Nine (WIN)

Maybe someone should tell 'em about Fiver. Surely someone there could make a better sh*tstain

1 Like

I don’t know something that already looks so cheap can be on special.

The Sh!tstain is currently missing in action on the Sunshine Coast, just have the HD bug.

2 Likes

I hear if there are three comments about it, Bruce will magically make it appear.

1 Like

Make that 1, it reappeared on the next show.

Another logo to add to the list from I’m a Celebrity promos

4 Likes

I like that TEN are going to the effort to effectively produce these altered promos for them (though it would be great if they didn’t need to) but if only WIN put in the same effort in their in-house produced material then both networks would stand to gain from the strength that a consistent brand message could bring both of them when they really need it.

1 Like

I think we all know what would be the best thing for WIN to do branding wise, but probably won’t anytime soon…

Just brand the main channel as Ten, or at least “WIN Ten” or some other name which incorporates the network brand.

Precisely (for example the old Ten Southern Cross, Ten Capital or Ten Victoria logos), but as has been said here more than once, it seems extremely unlikely to happen until Bruce is gone.
If there was any sense, the separate WIN branding - plus unchanged WIN News branding and the refusal to swap LCNs with SCA - would just have been an attempt to temporarily hang onto as many Nine Network viewers from before the affiliation changes, we wouldn’t be suffering the huge mappy ■■■■■■■■■.
The financial situation will eventually force a kill off of all the local news services, but Bruce will slap even bigger & more intrusive shitstains on all 3 channels, blame Ten for his failures and still not ditch the unnecessary expense of maintaining a separate brand in an ever more interconnected world.

3 Likes

But if they’re paying to carry programming then they can call themselves whatever the want. Could be called the Bruce Gordon Power House Network if they wanted.

WIN’s problem is that they stopped caring once July 1 hit. The oversized watermark isn’t helping either

2 Likes

I was optimistic the WIN brand may carry some benefits that translate to viewer loyalty and ratings benefits.

But six months on it’s clear that WIN has suffered massive ratings slides losing the nine affiliation. And I’m not entirely sure that keeping The WIN brand has insulated them any against that.

In fact, I think it’s been very messy, confusing to viewers and perhaps damaged them. WIN has stayed on 8. It looks and feels like nine at times. Yet there is a “real” channel nine.

People expect kinda I think when SC Ten became Nine, for WIN To become Ten. But it stayed WIN. With 4 logos. But ten programmes. And 9 look and feel News.

It short it’s a mess. And I honestly think there is not much value In the WIN brand. And they would be better to go with the Ten brand. With regional and city identifiers like 7 Queensland does

Ten Canberra
Ten Wollongong

Etc

5 Likes

Viewer loyalty is temporary, out of habit (being used to pressing 8 on the remote), and taking advantage of that is why WIN refused to do the right thing by viewers and swap LCNs with SC9.
People care about content not the brand (although an irritating in-your-face shitstain can make a negative difference if you’re tossing up what to watch), and that Nine content is now on SC9.
The days of regional brands are basically gone; for how many years have viewers been used to the Ten brand on SC Ten, and 7-branded promos and sport on Prime7 (and the full Seven branding on 7Two & 7mate)?
Apparently Bruce reckons the smaller subtle WIN logo was the problem so we now get the enormous mappy ■■■■■■■■■, but despite his delusions of grandeur, we all know WIN is really Ten, so WIN’s ongoing rejection of the Ten brand is a pointless expense.

8 Likes

Yes, I agree.

It’s to the best of my understanding that even in WIN’s “home” market of Wollongong and the Illawarra (where I was actually predicting some viewer loyalty to remain under a Ten affiliation), they’re now behind Prime7 and SCA Nine in the ratings. Surely that has to be rather concerning? WIN now getting #3 ratings in a market they got #1 ratings in for decades!

If even Prime/GWN (another regional TV network with a past history of running more unique local branding than it’s metropolitan counterpart) can rebrand to Prime7/GWN7 and embrace the network branding, then WIN can and should be doing something similar.

4 Likes

If only WIN would Re-Instate the Mackay News Bulletin and Mildura to Get Their Own Prime7 News Bulletin Read in Canberra???

A company’s home market doesn’t really mean much any longer. A company’s/brand’s connection with any local area only means something when that company does things to bond with and provide services to the that community; local news being an obvious part of that, but also sponsorship of local events, sporting teams, etc.
Pre-aggregation there was just the single commercial TV station and it was easy for them to be strongly associated with the local area, now each of them (whether it’s WIN/Ten Wollongong, SC Nine Canberra, or Prime7 in the Riverina) don’t have it so easy; they actually have to work for it.
I think people sometimes overestimate the importance of that link to a local community, as well as the 6pm news lead-in. The local link creates a small preference towards one competitor over others, but that company still has to be competitive. In this case they need to provide the programming people want to watch (and Ten doesn’t have as much of that as Seven or Nine).
Over the past two decades people in the Illawarra, like the rest of the state, didn’t watch WIN because they loved mappy, but because of Nine’s content.
I think 2017 will be an interesting test case once changes properly bed-down, especially the results of the new integrated local/national/international Nine News editions for Canberra & Wollongong.

8 Likes

Do WIN always take a clean feed?

That is, do WIN use their own PRG / classification board / watermark / etc. at the start of & during each program?

How does this differ from Ch 10 (metro)?

WIN mainly uses a clean feed, but I think sometimes a direct feed from Ten is used like when the network goes into “recovery mode” with SD-only playout from Melbourne.

The last I checked (which admittedly, was before the very intrusive “map of Australia” logo was reinstated), the design of WIN’s PRGs and start of program classification info is similar to what Ten uses but not quite exactly the same. The Nine-style classification icons are still used by WIN in their On-Air Presentation as well.

From my limited observations, all the promos for Channel Ten programing on WIN are basically Ten’s promos except with WIN logos and “…on WIN” voiceover tags.

5 Likes

One thing WIN must be happy about is the BBL cricket?

1 Like

Either rebrand to WIN Ten or just Ten. Bruce needs to stop rubbing the WIN name in everyone’s faces.

6 Likes