Nine (WIN)

It looks like a bulk no name 15 minute cassette.

1 Like

@Si-Co @tonks8526 @NewsWeary @JasonF @T-Mac @littlegezzybear

I have checked out the tape. “Leah” (Leah Slattery) was a reporter/presenter at WIN during the '90s it seems.
The tape in question includes her reports from the Central West and presenting from Canberra, but doesn’t go for very long and doesn’t include much. The tape seems internally sourced but taped over with her “showreel” and isn’t the best quality I might add.
I have uploaded the contents of the tape to my Aussie TV Archive Youtube channel and her “Weather Update” can be viewed below!

Leah also features in other VHS tapes I bought at the same garage sale which includes her reports as a Europe correspondent for the Ten Network in the early 2000s. These can also be viewed on my channel.

7 Likes

The original 4:3 stretched out to 16:9 isn’t flattering; was there any option to specify it as 4:3 (when encoding or uploading)?

1 Like

It was the way it was taped. It looked the same on my tv when I hooked the VHS up.

1 Like

Back then TV broadcasts and VHS recordings didn’t had no idea of 16:9 (no data encoding the aspect ratio, it was just assumed your TV is 4:3 and so will show it as 4:3), so it needs to be manually set when encoding (although I thought maybe YouTube might have added a way to set it when/after uploading).

4 Likes

You should be able to change your television’s aspect ratio setting to get it in the right AR.

2 Likes

:man_facepalming:

4 Likes

VHS was put to air in extreme cases. SVHS sometimes too.

As for that aspect ratio, it needs to be set - as has been said - because before wide-screen there was no WSS line present in the video signal.

5 Likes

… like smart phone video (what’s more in vertical AR) …

Fans of I’m a Celebrity in Coffs Harbour and Grafton won’t be happy as they miss out on tonight’s episode due to the transmitter outage.

2 Likes

but they could catch up on ten play or wait till tomorrow arvo when its replayed

2 Likes

Agreed. I reckon people in the Coffs/Clarence would be more concerned about missing out on the cricket (via Prime7) than I’m A Celebrity, Get Me Out of Here!

3 Likes

But the two Sydney teams (Sixers and Thunder) did not play tonight, so people in the region wouldn’t care.

2 Likes

New style billboards airing now… seems they have done away with the Ten style one:

Old and new comparisons:

10 Likes

could this be bruces doing?

2 Likes

Is the sky blue?

4 Likes

that and changing of the win logo

2 Likes

I’m getting some strong Nine billboard vibes from that (especially that animation of the billboard itself).

6 Likes

and that voice over sounds very much like the v/o guy they used when they were with 9

3 Likes

It is the same guy, he has always been on WIN’s payroll.

4 Likes