Nine (WIN)

Sorry. Another poor attempt at humour.

3 Likes

If I was so inclined, i’d drop a post on WIN’s facebook page :wink:

3 Likes

Bruce Gordon was rumoured to be looking to float WIN Corporation on the ASX in 2001, story from November 2000:

and in 2010, story from October 2009:

Is it time for another rumour?

3 Likes

A rumor based on what? Your own speculation?

Who would want to invest in a tv station group who is not in the business of content creation and only in the (declining) business of selling ads in someone else’s content?

Sure way to lose your money

7 Likes

I didn’t speculate anything. It’s simply about another ten years since the last rumour. I guess I should have used an exclamation mark.

2 Likes

Ah ok, sorry :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is this a home videotape that someone has taped off the telly or something used internally at WIN? Surely they weren’t putting VHS to air?

3 Likes

No they wouldn’t have been putting VHS to air. This would have been a copy given to an advertiser or sponsor for a TVC that WIN produced for them.

However in this case, it looks like it was taped over with “Leah’s weather update”. Who is Leah? Have you watched the tape? If it’s a genuine weather update it was probably given to “Leah” for her show reel.

3 Likes

Doesn’t look like much tape in that cassette. It might’ve been given to a person on work experience or from a tour group as a memento of their visit to the studio. It was common to let such visitors fool around and practice presentation in front of a green screen during such visits.

7 Likes

if you look at the 1st photo even though its scribbled out its says win sponsorship -act netball 1x30

1 Like

My guess is that this was one of those “weather presenter visits a local primary school” things, and Leah was a student featured.

2 Likes

It looks like a bulk no name 15 minute cassette.

1 Like

@Si-Co @tonks8526 @NewsWeary @JasonF @T-Mac @littlegezzybear

I have checked out the tape. “Leah” (Leah Slattery) was a reporter/presenter at WIN during the '90s it seems.
The tape in question includes her reports from the Central West and presenting from Canberra, but doesn’t go for very long and doesn’t include much. The tape seems internally sourced but taped over with her “showreel” and isn’t the best quality I might add.
I have uploaded the contents of the tape to my Aussie TV Archive Youtube channel and her “Weather Update” can be viewed below!

Leah also features in other VHS tapes I bought at the same garage sale which includes her reports as a Europe correspondent for the Ten Network in the early 2000s. These can also be viewed on my channel.

7 Likes

The original 4:3 stretched out to 16:9 isn’t flattering; was there any option to specify it as 4:3 (when encoding or uploading)?

1 Like

It was the way it was taped. It looked the same on my tv when I hooked the VHS up.

1 Like

Back then TV broadcasts and VHS recordings didn’t had no idea of 16:9 (no data encoding the aspect ratio, it was just assumed your TV is 4:3 and so will show it as 4:3), so it needs to be manually set when encoding (although I thought maybe YouTube might have added a way to set it when/after uploading).

4 Likes

You should be able to change your television’s aspect ratio setting to get it in the right AR.

2 Likes

:man_facepalming:

4 Likes

VHS was put to air in extreme cases. SVHS sometimes too.

As for that aspect ratio, it needs to be set - as has been said - because before wide-screen there was no WSS line present in the video signal.

5 Likes

… like smart phone video (what’s more in vertical AR) …