Nine (WIN)

I would like to see it go black just to see the uproar it would cause and see how WIN would program there network?

1 Like

Still no new deals by the end of today (Tuesday)?
Wow! This is going to be extremely interesting to see what happens

Something tells me they would fail miserably, unless Scripps comes to the rescue?

Scripps isn’t a bottomless pit and even then it’s mostly just cable-styled lifestyle and food programming. Hardly enough for a competitive mainstream FTA network. And then there’s the question of Australian content. A Susie-type substitute and a back catalogue of Crawfords dramas is not going to cut it.

In 2007 WIN and Nine just reverted to a month by month arrangement after the former contract expired, pending further negotiation. I could imagine a similar thing happening now. Because for any time that Nine Network programming isn’t showing in the regions then that’s revenue that Nine is missing out on, so it’s not in their interests to just cut WIN off completely now. And if Nine does do a deal with SCA then WIN will just crawl to Ten (or vice versa).

2 Likes

That is my thinking as well, you only think how much of Australia WIN covers that is a lot of lost revenue for Nine,

Well there’s always the NZ networks for that.

There’d be a lot of US syndicated programming that doesn’t make it over here yet, and they could probably do a deal with a US studio for some movies and repeats of mainstream programming.

How long can that realistically last for though?

People will notice the lack of Nine content pretty quickly - I suppose that its a good thing that it expires during non-ratings

HRH wrote:

WIN will have a fallback plan well and truly in place for any disputes
that go beyond what anyone here is speculating. The same as Nine has a
fallback for the cricket to be broadcast to the regional areas.
They know, we don’t, as so much of what has been posted here and elsewhere shows

I do agree with this, the flavour of the discussion has been a circular one with no purpose.
Clutching at straws.

Well presumably you’re about to enlighten us all with your well placed sources of actual information…

I’m surprised that a deal hasn’t been reached yet. With only two days left of the affiliation deal, WIN are really leaving it to the last minute to negotiate a deal or plan for the worst case scenario. Even though, I can’t see WIN going “blank” at 12am on the 1st January 2016. Something would already be planned/decided on behind the scenes.

They would have planned for the “worst case scenario” ages ago.

2 Likes

Is WIN required to let the public know within 24 hours that the signal might be turned off?

No I don’t think so worst case they just don’t show 9 programs they still can have local news and other programs WIN wont throw the towel in as many say something should be worked out. 9 would lose a lot of revenue. I was wondering if it went black would we still get or be entitled to 9 news? News is important after all.

Will the logo of the main channel and local news stay the same if no agreement is made with Nine by tomorrow?

I think in the short term it would. Gordon has been threatening to cut local news there were rumours that cuts would be made by WIN and Prime7 by the start of the new rating season in February so that wouldn’t be good. Would be good to have poll if you think WIN will be cut off at new years day midnight. :grin:

One would assume so. That’s one advantage of not having the dots.

They would probably have to drop the Cool Hand Luke theme in regions where it’s used.

I think the logo would stay, but the “ribbon” presentation will not.

Here is some food for fought.

Assuming that WIN hasn’t re-signed it’s affiliation deal with Nine and would have to program it’s own channels, would WIN discontinue using it’s current idents? The idents are an element of Nine’s branding and WIN wouldn’t want to broadcast Nine branding/elements if it isn’t an affiliate of the network. Of course, showing an ident would be the least of WIN’s problems, however it’s something that would be interesting to see if the above scenario did occur.

2 Likes

Good point CX7.

WIN would probably have to rebrand the local news as well. If they didn’t re-sign with Nine, I’d think that the current Nine-esque WIN News graphics, theme music and general branding wouldn’t be able to used anymore as well.

2 Likes

They could fall back on some of their older presentation packages.

For idents they could use the Christmas ones (maybe?) for a little while, or again revert to some older non-Nine based ones, eg. the Entertaining Australia ones with scenic shots of various. Mind you they’d probably have to change the music on that, as that was the same as the original box 9 ident music.

2 Likes