Nine (WIN)

This HD watermark bullshit is really pissing me off. No one even checks the broadcast as it goes to air! MediaHub is a state-of-the-art, multi-million dollar facility yet no one can seem to time a fucking watermark correctly. What’s even worse is WIN has full control over their on-screen graphics. They trigger their own watermarks, not relying on metro watermark timing like SCA, yet SCA do a far better job. Can’t the system that turns on the WIN shitstain after a break be linked to turn on the HD watermark at the same time? How difficult is it really?

This has been going on for months. WIN WA must be on a screen the size of a smart phone in the corner of the presentation suite.

7 Likes

I know even the metro networks don’t always get the timing of their HD watermark additions quite right (staying on for a few frames into a commercial break, etc) but that’s ridiculous!

The occasional slip-up is going to happen. I also expect some teething problems when starting HD for the first time (like SCA’s HD watermark problems in the first month or so), but this is beyond a joke. I suspect in the next week or so they will remove it entirely like they have 3 times since July 1 already, only to bring it back soon after, usually when they update/change something on the primary channel. WIN is such an amateur operation.

1 Like

they have changed the 83 placeholder a little bit now with the map logo replacing the previous win one and now has a voice over as well

The answer is probably obvious, but why are WIN even still broadcasting that placeholder on LCN-83?

The bandwidth wasted on that would probably be better used for other purposes, like improved picture quality!

What does the voiceover say? All hail Bruce?

4 Likes

Updated placeholder:

7 Likes

They only added the voice over so they can gloat about themselves.

Just spotted 2 more logos. Thanks @Zampakid !

10 Likes

did they just say that tvsn and gold was a “premium tv channel”?

3 Likes

Still don’t get their obsession with mappy. What was wrong with the logo post the change to Ten? Too small for WIN’s standards?

3 Likes

The WIN Network - “entertaining Australia with crap programming” - since 2016!

5 Likes

soon they will start using it in promos next probably

I was thinking more something like “Entertaining Australia…with our intrusive on-screen logo!” :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

WIN Network: Triggering Australia!

14 Likes

It truly is pitiful when you look at what they have to offer… One, Eleven, TVSN and GOLD. Just think this time last year the were still affiliated with Nine and had truly premium channels with premium and high rating programs.

6 Likes

8 logos used for just one channel. #youvegottabekidding

14 Likes

Actually two* channels. SD and HD.

ducks for cover

6 Likes

Guess it depends how you look at it.

throws a tomato your way

5 Likes

I think it’s nice to see the return of mappy as a cute piece of nostalgia, though it’s plain to see that old Bruce is tooting his own horn to try and make the WIN brand distinct and now there are too many logos.

I think that the best way to reintroduce mappy would have been to make it the PRG animation, then for it to fade completely into the plain WIN wordmark, or morph into the circular coverup. Mappy is too bulky to be used as a permanent watermark, faded, coverup or otherwise.

Is it possible to request the creation of this mock idea? I don’t have the tools to create it myself.

2 Likes

Yeah, I noticed that earlier today and posted about it in the Nine Network Programming thread.

I thought the exact same thing when I saw that listed!!

What is with WIN and both using and not using the HD addition in individual markets. I’ve still never seen it used at all in QLD.