NRL Free To Air TV Rights 2023-2027 (Nine)

People would soon learn. Give the Australian public some credit.

5 Likes

Like I said, if won’t work. Seven will clash with AFL, and nobody wants to see NRL on a multi channel in Sydney/Brisbane.

1 Like

Exactly. If the entire nation can get used to a different channel for cricket & tennis after four decades or so, then I’m sure a predominately NSW/QLD audience will get used to the idea of a new home for rugby league after three decades or so.

5 Likes

Pretty sure that in that case NRL would be on the main channel in NSW/QLD and AFL on the multichannel. Vice versa in VIC/SA/WA.

7 Likes

Why wouldn’t it not work? Why cant they just NRL live in QLD and NSW and show AFL in the rest of the states while showing the NRL on one of the sub-channels. Yes there would be a clash but there is still a work around. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

New Nine Entertainment CEO Mike Sneesby, a keen rugby league fan, has told The Sunday Telegraph’s Phil Rothfield that the company is still interested in retaining the NRL broadcast rights.

NRL have been valued partners of Nine for over 30 years. I’m looking forward to the opportunity to work with them on our next rights deal.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/saint-sinner-shoosh-peter-vlandys-and-gil-mclachlan-meet-at-randwick-races/news-story/d9124576a0cbd3b23155f56daeca5c5d

6 Likes

Isn’t it all black and white?

AFL has extended with Seven and Fox, so years still to run. So therefore no AFL for Nine and Seven still have financial issues so can’t afford NRL on top of.

10 are not going after sport and who knows if they’ll still be on air soon.

So it has to be Nine, still.

Only way things might change is if Nine want out of NRL, which is the vibe that seemed to be developing, at least until Hugh Marks and Co left the building. That might’ve reverted now though with Sneesby, as well as Seven having extended AFL.

Just my two cents. Thoughts?

4 Likes

I know it probably will never happen but I desperately want 10 to snatch a major sport whether it be AFL, NRL or cricket. When I mean snatch I mean against the FTA networks.

Seven could dump the cricket in favour of NRL, so who knows :man_shrugging:

In return for cricket to 9?

1 Like

Not sure how that’s news (not criticizing you Johnson for posting it) - of course Sneesby would say that

2 Likes

Because of Nine/Stan’s telecast of rugby union - how the network can manage decent coverage of two rugby sports simultaneously.

2 Likes

Nine has managed to cover multiple sports at the same time before, as has Seven. I don’t understand why you think Nine can’t do it now.

7 Likes

It appears that Nine is negotiating to extend their contract with the NRL (?), according to The Australian.

From ($):
https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-clubs-agitated-by-salary-cap-email/

5 Likes

That’s a shame

1 Like

Just an aside, Sky NZ have retained the rights, holding off Spark Sport. The current arrangement was due to end after the 2022 season.

6 Likes

What’s Sky’s current free to air coverage like of the NRL. Is it just delayed Warriors games?

I wonder if any of the increased coverage will be live

Delayed via Prime I think.

They recently had State of origin game 1 on Three after striking a deal with Discovery so I wonder if there’s scope for that to grow under the new deal.

According to The Sunday Telegraph’s Phil Rothfield, the new rights deal with Sky NZ is worth more than A$160 million over five years, compared with the current deal which is worth $94 million.

6 Likes

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-expansion-second-brisbane-team-for-2023-season-hangs-in-the-balance/news-story/7119d102970705112c53986c10644333

Buried in this article is that it’s believed that the NRL is close to closing a deal with nine for 2023 and beyond. It seems they’re not going to market for these free to air rights.

So it seems this deal will take it through to 2027 and long with the expiry of the rights with Fox.

6 Likes

Seven and 10’s current honorous contracts would also have made things challenging I’d say too.

Good for Nine, not so good for viewers.

Heaven help us if Ray Warren cements his position as the Bob Rogers of Australian sports broadcasting by continuing to call NRL matches on Nine (at least for the big ones like Origin & Finals) until 2027!

3 Likes