Nine (WIN)

You’d have to ask them.

4 Likes

Something I’ve just thought of.

While I don’t expect it to happen, with WIN swapping affiliate, and taking over the broadcasting of ONE and ELEVEN, it wouldn’t be entirely impossible to consider that they could broadcast them in MPEG-4.

It’s probably not likely to happen, but realistically, there’s nothing stopping them.

On that note this is my expectation for LCNs next month:
8 -> WIN continues (MPEG-2)
80 -> WIN HD continues (MPEG-4)
81 -> WIN continues (MPEG-2)
82 -> 9GEM becomes ONE (MPEG-2)
83 -> 9GO becomes ELEVEN (MPEG-2)
84 -> 9LIFE becomes TVSN (MPEG-4)
85 -> EXTRA becomes SPREE TV (MPEG-4)
86 -> GOLD continues (MPEG-4)
88 -> 9GO becomes ELEVEN (MPEG-2)

I also think WIN will keep their current logo for the short-term so as to try and make viewers think it’s still the same channel.

2 Likes

I reckon that something like your prediction will be how WIN allocates the LCNs from July 1.

Also…surely I’m not the only one who wouldn’t be terribly surprised to eventually see GOLD transmitted into Network Ten O&O capital city markets as part of this deal? Not that I have a particularly burning desire to receive GOLD in Sydney of course (I caught a bit of it via WIN Illawarra back in March and it was hardly riveting viewing!), just a thought more than anything else!

1 Like

Yep, I definitely wouldn’t rule it out personally.

1 Like

It is the same channel. WIN will continue to broadcast as is. The only change is most content will change to being Ten-supplied. However WIN will perform better than Southern Cross Ten ever did.

7mate is still the HD Channel in regional SA (win and SCross territory)

Win controls all commercial Rv in the SA RIVERLAND/south east territory therefore has no main affiliation as it is affiliated with all 3 newt works.

[quote=“Aurora, post:1420, topic:55”]

Obviously.
I just meant that I think they’ll keep the logo in an attempt to fool viewers that it’s still “NINE” but with new programs.

Pretty big change! That’s what they’re trying to downplay.
Anyone who thought of the channel as “Regional 9” will disagree.

Old 8: 9 programs (>90%), WIN brand, WIN programs (<10%)
New 8: 10 programs (>90%), WIN brand, WIN programs (<10%)
New 5: 9 programs (>90%), 9 brand, SC programs (<10%)

What resonates with viewers? The shows they watch or the local news and branding?

It’s going to be an amazing test for the city networks - to see what a different regional partner can really accomplish, what good will and branding can do. To see how much the partner matters.

5 Likes

i dont think so i think viewers will wake up knowing the programs were on sc10

I actually don’t think so.
Unless they currently watch SC10 a lot, people aren’t going to realise that what they’re seeing isn’t a new program, and network share for SC10 is the lowest of all commercial channels (often even lower than the ABC) in many regional areas, so realistically not a lot of people are watching it compared to the other channels.

I’ve been letting people that I know, know about the change, and from what I’ve noticed, most people have absolutely no idea anything is changing at all.
When I said “WIN” will be broadcasting on 8 still, but “NINE” will be on 5, the response I got was mostly “But WIN and NINE are the exact same thing”, most people don’t seem to understand that WIN can be it’s own thing without NINE.
On that same tune, a lot of people actually call WIN, “Channel 9” in my area now anyway, so that will add to their confusion when there will actually be a channel called Channel 9.

1 Like

I agree - this is REALLY going to confuse viewers. The masses don’t really understand network/affiliate relationships - I think people just think as the above post says - “Win and Channel 9 are the same thing - just different name” - I don’t think they think beyond that. And I don’t think a station group swapping network affiliations like WIN and SC have - really makes sense to the average viewer - nor would it if you explained it a dozen times.

To them they currently have WIN/Channel 9 and Channel Ten. (I don’t think anyone refers to it as Southern Cross" - so when these two swap one morning - it is going to be very weird.

I mean, think about it it terms of say Sydney. They have Channel 9 and Channel Ten - and it’s been that way for 2 decades. Now they wake up on Friday - put it on Channel 9 - and it’s screening Studio 10. WHAT THE? So they flick to Channel Ten - to see if they are still screening Studio 10 too - but - they have on Today. DOUBLE WTF! Imagine your average Sydney viewer - they just wouldst get it.

It’s going to be exactly the same experience in Townsville, Canberra, Wollongong, Ballarat - all over the country. This is going to confuse the heck out of viewers

5 Likes

There might be some pain in the immediate period after the changeover but I think people will soon get used to it.

Even TV novices got used to the idea of aggregation 30 years ago and that certain programs were suddenly shifting to new channels with unfamiliar names.

3 Likes

What a busy night/morning it will be for the technical guys at the networks in the wee hours of July the 1st.

5 Likes

Agree!

We’re taking about 4 or 5 tv stations and as many as 15 local broadcasting areas all switching over. Not to mention all the promos, bugs, feeds etc - it sure seems like a headache.

It will happen I guess sometime between midnight Thursday and 3am Friday.

It will be beyond interesting to see if WIN completely removes any Ten branding, and if SC stations do any local branding at all (“you’re watching channel 9 Canberra”) or if it’s all just Channel 9

5 Likes

I guess regional viewers will get an increasing disconnect from channel numbers. For many years channel “1” and “11” have been in the 50s, which didn’t make sense. Channel 99 was on 88. And now a good number of channels will suddenly swap numbers.

I wonder if a side effect will be greater channel surfing to find the channel you were after. If it is, then 7 will go well from all this.

2 Likes

Pity the Nine switchboard on the morning of July 1. WIN are too tight to even have a switchboard which has been a bugbear for many years at Nine. I bet Nine will have to play a pre-recorded message for regional viewers to explain that all Nine programs can now be found on channels 5, 50, 55 etc and make no reference to WIN at all.

5 Likes

Here in Northern Tasmania there are some people who still call Southern Cross Tas “Channel 9” from their TNT9 days. Then there’s others who call WIN “Channel 9” and then in a few weeks we’ll have to get used to calling TDT Ten “Channel 9”. Lucky we’ve got two heads to be able to process the changes!

9 Likes

Surely it should be up to SC to let viewers know where they can find Nine programming from 1 July.

1 Like

Beryl in Ayr, near Townsville won’t know who to call!

12 Likes