Nine Tennis Coverage

I’ll admit I’m talking down chances of it happening so I’m not too disappointed but atm I can’t see how anyone can be confident that it’ll happen.

Interesting they haven’t said about any of their intentions to grab the rights for the US Open 2022, I’m sure they are discussing it behind closed doors

1 Like

They had the US Open rights for many years until 2008. Last match they showed was Sam Stosur’s win over Serena Williams in 2011.

They want it (and all the other ATP/WTA events ideally), but the issue is ESPN are the host broadcasters in the US, and so have first go.

Offical Website & Replay of Tennis On Nine Event:

4 Likes

Nine confirmed at its 2022 upfronts today that it has reacquired broadcast rights to the US Open, making it the first Australian broadcaster to have all four Grand Slams simultaneously. Coverage of French Open, Wimbledon and US Open will be across Nine and Stan.

ESPN and SBS held the Australian rights up to this year’s tournament.

EDIT: it’s a three-year deal with the United States Tennis Association.

7 Likes

I am going to miss the American ESPN broadcast, they do a very good production and access to all courts on WatchESPN.

But having all 4 slams in one place makes sense

3 Likes

Good to see Channel Nine regain the rights to the US Open for the first time since 2009. Back in the early days, Nine had coverage of the US open shown on Tape delay (IIRC). Hopefully, Nine will treat the US Open Coverage with respect.

6 Likes

Good to see Nine airing all the grand slams. The US Open will be on 9Gem overnight due to time difference.

Not necessarily, if it is like the model of their RG and Wimbledon coverage this year, 1am-5am on main channel before shifting over to GEM. But who knows or cares…

I wonder if they will do the studio coverage like they did last year for all of the 3 overseas slams this time around. I don’t think that will always be a given.

Going to miss Darren Cahill, Jason Goodall and a few other ESPN commentators when I’ll have to listen to Groth, Dokic etc.

5 Likes

The length of the deal line-ups perfectly with Nine’s current Australian Open rights deal ending in 2024 as well. It means should Nine lose the rights to the AO after 2024, they can pivot their sports strategy without being ‘burdened’ with the US Open rights for years after. That might be the case though with the French Open and Wimbledon considering those three-year deals end after the 2023 tournaments.

1 Like

In answer to a question after the upfronts tonight CEO Mike Sneesby said the AO would be back in January next year.

2 Likes

Glad that the Australian Open will be back to January.

Good get in the US Open too for 2022 onwards.

3 Likes

Nine grabs US Open

Nine grabs US Open

Nine today announced it has secured the exclusive rights to the US Open in 2022, in a landmark three-year deal. Nine is now the home for all four Grand Slams tournaments.

Channel 9 and Stan Sport will bring viewers all the action from one of the oldest tennis championships in the world, with the big names, thrilling matches and great stories live from New York City. Will 2022 see the rise of the new crop of tennis stars? Or redemption for this year’s runner-up in the tournament, Novak Djokovic?

Director of Nine Sport, Brent Williams , said: “We are thrilled to have one of the world’s most prestigious sporting events in the US Open coming to Nine and Stan Sport. Today’s exciting announcement makes us the exclusive home of all four tennis Grand Slams.

“With the Australian Open, Wimbledon, Roland Garros and now the US Open, we have expanded both our FTA and live streaming offering, with unprecedented coverage of elite tennis all year round.

“We are excited that fans will be able to access every superstar player, every thrilling match and every single point of these iconic tournaments on a Nine platform.”

United States Tennis Association Chief Revenue Officer, Lew Sherr , said: “We have always admired the Nine Network’s coverage of the Australian Open, so we know that the US Open has found a great home on Nine and Stan Sport.

“They have a proven commitment to tennis and a demonstrated ability to elevate and integrate the sport’s presentation across all their platforms.”

And our tennis coverage doesn’t stop there. As well as rights to all four Grand Slams, Channel 9 and Stan Sport have the broadcast rights to the Davis Cup, Billie Jean King Cup and Laver Cup Tennis Tournament. Plus all the summer lead-up tournaments to the Australian Open, including the ATP Cup.

6 Likes

and in the mornings/early afternoon so as not to disrupt Nine’s daytime schedule.

5 Likes

Cue the “Australia’s Home of Tennis” Promos!

7 Likes

With ESPN@‘s contract which started in 2017 ended on Monday I was expecting this to happen

3 Likes

9Gem will show a one-hour highlights of Laver Cup this Saturday (October 2) at 10am.
Team Europe dominated throughout the tournament, beating Team World 14-1 on the third and final day.

4 Likes

Laver Cup highlights:

3 Likes

Who is watching this a week later? It’s not the 1990s

7 Likes