Nine (WIN)

The WIN (map) logo is shown in full in the Illawarra. :confused: Must only be happening just where you are.

oh no!

11 Likes

Hahaha. Don’t tease!

Wrong thread (unfortunately).

So if Uncle Bruce loses his chance to own Ten, will we see him threaten to program his own network like when he had the stoush with Nine?

1 Like

Fucken Crawford’s back catalog 23/7 with All Australian News and Win News.

6 Likes

I just hope he doesn’t start to increase his activity at NEC, of which he has a 15% stake.

Fantasising a bit (wildly), but is there any way for a listed company (NEC) to forcefully remove a potentially harmful shareholder (WIN) and have the shares sold off to a new owner (and preventing Fox)?

Maybe the reach rule will be removed and Bruce will sell WIN to CBS for a nice sum to be able to disappear into the Bermuda sunset to lick his wounds from the court case loss. At least he’ll be able to stream from afar after losing the last court case.

8 Likes

Relaying a separate content stream isn’t free. Someone has to pay for the shows on 9Life and that cost is passed on to affiliates in one form or another. Southern Cross is 100% a cost-driven company. An HD simulcast doesn’t attract an additional content cost.

Bruce could sell his network tomorrow if he wants to. Rupert owned WIN-4 in the 1960 and 70s, he could buy it back now Ten is not an option.

2 Likes

Interesting. There was no “recovery mode” dirty feed on WIN Tas (or in NSW it seems) this afternoon. This must’ve just occurred in Qld I guess?

Although something I did noticed today while recording stuff for a mate was the blue stain (I refuse from now to call this thing a “watermark”) went MIA for hours from around 2pm. Sure made them watchable for a change!

You’ve quoted the wrong member here mate. @WAtvVideos

Yeah the blue “stain” was MIA here also, as was the WIN coverup circle.
So while recovery mode was on, we just had the dirty Ten feed, which was fantastic.

After recovery mode ended, we had completely logo and watermark free WIN for a little while.
Although, the “stain” did animate in with each PRG, but then faded out to nothing.

3 Likes

I never implied it should be free. It’s just disappointing that 9Life wasn’t part of the last affiliation deal between Nine and the regionals, especially now that these joint ventures are becoming more profitable.

4 Likes

It is disappointing that some regional areas are still missing out on the full suite of network channels like 7flix and 9Life that are available to metro and some selected regional viewers due to it being omitted in the last deals in these areas.

I personally couldn’t care less about being able to access 9Life again as most of the content on it doesn’t interest me (I know people who want both though). However, I wouldn’t mind having access to 7flix via terrestrial as an alternative (yes, streaming is an option but it just isn’t the same with substandard quality received etc).

5 Likes

More disappointing that these areas actually had 9life at one point but don’t now

1 Like

Why so defensive? I think we all agree it’s disappointing, I was just pointing out one of the reasons 9Life may not be part of the current package. There has been a lot of chatter about “bandwidth” being a reason, but clearly this isn’t the case. These channels have tiny margins (and audiences) and can only survive based on national sales.

It’s like moaning that Canberra only has four commercial radio stations, but Sydney has 11.

I have worked in TV and radio for a long time and attest to the fact that budget dictates all decisions in companies like SCA. Bruce is part of the old skool where moguls ran their businesses based on emotion and revenge.

2 Likes

How was I being defensive?

Sort of. It’s more like moaning that Tasmania (pop. 500k) doesn’t have 9Life but Darwin (pop. 150k) does, regardless of ownership and affiliations.

5 Likes

This bit: ‘I never implied it should be free.’

That’s a quirk of ownership. Lucky Darwin, Channel 8 is owned by Nine, but at least Tasmania has two locally produced commerical news services, unlike the NT.

Well, if it was ever to be sold to the Indo-Asian market, there wouldn’t be much local news.

If it was sold to PRIME, maybe.

If it was sold to SCA, you’ll get the same.

The Crawfords channel could be an interesting idea or maybe a general entertainment channel mixing the old with the new programs produced by either WIN or Ten including WIN News and Family Feud, but also classic such as the Sullivans and Carsons Law and Acropolis Now and maybe even some mini series from times gone by. Regions without WIN News could screen either Skippy or Fishing Australia at the time that the channel run encores of WIN News.

They could incorporate it into the GOLD channel from say 5pm til 11pm slot and deviate from home shopping in that timeslot.

If they are worried about revenue loss from the umpteenth time they air those infomercials on Gold, perhaps they could move an hour to 10am weekdays on 11 instead of Dr Quinn Medicine Woman that seems to have been placed on repeat for the past 2 years after they decided to “rest” Touched By An Angel and then maybe an hour on one from 11am til 12pm instead of MASH. Just suggestion, probably be like most other idea on here, went straight to the trash bin

Like I said, regardless of ownership which you conveniently ignored. If you’re an average viewer, you don’t know or care about who owns what and what levels of local content your region gets. All you care about is 9Life used to be there and now it’s gone. Their frustration is completely understandable.

7 Likes