Nine Tennis Coverage

3 Likes

Watching the Adelaide International Matches Exclusively on 9Now. However, there was no WWOS watermark on the top right hand corner.

1 Like

New promo for French Open and Wimbledon with voiceover by Todd Woodbridge aired on Nine/9Gem tonight after the Super Rugby grand final. It said both tournaments would air on “screens of Nine” every night, with every match live, ad-free and on-demand on Stan.

6 Likes

i.e. Finals, potentially Aussie matches, will show on 9Gem/maybe 9.

5 Likes

There are some media reports today that the 2022 Australian Open may be forced to be played overseas because of the federal government’s stance on border closures, and fears that players don’t want to endure two weeks in hotel quarantine again.

If AO is held in Dubai next year (for example), the night session will be shown in early morning in Australia which could affect Nine’s ratings.

5 Likes

That report has been denied by Craig Tiley

6 Likes

Nine wouldn’t even want it to go ahead if that were the case, I’d reckon. Surely if that happened the AO would more likely postpone or cancel (a la Tokyo 2020). Although managed to perhaps selfishly get away with running a fairly successful tournament earlier this year, it looked touch and go at one stage there with the overseas arrivals/ quarantine debacle.

Sook harder.

2 Likes

I think Tennis Australia probably has looked into every possible scenario for next year, meaning the ABC story is at least probably partially true. Of course Tiley would deny it, even if they have discussed the possibility.

9 Likes

Let’s get through this year’s French Open, Wimbledon, Tokyo Olympics and US Open first and see how all of that goes down, before the Aus Open 2022. It’s still a long time away and knowing the past 18 months, anything can happen as the click of your fingers. At least this year’s AO was done and successfully and was a big test in terms of coronavirus, the other 2021 events aforementioned must still be sweating.

10 Likes

They are getting paid hundreds of thousands, even millions to come to the Australia Open. It’s just bloody 2 weeks quarantine. I would love to do that for the price.

3 Likes

And they’re not having to do that anywhere else in the world, so from a player’s perspective it seems OTT.

This isn’t saying Australia’s approach is right or wrong but ultimately the protection of Australian citizens could come at a cost of major events.

5 Likes

The draw for this year’s Davis Cup was announced overnight. Group matches will be played simultaneously at the end of November in Turin (Italy), Innsbruck (Austria) and Madrid (Spain). Australia will play all their group matches in Turin, against Croatia and Hungary.
The final will be held in Madrid on December 5.

Nine has the rights to all Davis Cup matches involving Australia, while BeIN Sports will show other matches including the final.

9 Likes

Nine Schedule for main channel shows French Open late night live broadcasts in all markets on the main channel. Coverage beings on 9Gem at 6:30pm with play beginning at 7:00 pm AEST each day.

6 Likes

Good to see 9 proving extensive coverage of Roland Garros this year. SBS started their coverage at 8:30pm

8 Likes

SBS started from 10-10.30, Fox had exclusive rights to the first 3 hours

Impressive schedule from Nine including a pre-show every day. I do wonder how ratings will go for them.

Also will be interesting to see how their coverage will be, how much of the world feed they will use…

5 Likes

So just prime time games on Nine, and other games on Stan Sport?

3 Likes

On the first Saturday of the tournament (June 5), early evening coverage will be on 9GO! due to Super Rugby Trans-Tasman on 9Gem.

5 Likes

That’s pretty good French Open coverage. Much better than when Nine last had the rights.

Good decision to have main channel coverage after primetime rather than keep it all on 9GEM.

9 Likes

I am surprised they aren’t keeping some exclusivity on Stan as a way to get subscribers.
Yes, they have all the courts but by the looks of the schedule Nine will be showing coverage all the way through the day (even allotted time in the morning on GEM for the new night sessions). Only the real tennis sickos are going to want access to all courts

2 Likes