Nova Network

Quite often I’ve heard the presenters talking about their great Spotify playlists or how to create a brilliant Spotify playlist. I don’t get it. Streaming services are their competition. I keep thinking to myself: You’re just teaching your listeners how to stop listening to Nova because they hate your playlist.

5 Likes

How much of the rot is due to Murdoch Jr I wonder?

2 Likes

That and Jackson a lot, he’s done well with Smooth but doesn’t get Nova.

5 Likes

Nova back in the day (Melbourne anyway) where thru played only the hits with no ads is what they did well at. Then they moved to ads once every half an hour or so which was still something not herd of but now nova have gone stale, I mean why would you ditch your iconic branding (the nova boy) and go for something boring like they have now? Even the tv commercials remind me of a classic hits station (Coldplay?).

I listen to Kate Tim and Marty but the music has been the same for the past 12 months, its really odd.

3 Likes

That’s because every second song is a throwback now so it sounds like they’re stuck in a rut. They just recycle through the same Throwbacks so it just sounds like the music hasn’t changed.

After bringing back Throwback Thursdays yesterday but now only playing throwbacks all day, they are also still doing Feelgood Fridays today which is heavy on the throwbacks too. Every second song is a throwback. :poop:

This morning they are also doing a “best of” Fitzy and Wippa. They did it last week on Friday too so I guess they’ve cut back to doing four live shows a week. Must be because corona virus has led to cutbacks and pay cuts.

1 Like

Thought this was probably most relevant here given the conversation, even though Keegs former employer was SCA.

7 Likes

Same in Sydney.

1 Like

But at the same time, if they want to be relatable they shouldn’t deny that they exist and are popular. Just like how theyre reluctant to mention news with announcers from other stations

2 Likes

Out of interest what consoles went into their refurbished Sydney studios?

3 Likes
1 Like

I’m not saying ignore Spotify exists, but don’t give people a “How To” stop listening to Nova and choose spotify. It’s just as stupid when you see free to air chat shows spruiking Netflix programs. Yeah, keep advising people on how to stop watching your own channel for streaming services. That’ll end well.

4 Likes

Any idea where Kate Ritchie is on Nova? Wasn’t on air for the last 2 weeks before break and today still isn’t on the show.

2 Likes

New Nova 96.9 studios.

3 Likes

I could be wrong but they look like Lawo consoles. If that’s the case they’ve followed Macquarie/ Nine Radio’s lead.

4 Likes

I think you’re correct, they look like the Lawo Ruby to me. The Sydney techs had a demo Lawo board that they were trying out about 4-5 years ago.

Studios look very swish. Unsurprisingly, I’m getting a Capital vibe.

4 Likes

I actually prefer the Nova studio to the Global fitouts (since Capital, Heart, Radio X etc. have all been given the same treatment now)

2 Likes

They look good, better than HIT and KIIS’s videowall looks.

3 Likes

Tim mentioned on the show today that Kate’s on ‘extended leave’.

2 Likes

For those interested in more about the tehcnical side of things, there’s more here.
http://www.proaudiotv.com.au/nova-decide-on-lawo-arista-for-future-studio-project/

This project has been a long time in the making and it rolling out to all their metro markets. Gosford doesn’t rate a mention, but given that it runs a similar setup for the metro stations (although slightly lower specs) I’d be surprised if it didn’t get upgraded too.

2 Likes

It looks great and Nova has the most dated studios, so good to see they are making changes.

2 Likes