Nova Network

I think it’s being implied that Kate didn’t want to return to those hours. And besides, four people would be too many.

4 Likes

This reminds of the sacking of Paddy and Sarah at the old 2GO, it too was handled extremely badly and the station took a massive hit in the next survey.

I think when Nova makes the announcement of the changes to the breakfast show the real backlash will begin. Nova will be deleting social media comments.

1 Like

Talking about them for the wrong reasons though which is not a good thing. Nova management have learnt nothing from the past. When Rosso left the Merrick & Rosso, ratings took a dive and everyting they tried in the next two years was a flop.

They’re hoping that a shake up with Kate replacing Sarah will boost the breakfast show. However, listeners didnt have a pronlem with Sarah and she had a good dynamic with Fitzy and Wippa. She was very open and shared a lot about her personal life which was something listeners connected with.

Kate is the opposite of that. She is more private about her life and often told her co-hosts she didn’t want to talk about many subjects such as her family and famous friends. It’s going to be a lot more awkward now that we know she’s been in rehab and had an alcohol problem. There will be so many subjects that they will have to avoid which will surely make the show feel difficult or awkward.

4 Likes

If she is going to be relatable to the audience I think she will have to be more open otherwise it is just won’t work.

I think it is also going to be difficult for Fitzy & Wippa too after what management did to their good friend.

I think it will be very awkward for a while.

4 Likes

This is incorrect. I think only Kate was sick of Marty by the end of KTM.
There were rumours Fifi and Marty couldn’t look at each other on air during the last few months of The Shebang, however this was mainly due to the combination of Fifi signing with Sunrise very early during their final year leaving Marty with nowhere to go and also Paul Murray being added to the show which was ultimately the reason why it ended.

As far as I’m concerned Meshel has never felt that way about Marty, maybe her old Nova1069 Brisbane co-hosts but not Tim or Marty. They used to be good mates. Marty even mentioned her in a story he told on his show last year or the year before in which they uploaded to insta and Meshel commented by adding to the joke. If you listened to the show you would know that Tim and Marty never really ganged up on Meshel, so maybe more of a kind of show that you would listen to?

I don’t think it was a secret that Marty and Kate didn’t get along, on his outgoing speech he didn’t even mention her, he’s made veiled jokes about her since leaving (and not the ones he makes about mates like Fifi, Tommy Little or Nick Cody). He even remarked on air once that they moved the whole show to Sydney to cater just for her.

2 Likes

What’s the appeal of Kate? I realise she played a much loved character for many, many years on Home and Away, but on the radio I find her to be quite bland.

6 Likes

I agree but it seems a former soapie star is popular with middle aged women and that’s the prime focus of Nova these days.

4 Likes

Well, Fi Fi left before her contract was up and Marty admitted years later that he had become toxic.

“We were doing lightweight chit-chat that was based on me being mean or rude or unflattering, and Fifi being asked to cop that five days a week. And that wore her down as well.”

It wore Box down so much that she left before their contract was up. “Looking back at it, I had fallen in love with myself beyond words,” Sheargold said.

“I just became really punchy, really aggressive … I resisted the sensibilities of the breakfast shift, probably wasn’t ready to do that bigger shift at a station that at the time was going through a lot of positional changes.

“I used that as an excuse for why we weren’t going well, pointed the finger at a lot of different people over that journey and wasn’t accountable for any of my own behaviour.

“So that collapsed. Fi (Box) had signed a deal in our second year to do the Sunrise weather job, so I’d lost an on-air partner 18-months into a two-year deal.” Sheargold admits he became “really toxic and cancerous” when his co-host left

https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/tv/radio/how-marty-sheargold-almost-destroyed-his-career/news-story/ecb7b325d15549fde970f4b18132a784

Good to finally see Nova change their entry mechanic for their latest major tactic.

Yes, it is a rehashed promo (First Class & $50k), but this time you don’t just get on-air to be in the draw. You must register, listen for your name & call back to go in the draw.

Not completely original, but at lease it focuses on TSL this time rather than just cumes which is what Nova always like to boast about.

Win First Class Tickets & A Whoppin’ $50K Spending Money, On Us - Nova FM

1 Like

When do we expect the announcement of richie joining Fitzy and Wippa?

2 Likes

They sure are dragging it out. My guess is it will be announced at the end of the survey before the Easter break… Kate to join the show after the Easter holidays.

3 Likes

Belle Jackson hosting Nova 100 breakfast solo today, to celebrate International Women’s Day. Ben is pushing the buttons and Liam is taking calls.

Guests have included Bridget Hustwaite and Georgie Tunny.

Edit:

5 Likes

Gees I wish ALL Nova’s were like Nova100 brekkie.

Youthful & fresh.

3 Likes

Interestingly, there was the first mention of Kate Ritchie this week when Fitzy and Wippa were joking about someone appearing on Australia’s Got Talent.

More interesting was a segment about something happening in businesses called “Quiet Firing”. A bit close to home with Fitzy and Wippa making jokes about it with Matt de Groot. He made some sarcastic and veiled comments which were obviously about the recent sacking of Sarah MacGilvray. At one point he was about to say something that might have been risky to his own job, so he had to stop himself.

Listen from 11:36

2 Likes

Very interesting, talking about the subject, and treading on egg shells at the same time.
Quote of the Podcast “No one has been quietly fired from this show.”

A not so subtle dig at management.

2 Likes

Yes!! the rumors are true. Ricki Lee is joining Blackwell and Creasey

6 Likes

Ooohhh. Wheres that from?

1 Like

Tim Joel and Ricki Lee sounds better

3 Likes

It’s on their socials now.

1 Like