Nine Tennis Coverage

6 Likes

Yes it is, he’s also the Cricket Australia Pre Match Ceremony MC.

3 Likes

Thanks for the correction everyone.

Maybe next year Nine should do a split screen: show the toss and warm up of men’s doubles final on a small window at the corner, while the interview with the winner of women’s singles final continues on the main window.

3 Likes

Also only for doubles, have the name that is Serving shown in yellow font.

I get the arrow showing the who has Serve, but in doubles it doesn’t show who is actually serving.

2 Likes

Brings me back memories of A*mazing

3 Likes

Nine’s turn to cop it from Newscorp for theit investment in sport.

Nine’s $500m gamble backfires horrendously:
https://www.news.com.au/sport/tennis/australian-open-2023-tv-ratings-expose-channel-9s-worst-nightmare/news-story/419aed7be4e3ffcf56eddc3e746df35a

1 Like

I wonder how long Jim Courier will be keen to keep coming ‘down under’ as the main attraction so to speak of Australia’s tennis coverage? I get a feeling he may decide to call it quits (at least for a break or for the domestic coverage) after he notches up that special 20th Anniversary next summer.

Courier in 2005 (his first year and as recently revealed by MW the first year Gravity was used to assist Seven Sport > TA/Nine wwos with production facilities):
8a5a1d6bf09a5a123ea605adf638a04e5c1c2ff8.jpeg

1 Like

Probably a pretty enjoyable gig for him, not sure why he’d give it up unless he was bored of it (and he doesn’t give off that vibe).

10 Likes

News continues the trend of hiding elements of truth in paragraphs of hyperbolic tripe.

Surely the quality of the draw is something that would be concerning tennis officials

2 Likes

What a silly comment, Courier is loving the AO’s at the moment, you can hear it in his commentary and especially in his post-match interviews. Plus his voice is so easy to impersonate so thank god he’s on the coverage, hopefully for the foreseeable future.

6 Likes

Sure, there was always going to come a time when one or more of the ‘Big 3/4’ were gone and you’re waiting for a new star or two to win a few Slams within a short period and keep on building. What what we’re seeing, is one or two of the biggest veterans still powering along winning the odd tournament (Djoker, Nadal, even Murray still going sonewhat deep), while some newer stars win one - go missing for a bit - make R4 or Qtrs - come back and vice-versa. There’s no clear trend or succession, right at present, but this summer (bar World No. 1 Alcarez) has shown what we’ll be seeing in coming years. It’s just unfortunate that a number of stars / hopefuls also got injured and we didn’t get to see them.

From a TV point of view, I’m sure Nine are just happy to have solid viewers for weeks, whether it’s really high or not (though they’d never admit that), they just want good value for money and no real or big financial losses and most importantly all eyes on their new shows’ promos for Q1. If these shows domiante, then job done. You hear that line from executives over and over. Same for French Open, Wimbledon, US Open, Origins, NRL GF and we believe Olympics now too.

1 Like

What happened to Jim Courier?

In what regard?

1 Like

I heard him commentating for 9 last week but haven’t heard him this week.

EDIT: ok he is back tonight.

I assume he has been working for the international feed also?

Courier only calls games for Nine during the AO.

5 Likes

Nah, he’s in Nine’s camp, previously Seven’s. But I think in recent years, he also does some stuff for ITF/ATP/TA.

1 Like

He’s been on 9 every day of the Open from what I can recall.

5 Likes

I hope the AO keeps inviting Jim Courier back to do commentary for many years to come.I’ve always enjoyed watching his on court interviews with the winning player after their match.I remember he used to always wear a suit like in this photo,he doesn’t anymore…

4 Likes

I reckon that was just the Seven Sport wardrobe department, always have and still do. Ten did the same with their AFL.

2 Likes

100% spot on!!

The reason nine wanted tennis was for higher cross promotion to the market they are marketing too, which is females 25-45 age group.

The shows in Q1 are all to that market.

While cricket was looked as more of a male sport, and didn’t fit the Q1 shows nine are marketing to marketers.

One has to therefore ask the question, does cricket and Aus Idol actually fit the same market. I guess by lunch time Tuesday we will know.

4 Likes