Spark Sport. The current arrangement was due to end after the 2022 season.

6 Likes

What’s Sky’s current free to air coverage like of the NRL. Is it just delayed Warriors games?

I wonder if any of the increased coverage will be live

Delayed via Prime I think.

They recently had State of origin game 1 on Three after striking a deal with Discovery so I wonder if there’s scope for that to grow under the new deal.

According to The Sunday Telegraph’s Phil Rothfield, the new rights deal with Sky NZ is worth more than A$160 million over five years, compared with the current deal which is worth $94 million.

6 Likes

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-expansion-second-brisbane-team-for-2023-season-hangs-in-the-balance/news-story/7119d102970705112c53986c10644333

Buried in this article is that it’s believed that the NRL is close to closing a deal with nine for 2023 and beyond. It seems they’re not going to market for these free to air rights.

So it seems this deal will take it through to 2027 and long with the expiry of the rights with Fox.

6 Likes

Seven and 10’s current honorous contracts would also have made things challenging I’d say too.

Good for Nine, not so good for viewers.

Heaven help us if Ray Warren cements his position as the Bob Rogers of Australian sports broadcasting by continuing to call NRL matches on Nine (at least for the big ones like Origin & Finals) until 2027!

3 Likes

Would you like a second go?

3 Likes

On one hand, it’s curious that the NRL didn’t go to the market to a) See if Seven and/or 10 might be interested in the rights and b) Keep Nine honest in terms of how much they would have to pay to maintain the rights.

On the other hand, the league really boxed themselves in when they did the long-term extension with Fox last year in terms of the FTA component of the rights. That might prove to be a bad strategic mistake considering (by contrast) the AFL will be able to go to market in 2024 with their full set of rights and capitalize on any changes in the broadcast landscape (eg; Amazon, Stan Sport, Paramount+, etc establishing themselves by then as significant, long-term players for sports rights).

4 Likes

Do you mean onerous? I know seven have many of these onerous sports deals but what does 10 have?

Perhaps they aren’t going for externals just yet given they can’t offer non-simulcast rights until 2027. 10 probably not interested in simulcasting games with fox. You really need to get FTA and streaming rights to be able to monetize and profit off the high rights fees.

4 Likes

reminds me of Billy Brownless trying to say Wrinkliest:

4 Likes

And his sure showed when he went down the slide the other week :wink:

Yeah that’s the one

Melbourne cup is way over what it’s worth.

2 Likes

Football (A/W/Y-Leagues, FFA Cups, Internationals, etc.).

1 Like

Yeah I was getting at Melbourne Cup and also now soccer.

And besides, as for major sports (the cup not included as it was done by previous management/ before their strategy change) haven’t 10 virtually walked away? Assuming soccer was a Paramount Plus play - did catch many off guard I think.