Nine Tennis Coverage

To be fair, SBS provided comprehensive coverage of the French Open (as well as the backend of the US Open) for a few years before Nine/Stan took over the rights.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t call SBS’s coverage extensive compared to Nine/Stan. It was fine for SBS

1 Like

SBS only showed the 2nd week of the US Open matches (all the matches were on Arthur Ashe)

2 Likes

US Open Shop Advert

3 Likes

Not quite - they just took in the world feed (same as seen on Foxtel) and that’s without their own commentators, preview shows etc. for both tournaments.

3 Likes

What I was referring to was the amount of coverage they had (particularly for the French Open). Due to the advantages they have (eg; having exclusive rights for all four Grand Slams, having commentators on their payroll, etc), Nine has been able to go further in the coverage they provide.

7 Likes

Nine don’t have their commentary team over there in the US, does anyone know?

Nope hosting from studio and calling off tube.

2 Likes

Stan Sport’s Duncan McKenzie-McHarg is reporting on the ground at Flushing Meadows - using a mix of Stan Sport & WWOS mic and his on court interviews have been shown on Nine’s coverage of the US Open on 9GEM

5 Likes

They have producers/crew over there, including a reporter with a Wide World of Sports mic, there’s also Stan Sport presence there. Quite wonderful really, when you consider the time zone and Nine’s bloody luck they’re having a great ride with the Aussies and Nadal

3 Likes

When ESPN had the rights we only got whatever ESPN showed and put up with ESPN commentators. With Nine/Stan, I can choose whatever match I want as well as FTA coverage for the whole two weeks

1 Like

Actually ESPN were showing all the other matches live via there streaming service ESPN + back then known as ESPN 3.

5 Likes

Broadcast of the US open Day 9 concluded at 3:17PM (AEST).

3 Likes

The broadcast of day 10 of the US Open concluded at 5PM (AEST). This match between Sinner and Alcaraz sets a new record for the latest finish to the US Open.

8 Likes

4 Likes

US Open coverage wrapping up at 10:11 am. Potentially the best coverage of the tournament ever especially on FTA.

14 Likes

At the end of its telecast, Todd Woodbridge mentioned that 9GEM will also screen the Davis Cup match between Belgium and Australia live from Hamburg, Germany tomorrow night at 10PM (AEST). As well, they will also screen another Davis Cup match between France and Australia from Hamburg on Thursday from 10PM (AEST).

6 Likes

It was outstanding the coverage. First time all 4 grand slams were shown on FTA TV and on one network

8 Likes

The Davis Cup coverage has began on 9Gem. There was a good generic and brief titles opener.

Todd Woodbridge is the host from the studio, alongside Jelena Dokic. They showed a brief highlights from their latest Davis Cup Qualifier from back in March, and showed today’s line up, with two singles matches followed by a doubles match.

The first match will start shortly.

9 Likes
6 Likes