Nova Network

Same cars don’t have presets do they?

Huh? You said if you’re listening to Nova you can’t hear them say the frequency. So why do you need to hear it if you’ve already found, and listening to, Nova?

7 Likes

Frequencies are an important part of the brand, but with online streaming and DAB+ I can see why Nova (and most radio networks) are placing less of an emphasis on frequencies in their branding than they did say, 10 years ago.

Aside from anything that requires locally based production like breakfast show promos, personally I’d be very surprised if SCA (and to a lesser extent, ARN) weren’t already doing some level of centralised production of their Promos and Station IDs, etc.

3 Likes

Because I don’t listen to them religiously like you do, and don’t expect everyone to listen to the station you listen to. If they are playing a good song I might listen for that but then it’s almost guaranteed nowadays that the next song they play will be an over flogged song from 6 months ago, so I don’t hang around, I always flick back to KIIS/Fox. Sometimes I forget that they are actually on 100.3 because it’s that long since I’ve listened to them. And I wouldn’t put them in my presets… But when I do listen to them for those 2 or 3 songs, I wouldn’t mind them playing a frequency ID not just for me to know what station to tune back to when other stations are playing ads. But also for other listeners who wouldn’t put Nova in their presets either and would still have to tune their dial to their frequency if they weren’t happy with what they’re currently listening to.

I don’t expect anyone to do anything.

I’m not having a conversation with you anymore. All you seem to do is disagree, which is fine, but then go on the attack when someone doesn’t listen to Hit and you don’t respect other people’s tastes/ opinions.

Happy New Year. You’re a joy to have around here.

2 Likes

So last century.

I really don’t think many people are constantly tuning in and out to find that elusive radio station. My car is over ten years old and it has 18 preset buttons available.

Some of the newer cars have more preset buttons. When searching manually, all the stations come up automatically with the name and frequency listed and you choose them from a list.

3 Likes

And? Something wrong with that?

Likewise with you and Nova

And to you too

1 Like

You’re still using last century thinking for today. Much like 2Day and Triple M do.

3 Likes

Do you feel proud of that comment?

It’s a fact. Look at their ratings.

2 Likes

I think JBar makes some decent points. Most people have preset buttons on their car radios and many modern FM receivers (including newer car radios) will also display the station name/frequency via RDS.

As for the “last century thinking” comment…at the very least I personally think 2DayFM & Triple M could be performing a lot better, remembering that both SCA Sydney stations have consistently rated below KIIS, Smooth, WS and Nova in recent years.

2 Likes

Please play nicely everyone.

6 Likes

All three stations - KIIS, Hit and NOVA - are just poor.

There’s no consistency, no heritage, no energy and nothing to make a listener feel like they’re a part of them.

KIIS would be nothing without K&J. There’s no succession planning either. Will and Woody aren’t it.

Hit are rebuilding in Sydney but need to find that sweet spot - I would be more 90s and now Hits, with the occasional WOW 80s. They’ve missed a chance to be different by having another 3 person breakfast show instead of putting in a music personality and playing more hits than the other guys.

NOVA is scattered - they panicked at Hit’s format change and tried the blocking tactic. It’s worked so far, but they’ve really lost that “different” and “new” position in the market. Out of the three, NOVA sounds the most tired.

5 Likes

Nova is a bit messy, without KT&M and Fitzy and Wippa they’d be in a lot of trouble I reckon. In Melbourne breakfast isn’t setting the world on fire and probably skews older than they’d like.

FOX is still the strongest even though it has such an awful breakfast show that people seem to love.

In regards to frequencies, “nova 100” doesn’t tell you that much either really, they don’t matter much unless you’re a brand new entrant or have changed names recently.

1 Like

I totally agree. I’d rather it be different and new, rather than what it is right now. Unfortunately, the changes they have made have boosted their ratings, so makes it hard to argue against it.

From the success of Gold and Smooth, it’s obvious radio listeners are ageing and if 2Day, Nova and KIIS don’t try and grab some of their listeners, they will just fall further and further behind. Hence, 2Day sounding more and more like 2WS every day and Nova appealing to their original launch listeners and playing the mouldy oldies they like as they get closer to middle age.

2 Likes

I’m different in this regard - I believe if you’re in a competitive market, you should be doing everything to make sure your frequency is spot on.

NOVA 100 is stupid - it could be 99.9 or 100.1 or 100.3 … be SPECIFIC. You’re in a battle with 2 other like-sounding stations. It might have been “funky” when you were the Sounds Different format, but now you’re in a very competitive situation, you need to be fully engaged.

You have 1019 The FOX and KIIS 101.1 mentioned in every sweep. Get the frequency spot on.

I don’t understand why American stations can’t work that out either. Like WEBE 108 in Connecticut. We Be 108 - no, you be 107.9

Q104 - no, you’re Q104.3

2 Likes

I’d go slightly different - I reckon they’re the old MIX 106.5 but slightly more upbeat.

3 Likes

Yep, that’s what I think too with my limited listening of 2Day. Reminds me of Mix 101.1 (106.5 probably sounded the same) in around 2011 but with more 80s stuff and as you mentioned, more upbeat.

2Day has more R&B and rap compared to Mix.

3 Likes

I agree.

Yep, for a while now (especially during most surveys of 2018) the major battle in Sydney FM radio outside of breakfast has been more between Smooth 95.3 and WSFM than any of the younger-skewing musit stations.

Now while I personally don’t think a Smooth or WS-like format is what Nova, 2Day & KIIS should be running with, I do think all three stations might benefit from playing more 1990s/2000s tracks while still retaining a focus on new music. The days of radio stations exclusively focusing on new/recent music are coming to an end (if they haven’t ended already), because many younger listeners won’t even be listening to terrestrial radio in 2019.

I personally would’ve said that Smooth 95.3 is quite a lot like the old Mix 106.5, with a splash of older music you might expect to hear on 2CH or pre-2014 WSFM.

1 Like

to an extent I agree, but MIX could be quite upbeat on occasion, something Smooth probably needs to look carefully at to block some of the WS creep-over.

You can be Smooth but that doesn’t mean you have to be monotone - get some slick pop in there just to give it a kick.

1 Like