Nova Network

There’s a local shift (I think 6-10am) on weekends in Melbourne hosted by Troy Ellis, which is something I guess. Still not used to hearing him on Nova, but that’s another story.

Sydney get Troy too.

1 Like

That seems to be the understanding of history that I’ve followed: the Nova model was profitable right up until 2008, when advertisers weren’t prepared to pay/couldn’t afford Nova’s premium rates.

I seem to recall that Fox started to put less emphasis on their ‘Ad Free 50s’ around this time too, which given the economic climate makes sense.

Shocking how Nova Ent is normalising networking everything but breakfast now. So depressing, their breaks suck now.

3 Likes

I’ve seriously stopped listening to them over the past few weeks.
I have tried Jase and PJ on KIIS and I love their show now.
I’ve found myself listening to Fox during the day and drive home.

Keegs and Aaron Rich are some of the best music jocks in the business. They are far better than most at bringing life, energy and relevance to what most consider to be just back announcing songs.

4 Likes

Aren’t they both ex-nova…?

I believe Aaron moved from Nova to Fox in 2015. Keegs I don’t think is former Nova

2 Likes

Unless I’m thinking of another presenter (which is quite possible), wasn’t Keegs previously at KIIS (Sydney and later Melbourne) before moving to SCA and Fox FM?

I believe Keegs moved from hit92.9 in Perth to Fox in 2012 to replace Tim Lee. He was also at Star FM in Bendigo at one stage too, then Fox before moving to hit92.9.

2 Likes

Simon Baggs? Was 9-3 at KIIS Sydney, then jumped to KIIS Melbourne as breakfast anchor. Now at hit106.9 Newcastle (via Nova)

1 Like

Ahh, so that’s who I was thinking of. Thanks for the clarification! :slight_smile:

Not sure his career trajectory is on course.

1 Like

Certainly an odd case.

Gold Coast breakfast > Sydney mornings/afternoons > Melbourne breakfast anchor > National nights (Nova) > Newcastle breakfast

Simon anchors the breakfast show, does a stack of community events - the most recent one http://radiotoday.com.au/hit1069-breakfast-raise-50k/ - and is adored by staff and listeners.

He’s a top bloke, a super colleague and a real pleasure to call a mate.

So no matter where he’s worked before - their loss, our gain :slight_smile:

I wouldn’t have thought so. Just an announcer past their time at a city station. Plenty of other examples of ‘fall from grace’ announcers around the country.
Doesn’t make them a bad announcer, just one that doesn’t fit into a city station any more

You’ve not looked at any detail to what Baggs has done in his life? Lots more than radio, often those other pursuits have taken his radio career elsewhere too.

1 Like

Back to Throwbacks this morning kicking off Fitzy and Wippa.

So I thought they had dropped the Friday Feels idea (which is an awful concept) but seems the next song is labelled as such. And doesn’t even make sense because it’s just one of the overplayed, often repeated songs on their playlist.

1 Like

Nova 96.9 Friday Feels is very half arsed!! They announce Friday Feels even if it is a regular song on their playlist.

The last time I heard Friday Feels on Nova 106.9 they announced it before they played a song that does not get regulary appear on their playlist. So it was cool.

How can Brisbane do it so well and then Sydney do it so badly considering Sydney is the headoffice. Where all the network programmers are based???

1 Like

It makes no sense. It’s a farce. As time goes on, they’re making me hate the station more and more.

I’m actually listening to KIIS more and more as a result. They still have a lot of shit on their playlist like remixes, certain old tracks and a few artists like Pink that get repeated way more than they should. But I actually prefer the wider variety of current music and recent hits on KIIS. Then they play an annoying Kyle & Jackie O promo with a fake American accent and I’m reaching for the dial again. :laughing:

2 Likes