NRL Broadcast Rights (2027-?)

I can’t believe I’m opening this thread now, but here we are.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-2023-channel-7-launch-secret-150m-bid-to-steal-state-of-origin-series-from-9-video/news-story/20a84060bf14b11cad2c28ff9c066a6a

Seven wants to launch a joint bid with pay TV giants Foxtel to simulcast the three games on Seven, Fox League, Kayo and 7plus streaming service to potentially deliver a series audience of more than 10 million.

It would be in the vicinity of $30 million a year ($10 million per game) over five seasons.

Channel 7 is also expected to pitch to broadcast a Sunday afternoon NRL game when the NRL opens its next TV rights negotiations, most likely in 2025.

6 Likes

Most likely to align with its current AFL deal.

Thursday Night
Friday Night
Saturday Afternoon

I can’t see Nine letting these go easily.
10 needs to change it’s busy model and potential partner with another broadcaster to obtain any sport in this country.

6 Likes

I think you’ve misread.

Its just Origin they are talking about.

2 Likes

How, there wouldn’t be anyone who doesn’t watch it now who would watch it just because it’s on Seven or Fox now!?

1 Like

With a Sunday afternoon game.

4 Likes

You underestimate the pettiness of some of the Seven/Nine fans here…but I do agree haha.

4 Likes

Don’t have DT so would the deal be just simulcasting Fox’s coverage? And why would they just want Sunday?

1 Like

FTA and Foxtel showing State of Origin live at the same time is a bad idea. Didn’t they notice the enormous ratings Nine’s exclusive telecast has been generating?

6 Likes

Can’t read the article.

1 Like

If its the only way for 7 to get Origin then they’ll do it.

5 Likes

Am I reading that correct, separate deals? As in the Sunday game (if that’s correct and they’re successful) would be within the next NRL H&A including Finals/GF contract rather than SOO. Or is SOO and NRL combined contract? Assuming Nine will still want/have NRL.

I’m gathering Seven will be otherwise unable to afford SOO going in alone?

3 Likes

Isn’t a Saturday night game a better option for 7 since in the new AFL deal they won’t be airing any game on a Saturday until R16 unless it’s a marquee match like ANZAC, Dreamtime etc?

2 Likes

That is not clarified.

Great contribution, thanks.

I’d guess they want the news lead in on a Sunday evening.

5 Likes

Maybe they’re thinking Saturday FTA (already now but certainly by then) a lost cause and that Foxtel will still not budge on their Saturday exclusivity? Especially if Nine still in the frame. Sunday lead-in to prime time makes sense IMO.

4 Likes

This year’s SOO origin series delivered an average 9.23 million. Hard to see where an extra 750,000 viewers are going to come from.

4 Likes

I thought someone may be able to share an extract or something some other way. No need for the rudeness mate.

3 Likes

I did share an extract of the key points in the original post, as much as we usually share of paywalled articles.

Just posting that you can’t read it doesn’t really add a lot to the conversation. I suspect many would be in the same point, but that’s paywalls. Some can and some can’t :man_shrugging:

Sorry if you took it rudely, is there anything you want to know from the article that I might be able to paraphrase?

2 Likes

Thanks

1 Like

No thanks. I don’t know what I haven’t read.

2 Likes

The Sunday game bid seems similar to Nine’s Thursday Night AFL bid last year, a small enough bid that the league would want another free to air partner to make it work, but neither of the other free to air networks would work around it.

As for Origin, I wonder how much value that’d be to Foxtel, not sure many extra people would sign up just for a simulcast of 3 matches.

3 Likes