Nine (WIN)

I reckon it’s just another tactic to put pressure on Nine. They’re hoping Nine sees it as an attempt to take viewers away or confuse them. I don’t think it’s quite working out like that though. They can remove the times all they like, people these days know how to use an EPG.

Reminds me of the last minute changes that went on in regional Qld back in 1990 (I think it was). The Rockhampton and Toowoomba stations were promoting themselves as Star Television and were aligned with Ten, as they had been for some time. A couple of days out from the commencement of aggregation, they did a deal and became part of WIN, forcing QTV (Townsville and Mt Isa stations) who were aligned with 9 and ready to go, to switch to Ten at the last minute.

Well in less than 24 hours from now I guess we’ll know if WIN goes “blank” like some think will happen. I personally doubt they will, but should be interesting to see what does actually happen. Who knows, they could strike up a deal at 11:59pm tonight…just in time! :yum:

I noticed that earlier today when I was watching GO! - kinda annoying really. Would frustrate the viewers more than it would Nine.

Promos with no times. Interesting from WIN, The gloves are off. :sunglasses:

Posted to the net 15 mins ago …

2 Likes

[quote=“WAtvVideos, post:58, topic:55, full:true”]
Haven’t seen one promo with an actual time tonight[/quote]They have been doing that for a few weeks now (I first noticed it then anyways). Kinda pointless if this is indeed a “tactic” by WIN.

[quote=“EyewitnessTV, post:67, topic:55, full:true”]

Yes I’ve seen them pop up before, but they’ve definitely increased the last couple of nights and spread to the multi’s.

Pretty sure this is done by WIN, capped a few nights ago:

They’re still using old idents to cover actual 9Go! promos in the feed, but don’t cover the 9Go! idents between programs. So pointless.

It is understood WIN was refusing to budge during high-level talks on Wednesday afternoon.
From above smh story

So looks like the stalemate continues, Mabe that’s why the promos with no times are showing more often tonight.

So, assuming that no deal is made, will this mean that WIN will be cut off mid-U2 concert?

It is well known within the industry that the relationship between Nine and WIN has been poisonous for many years now. And as Seven is a direct competitor in QLD against WIN, I still can not see Sky News Oz being allowed to be sourced by WIN for a national news service.

Yeah good question, for WIN viewers U2 will only see half a concert. :wink:
Looks like I miss out on the classic 9 movie on new years , you can’t stop the music, WIN will be pleading you can’t cut the feed. :smiley: :scissors:

Considering how terrible Sky’s product is, it’s hardly likely Seven would be worried about WIN taking it in the areas they compete. Indeed it’s in Seven’s interest to prolong the situation of there being no Nine affiliate in the market.

I don’t think Sky are a likely source for news for WIN - but I strongly doubt that the part interest of their owners is going to have any influence over what would happen if they did.

Both parties are only going to hurt themselves if the plug is pulled on the Nine feed to WIN at midnight tonight. I’d like to think that sanity will prevail in the next 17.5 hours and SOMETHING will be negotiated.

WIN will get very little revenue (only getting ad revenue for its own programming such as Crawfords) whilst Nine will get nothing at all from WIN.

Interesting that the SMH article suggests that WIN Corp is valued at “up to $300 mil” and Nine is worth 5-10 times that. Given that Nine paid $250 mil for NBN 8 years ago (perhaps too much), I would have thought WIN comparatively speaking would be worth more than $300 mil?

To compensate for the loss of WIN signal if it occurs, I think Foxtel should offer regional areas a SD version of channel nine from Brisbane or Sydney or whatever.

I’m extremely very disappointed that the executives of both WIN and nine could act like children and not negotiate as sensibly as they can. Maybe feeling very disappointed is a huge understatement in how I feel now.

To make matters worse this outcome could have been prevented. At a time when everybody is supposed to enjoy the festive season.

Both WIN and nine should be ashamed of themselves.

An agreement has been signed.

"Nine Entertainment Co. (ASX:NEC) and WIN Corporation (WIN) have today agreed to extend their affiliation agreement for 6 months to 30 June 2016, on terms that provide for additional payments to Nine over that period. NEC and WIN have also agreed to work together on a range of opportunities relating to their content and to the mutual growth of their respective businesses. The agreement continues the 27 year partnership between the two networks, and ensures continuing carriage of Nine Network’s programming to all Australian homes.

Hugh Marks, CEO of NEC, said “Broadcast television is evolving, but the role of the affiliate and its relationship with the local community remains important. This extended deal with WIN ensures Nine’s premium content continues to be available to all Australians for free, 24 hours a day.”

1 Like

“on terms that provide for additional payments to Nine over that period.”

Which means ?

It means that WIN have agreed to pay Nine additional payments over the term of their six month agreement.

Now that that’s been sorted, I suppose it’s full steam ahead for the speculation train now that WIN and Southern Cross now both have affiliation agreements expiring on 30 June

Is that additional payment their advertising revenue that Nine was wanting ?