Nine Tennis Coverage

It’s unacceptable that there’s no TV coverage of the Sydney International. You got Stosur & Ebden playing yet the new ‘home’ of tennis decides to stick with regular programming…

2 Likes

SYDNEY INTERNATIONAL - BROADCAST SCHEDULE - Tuesday 8 January

All matches will be broadcast on 9Gem in all markets.

DAY SESSION
Starts 12.00pm AEDT

P. Kvitova (CZE) vs A. Sabalenka (BLR)

J. Ostapenko (LAT) vs A. Barty (AUS)

ATP - J. Millman (AUS) vs F. Tiafoe (USA)

NIGHT SESSION
Starts 7.00pm AEDT

C. Giorgi (ITA) vs A. Kerber (GER)
A. de Minaur (AUS) or D. Lajovic (SRB) vs R. Opelka (USA)

You’d think Nine would at least be airing the matches in primetime on the main channel here in Sydney…

2 Likes

I was a regular for the first couple of days of the Sydney tournament back in the early 2000s, and remember there always being decent crowds. Admittedly Martina Hingus was a drawcard. Looking at the 9Now stream of the main stadium it seems there is almost no one there. Maybe Nine foresaw a lack of interest?

4 Likes

Maybe if an Aussie makes a final or the final?

Like last summer, de Minaur made the final and fought hard, coming runner up. The audience was well over 400k on 7mate, which is huge for a multi-channel, giving it a rare share of over 10% ! (only occured twice IICC in 2018).

So if this happens, might entice Nine to move to main channel?

Near empty stadium as the final match of the first day ended at around 12:20am.

Copyright at the end of the livestream on 9Now.

3 Likes

The Sydney International generally has a strong WTA field but a ‘weaker’ ATP field which might explain why unlike the Brisbane International (which is generally pretty balanced), Nine isn’t showing any of it on the main channel

The big guns don’t like playing the week before Aussie Open currently, unless it’s perhaps an exhibition format. It appears like that will change with the team’s event:

2 Likes

So they skip the first hour…for what???

SYDNEY INTERNATIONAL - BROADCAST SCHEDULE - Wednesday 9 January

All matches will be broadcast on 9Gem in all markets.

DAY SESSION
Starts 12.00pm AEDT

D. Schwartzman (ARG) vs G. Garcia-Lopez (ESP)

S. Halep (ROU) vs A. Barty (AUS)

S. Tsitsipas (GRE) vs G. Andreozzi (ARG)

NIGHT SESSION
Starts 7.00pm AEDT

M. Fucsovics (HUN) vs J. Millman (AUS)

S. Stephens (USA) vs Y. Putintseva (KAZ)

1 Like

My EPG has a number of different programs showing for the Aus Open on Nine: Pre Show (10am to 11am), Day (11am to 4pm), Afternoon (4pm to 7pm), Night (7pm to 10:30pm) and Late (10:30pm to midnight) (that is just main channel by the way).

I don’t really see a point for viewers with this, the tennis is all the same essentially. So it must indicate something internal at Nine, whether they’re the ratings codings or the shifts for the hosts or both?

Too much split.
Seven only split last year’s Australian Open telecast into three segments: day, night and late night.

1 Like

Pretty sure @TV.Cynic said Seven added another one “Early” (for the night preview or whatever)?

There’ll also be seperate codings for the 9Gem and 9Go! (1 hour during news) broadcasts, what was previously 7Two and 7mate respectively (they called it “Feed 2”).

1 Like

And for 9Go! in the mornings in Perth.

1 Like

When the draw comes out you’ll see matches “not before 4pm or 7pm” etc so it does help Nine and the AO work out who’s being watched.

3 Likes

Maybe it’s just me, but I feel like Nine’s tennis coverage has been…underwhelming to say the least.

The commentators and graphics are OK, but some of the hosts are quite unprofessional (Tim Gilbert), whilst others are insufferable for rolling sports coverage (Tony Jones). Furthermore, the coverage lacks authenticity as quite a lot of it appears to be hosted in the Nine studios rather than on the ground. So much for making use of exclusive rights and access…

I know the Australian Open is next week, but so far I feel rather disappointed by Nine’s coverage (at times, it’s worse than Seven’s which wasn’t great either). Hopefully I’ll be proven wrong next week.

2 Likes

I (like everyone should do) will wait until after the Aus Open is finished to make judgement.

Aren’t Nine just taking TA’s production (vision/graphics at least) for the lead-up tournaments anyway? Nine will have their own graphics package/direction/producers/commentators from Monday.

Watching the Australian Open draw live on YoUTube channel. Coverage took place at Margaret court arena. James bracey hosted coverage.

2 Likes

Does this mean Nine are sticking with the hideous TA graphics?

2 Likes

I am thinking that answer is yes. They whole coverage so far has been spend the least amount of money. And if that means someone else is doing graphics just piggyback off them and not spend money on production yourself.