Nine (WIN)

Indeed.

But, would WIN be able to develop it’s own Idents, news theme, general branding and graphics in such a short space of time? I think we can all agree that WIN would already be planning for the worst case scenario, however with the amount of work that would need to be done, then surely it would take quite a few more months to do an adequate job in producing it’s own Idents, branding, news theme etc. Especially considering how reliant WIN is on Nine branding and elements. I completely agree with you, but I don’t know if WIN could adequately undertake all those tasks in time for the potential scenario.

It’s best practice (read: common sense) to have business continuity plans in place on a permanent basis. If indeed an agreement isn’t reached which results in WIN having to do their own thing, they won’t be caught with their pants down.

2 Likes

As far as music goes, knowing WIN they’d probably use some tracks out of the Audio Network production music library.

As far as graphics are concerned, I guess that the old generic “Entertaining Australia” Idents could be brought back. As for Lineup, Promo, Sponsor, etc graphics well who knows really!

1 Like

WIN should get this guy to do their package…

http://www.mediaspy.org/forum/index.php?/topic/25260-ten-rebrand/

2 Likes

I will be interested to see where WIN will source their national news from.

2 Likes

I’m not saying that WIN wouldn’t already have something in place if the potential scenario did occur. It wouldn’t make sense if they were unprepared for such an outcome. However, would they be able to replace all of Nine’s branding, graphics and elements in time for the 1st January? As @bubandbob suggested, they could just use some of their “Entertaining Australia” idents to replace the current Nine Idents, however what could they do for a news theme and graphics? Basically all of WIN’s current Idents, presentation, graphics and audio are inspired by Nine. It would be a sudden and drastic change for WIN if they had to remove all Nine’s elements and replace them in time for a few days.

Maybe WIN could re-launch it’s “All Australian News” as a national-news service?

[Sorry to double post]

That won’t cut it. Viewers in Wollongong (for example) have little to no interest about local news stories in Rockhampton, Cairns, or Wagga Wagga. They will need to provide a proper national news service, on par with Prime7’s news offerings.

AAP/Reuters? That would probably cover off most of the stuff they couldn’t send their own reporters to cover, and doing statewide editions would mean they could round out a bulletin with local news.

Why aren’t we all on the WIN payroll? The MediaSpy brains trust. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Idents and theme music would be the least of WIN’s problems if they reject Nine. They have libraries and libraries of in-house idents and let’s not forget WIN News has always had their own theme music, they just demoted it to the closer. They’ve got bigger fish to fry, like actual programming and a suitable national news source. What’s stopping Bruce from doing a deal with Sky News Au? Rupert only part-owns it.

1 Like

As NEC part owns Sky News Oz still, you can bet NINE would not let WIN access Sky News Oz at all. What is to stop WIN doing a deal with their Media Hub partner, the ABC for the ABC to produce a national news service? If that were to happen, be sure that the NINE newsroom will stop sharing vision to the ABC newsroom.

Ownership stakes don’t mean control of decisions - Sky are a business and there’d be no reason to refuse WIN as a customer.

Even if WIN don’t do a deal by midnight tomorrow, it doesn’t mean suddenly Nine hate them as a company. They would still be seeking to do a deal with them on affiliation, and the actions on both sides would reflect that.

The Australian and AFR have been quiet lately I wonder if they will have an update on the situation tonight or tomorrow.

Plus WIN part own Nine, and that means jack with these negotiations.

[quote=“chuck, post:54, topic:55, full:true”]
The Australian and AFR have been quiet lately I wonder if they will have an update on the situation tonight or tomorrow.
[/quote]Depends, they may be in the same situation as us: without a clue as to what is actually transpiring.

I wonder if Nine are considering rushing out their 9Now service in the New Year. Even if some sort of deal is struck.

In WIN-land in Dalby (Southern QLD) at the moment. It’s been balls galore on both GEM and GO! with promos and watermarks etc for the whole time I’ve been here.

Not sure if this is a regular thing or not.

Haven’t seen one promo with an actual time tonight

Thats very strange to not have times. I wonder why? Even if they lose affiliation, it still is not going to do anything by not having the times. All it does for the viewer is make them wonder when on a wednesday a show is on.

Quite normal mate. The last few nights almost all promos on both Go! and Gem have been removed, although some have slipped through. Go! tonight has pretty much been Save Our Voices and generic WIN promos here.

1 Like